Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:15 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi All,

I just purchased a Navitimer Pluton 80191 as my first Breitling. I liked the look of it and was within my budget.
It is in very nice condition with no scratches and virtually no marks on the casing.
However, I have now looked on a few forums including this one and found many people telling about their Pluton diying and being beyond repair by Brietling so I am a little concerned (and disappointed that a Brietling watch doesn't last longer...)

Anyways so my question is, should I keep it with the risk that it might die anytime...
Or should I sell it and opt for something with a potential longer life expectancy?

Thanks

Lars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:25 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
That's a question that only you can answer.

The issue is that these early quartz movements are now obsolete - not Breitling's fault, the company that manufactured them originally doesn't make them anymore and quartz pieces aren't so easy to repair. You can get a donor movement if it does diee, but that movement will be just as old and unfortunately these pieces will eventually become paperweights. Breitling does offer a discount on a new model if the watch does become beyond repair, and now that quartz is better established and Breitling has more leverage they have committed to supporting modern quartz movements for 20 years beyond the point where they stop using them.

Matt93 likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:44 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks Roffesian,

Do you know how much discount they're offering (I'm in the UK)?
If the discount is worth the value of the Pluton then i might keep it until it dies and then "upgrade" to a new Breitling...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:52 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

tek_uk wrote:
Thanks Roffesian,

Do you know how much discount they're offering (I'm in the UK)?
If the discount is worth the value of the Pluton then i might keep it until it dies and then "upgrade" to a new Breitling...

No idea what BUK's policy is, sorry. Other UK members may.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:40 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Also, does anyone know if the Jupiter Pilot of the same era (which has a Miyota C3510 movement I believe) is any better?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:04 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
tek_uk wrote:
Hi All,

I just purchased a Navitimer Pluton 80191 as my first Breitling. I liked the look of it and was within my budget.
It is in very nice condition with no scratches and virtually no marks on the casing.
However, I have now looked on a few forums including this one and found many people telling about their Pluton diying and being beyond repair by Brietling so I am a little concerned (and disappointed that a Brietling watch doesn't last longer...)

Anyways so my question is, should I keep it with the risk that it might die anytime...
Or should I sell it and opt for something with a potential longer life expectancy?

Thanks

Lars

You're diappointed it doesn't last any longer? Your 80191 is at least 20 years old. Imho that's pretty good longevity for a quartz watch. Spare movements for these Pluton's are readily available from a variety of donor watches and I always have three or four of them laying around just waiting for a cheap, non-working, Pluton to appear that someone has given up on. I suggest you don't worry about it and wear it until it dies, if ever, and then grab another movement.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:34 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

tek_uk wrote:
Also, does anyone know if the Jupiter Pilot of the same era (which has a Miyota C3510 movement I believe) is any better?

Thanks

All early quartz movements are obsolete.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:44 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

@vintage
Well i'm a little bit disappointed in that they were military grade watches so i assumed even the movements were built to run a very long time (It looks like they were on the Brietling Catalog until 1997 so that's not that long ago)
But i think you're right, i'll try and stop worroying and enjoy it! Carpe Diem! :-)
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:46 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

and just one last comment (and I stop, promised! :-)), it looks like the intruder which was manufactured up until 99 or 2000 has the same movement as well. Does hyone know if it was also a Miyota 652 or a more modern version of it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
tek_uk wrote:
and just one last comment (and I stop, promised! :-)), it looks like the intruder which was manufactured up until 99 or 2000 has the same movement as well. Does hyone know if it was also a Miyota 652 or a more modern version of it?

The Intruder used the same Miyota 652 movement as every other Breitling with that dial and pusher configuration. I don't think they were ever a military grade (whatever that is) movement and just a regular ani/digi movement that was adapted for military style watches. They were of much better quality than there ESA predecessors and many are still working today without any issues.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:42 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks Vintage. What I mean by "Military grade" is that these watches were issued to some air-forces pilots, may not be relevant though. I'll keep an eye on Y652 movements on the Bay for spare movement, for peace of mind... :-).

Oh, and if anyone has a spare Pilot 20mm bracelet they want to sell, let me know! :-)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:28 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

vintage wrote:
tek_uk wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks

Lars

You're diappointed it doesn't last any longer? Your 80191 is at least 20 years old. Imho that's pretty good longevity for a quartz watch. Spare movements for these Pluton's are readily available from a variety of donor watches and I always have three or four of them laying around just waiting for a cheap, non-working, Pluton to appear that someone has given up on. I suggest you don't worry about it and wear it until it dies, if ever, and then grab another movement.

What other watches can the movement be stole from?
I have access to a broken pluton at a good price.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:31 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

You need an ESA Y2 900.911 or Miyota Y652 movement.

Seiko and Pulsar have models that use them.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:38 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Hi can anybody sell me or point me in the right direction as to how I find a replacement movement for my Jupiter pilot please?
Many thanks Richard