The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:51 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Well I never thought this would happen in a million years, but......I've found a Chronomat 01 (i.e. he of the Buckified bezel) that I not only like, but actually desperately want to own!! :shock:

I was in town today and just dropped into an AD that I haven't been to in a while, and was thoroughly expecting it to be the usual cursory glance over the current Breitling models that my AD visits have tended to become recently. However, today a model that was discussed here a while back suddenly caught my eye - the Frecce Tricolori Chronomat 44 LE.

It was out of the display case in an instant, on my wrist in a flash, and I have to say I absolutely LOVED it! The brushed upper surfaces and polished sides work very well indeed, as does the gloss Frecce Tricolori logo on the matt black dial. Another very nice touch is the off-white, almost vintage, colour of the lume. Additionally the (shock horror!) rubber inlaid numbers on the bezel actually work superbly well and somehow make the Buck font look good! Plus the rubber strap also just works with it.

All in all, it adds up to the first Chronomat 01 that I've properly fallen in love with.....and I think I need it! :)

£6330 is a lot though, so another watch I was planning will have to go on hold will I juggle the numbers and try to make it work. Dammit Breitling! - I thought you'd made a model I'd never want to own, but now I find that's not the case at all! :lol:

As an aside I also picked up a copy of "B the Insider" - looks like a good read, although I still can't quite take David Beckham seriously as an ambassador for Breitling. Still, at least he's only the ambassador for the Bentley range. I don't have anything against the guy personally - I'm just not sure he's the best type of "image-fit" with Breitling.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my first hand experience of the Frecce Tricolori, and proclaim my desire to land one ASAP!

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:17 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
Go for it Driver, I did and haven't looked back yet.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:41 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
Thanks for that Driver, as I am in the same boat as you. I could never see myself owning one, as I think they are just too unresolved for a watch that I could own or wear. Just my opinion and many here have told me I am wrong. But………… I agree with you.

This one is different enough where it counts to get my attention too. Strange I am thinking this. Perplexing actually.

Anyway, I hope the purchase proceeeds wihtout haste or second thoughts as I like your thinking on this one. :wink:

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:49 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
The partially brushed finish really does make it look totally different, but Driver8 - who would have thought it!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:49 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Driver8 wrote:
I still can't quite take David Beckham seriously as an ambassador for Breitling. Still, at least he's only the ambassador for the Bentley range.

As an aside I don't think that's right. In all the ads I've seen him in he's sporting a Transocean Chrono. See eg

http://www.breitling.com/en/news/detail ... itling-756

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:51 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 27 posts
I'd like to see a chronomat without a square in the middle of the round dial. Other than that it looks great.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:56 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
The only thing I don't like about the Frecce Tricolori Chronomat 44 LE is that it doesn't have the iconic Breitling white gold badge on the dial, but instead replaced by the Frecce Tricolori logo. Makes it look more like a Frecce Tricolori watch than a classic Breitling watch. Unless if you are a great fan of FT, else might not be a watch that you desire to keep long term. Other than that design is perfect and I like the fact that so far they have been keeping the design of every in-house Chronomat close to the origin. I believe more Chronomat fans to come. Look forward to your purchase and do post photos of it after u have bought it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:47 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

TomP wrote:
Driver8 wrote:
I still can't quite take David Beckham seriously as an ambassador for Breitling. Still, at least he's only the ambassador for the Bentley range.

As an aside I don't think that's right. In all the ads I've seen him in he's sporting a Transocean Chrono. See eg

http://www.breitling.com/en/news/detail ... itling-756

I agree and thought exactly the same, until I read the "B the Insider" magazine where they specifically said that David Beckham is the "face of Breitling for Bentley". Re-reading it, I guess it could mean he's now the face of Breitling for Bentley IN ADDITION to being the face of Breitling as a whole. Either way I'm not a huge fan of his association with the brand - I'd have liked to have seen someone with a little more class.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:55 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Chronomat01LE wrote:
The only thing I don't like about the Frecce Tricolori Chronomat 44 LE is that it doesn't have the iconic Breitling white gold badge on the dial, but instead replaced by the Frecce Tricolori logo. Makes it look more like a Frecce Tricolori watch than a classic Breitling watch. Unless if you are a great fan of FT, else might not be a watch that you desire to keep long term. Other than that design is perfect and I like the fact that so far they have been keeping the design of every in-house Chronomat close to the origin. I believe more Chronomat fans to come. Look forward to your purchase and do post photos of it after u have bought it.

I felt the same about the lack of wings logo.............. until I saw it in person. Everything about it just seems to work, and while I will admit to being impressed by the LE you have, and the Flying Fish (which is very similar), this one really just does it for me. I'm going to sleep on it for a little while just to be certain, but I'm pretty sure it's the Chronomat for me.

Roffensian wrote:
..but Driver8 - who would have thought it!!!

I know!!! What's the world coming to! :wink: :lol:

I'm not sure if you've seen one yet Roff (and even if you have, maybe it didn't strike the same chord with you), but to me the inlaid bezel, the vintage lume, the partially brushed finish, and the logo dial have enough to completely set it apart from the standard model. Either that, or maybe I've just "gone odd"!! :lol:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:12 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 3 posts
Well this is by far the nicest one yet, but unfortunately not fitting with my extension plans...

Fred

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:22 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Driver8 wrote:
Roffensian wrote:

I'm not sure if you've seen one yet Roff (and even if you have, maybe it didn't strike the same chord with you), but to me the inlaid bezel, the vintage lume, the partially brushed finish, and the logo dial have enough to completely set it apart from the standard model. Either that, or maybe I've just "gone odd"!! :lol:

I have handled one, and while I infinitely prefer it to the original, it didn't resonate to the point where I would even consider buying it, but that's me. And welcome to the 'odd side' :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:20 pm 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
Driver8 wrote:

Roffensian wrote:

......Either that, or maybe I've just "gone odd"!! :lol:

It is called mid-life crisis gentlemen ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:09 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
I don't what to get side tracked on the David Beckman question but personally, I am very pleased he is an ambassador. I think he is the real deal and if he lacks sophistication he certainly makes up for it with honesty and compassion.

On the TF, does this mean that the Emergency II will not be offered in the TF livery as the original Emergency? Is this the switch that was needed?

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:02 pm 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
Are those ice cycles I see in Hell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:32 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 3 posts
Why is it always the lawyers who feel the chill first when hell freezes over?

Fred