King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
Driver gone over to the 'buck' side?!

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:20 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
Driver, just googled the FTC44LE. I see what you mean! It's beautiful. I wonder how durable the rubber in the bezel will be. Could it end up peeling out?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:49 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
Novacastrian wrote:
Driver, just googled the FTC44LE. I see what you mean! It's beautiful. I wonder how durable the rubber in the bezel will be. Could it end up peeling out?

Wondered the same think myself. Might be more durable to knocks than stainless though, so might be good in one sense. Wonder if the rubber inserts are avaiable exstock?

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:51 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 3 posts
I suppose they are injected in to bond them with the metal, so one might have to replace the bezel.

Fred

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:00 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Call me OCD ( my wife does all the time ) but I just cant seem to take my eyes off the square in the middle. It just looks out of place.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:24 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Novacastrian wrote:

And it's even better in the flesh IMO!

To be honest, you'd be hard pressed without a loupe to tell that it was rubber in the bezel numerals instead of DLC or matt enamel or something. Pictures you see online are obviously huge, but in the flesh the numbers are tiny, plus the are flush with the steel of the bezel so I really don't think durability would be a problem.

Alan M wrote:
Driver gone over to the 'buck' side?!

Not yet, Al, not yet! :wink:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:53 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

SVT wrote:
Call me OCD ( my wife does all the time ) but I just cant seem to take my eyes off the square in the middle. It just looks out of place.

The square in the middle. Its one of the things that makes it. :) Its balanced and very well executed.

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:38 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
P51 wrote:
SVT wrote:

The square in the middle. Its one of the things that makes it. :) Its balanced and very well executed.

I thought I was the only one who felt that way :lingsrock: without the bucks bezel and the square in the middle, the entire piece could look rather generic. With them plus the chronograph feature the piece is very recognizable a Chronomat from far. That was why I mentioned before that Chronomat is timeless looking as it has a classic chronograph watch look with it's distinct features that doesn't cause the watch to look too generic nor too kooky.

Anyway the square doesn't appear obvious most of the time except under strong light. Somehow I noticed that it seems to be there for a reason. A texturized matt surface on the square does discourage reflection and enhances legibility. I discovered it a few mths back when I was checking the time on a bright sunny day. The square somehow stood out obvious under strong light and contrasted the oversized highly polished hands that reflected the light strongly. That somehow made information on the watch easy to read. Not sure if that was the designer's intention in the first place but that was what I noticed. Breitling invested a lot of time on the design of this first in-house model so I believe every detail was designed with purpose. A pity they did not explain enough.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:29 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Chronomat01LE wrote:
I thought I was the only one who felt that way :lingsrock: without the bucks bezel and the square in the middle, the entire piece could look rather generic. With them plus the chronograph feature the piece is very recognizable a Chronomat from far. That was why I mentioned before that Chronomat is timeless looking as it has a classic chronograph watch look with it's distinct features that doesn't cause the watch to look too generic nor too kooky.

Anyway the square doesn't appear obvious most of the time except under strong light. Somehow I noticed that it seems to be there for a reason. A texturized matt surface on the square does discourage reflection and enhances legibility. I discovered it a few mths back when I was checking the time on a bright sunny day. The square somehow stood out obvious under strong light and contrasted the oversized highly polished hands that reflected the light strongly. That somehow made information on the watch easy to read. Not sure if that was the designer's intention in the first place but that was what I noticed. Breitling invested a lot of time on the design of this first in-house model so I believe every detail was designed with purpose. A pity they did not explain enough.

Good observations. There is a similar feature on the Chrono-Matic and no doubt is used elsewhere too. As you point out, its more observable in certian lights and is more than just a style feature. It has purpose I think.

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:44 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Can't help but agree with everything most of you have said on this model.... It is gorgeous.

I let it slip thru my fingers for a great price at an AD whilst on holiday in Italy and I've regretted it ever since. My bank account (and wife), however has not.

It's here in Seoul, but for almost twice the price.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:46 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
SVT wrote:

it sticks out a little for me too. but IMO i dont think it wrecks the watch. just makes it different in a way that I'm not really use to. not really a good or bad thing as far as im concerned.