The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:33 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
When I received my TO Chrono, 2 years ago, it ran continuously at +5.5/day. I did have this 2 week run where it was running at +2/day or so which is still unexplained. The watch returned to +5.5/day. For the last 4 months or so I saw my TO starting to gain time; 6.5/day and finally as high as +7.5/day. So I start to look around and see if I was doing anything different. First I needed some data, so I ran two experiment of time off of UTC against power reserve. I fully wound the watch, set it crown up on a stand, didn't move the watch and took the time gain or loss against UTC every 4 hours until the watch died.

After running the tests I read an article on magnetic effects on mechanical watches. Magnetized watches tend to run fast. So I took my compass and checked the magnetism of my watch and the surroundings. My watch did display a very little magnetism! This small magnetism may have caused the small increase in the time gain from 5.5 to 7.5 or so per day. So, I bought a demagnetizer, and ran the watch through it and redid the 70 hrs test.

Below are the graphical results of my experiment. Note the first two graphs are nearly identical with +7 on first day, flat line then decrease. Watched stopped at 63 hours. After demagnetization the gain went to +2/day, flat lined and then decreased. Watched stopped at 67 hours.

So i wound the watch 15 turns out of 40, wore it for two days, and it gained 2 secs/day. Things that I've learned:

1. Don't store your watch in top of an iPad!
2. Watch near stereo speakers is not so good!
3. A watch doesn't have to gain 1 min per day to be magnetized. Magnetism can affect the small amounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aerospace
Airwolf CF-18 Limited Edition
TrancOcean Chronograph LE (mercury silver dial, brown croc, folding clasp)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:45 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
We've seen a number of instances where magnetism has only a small impact on accuracy. What I find more surprising is that your watch is losing time so (relatively) dramatically as it winds down. All other factors being equal a watch will gain time as the reserve runs down because the reduced power from the mainspring will result in a decreased amplitude at the hairspring which results in increased frequency.

The fact that you tested the watch in a vertical position will be part of it, but can't explain all of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:51 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Roff
I thought so too. I expected a flatter line for the 2nd and third day. But eventually it will loose time prior to the power running out. When I get my patience back, maybe ill run the test again with the watch in a different position. Any suggestions?

Aerospace

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:55 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Brez wrote:
But eventually it will loose time prior to the power running out.

That's the point, everyone assumes that but it's not accurate - it should gain time before the power running out.

Brez wrote:
Any suggestions?

Obvious test it in a horizontal position - face up or face down. Of course to be a true comparison you need to eliminate all environmental factors - same temperature, humidity, etc, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:14 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Yeah, then it's weird. I'll run a next test face up. Your correct about all the variables, the best I can do is run the test in the same location in my house that I've done the others. It will be in the ball park!

Aerospace

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:21 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
It seems a common symptom of B01s losing time drastically as power reserve is running out. As mentioned all factors being equal it should gain time towards the end and not lose time dramatically. Mine will start losing about 6 hrs before it runs out. But if I wear it again before it runs out it will eventually run back within 0 to +1 sec per day. Not sure if it's a "design issue" on the movement.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:51 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

What would be interesting to see if someone actually had the B01 designed power/torque/whatever curve! That's the only way to know!

Aerospace