The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:12 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 85 posts
I must say..I love this site. The other Breitling sites are mostly about everyone patting each other on their backs for buying a particular Breitling. This site has that and some real discussions of substance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:41 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
Roffensian wrote:
sharkman wrote:
It seems as though I have resurrected several old hot button topics with this thread just as I am about to send my Navi 01 in for repairs. Oops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well strong opinions are inevitable when money is involved, but let's face it, BUSA aren't exactly helping their own cause.

I have a suggestion if they want to sell pieces at list price - agree to a BS LE - that will be full list and it will sell. Of course they probably wouldn't like our design, but agreeing to the concept would be a great way to connect with customers.

Now read that and respond BUSA in between arranging secret shoppers to every AD mentioned here!!!

Give it to em Roff! :strummin: :cheer:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:42 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 1 post
The bane of my life as an AD is those bloody grey market dealers, and nothing seems to be done about them...and as roff was saying it would be very easy to trace who was actually supplying these GMD's with the watches. These companies are who we are regularly competing with and they should be taken down!!

Aziza

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:14 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
bankslyon wrote:
The bane of my life as an AD is those bloody grey market dealers, and nothing seems to be done about them...and as roff was saying it would be very easy to trace who was actually supplying these GMD's with the watches. These companies are who we are regularly competing with and they should be taken down!!

Aziza

And that's really the key to that issue - Breitling are setting artificially high sales volume requirements on ADs, saturating the market with retailers to make it harder for any one retailer to achieve those targets, allowing ADs to hit numbers by selling to the grey market without recognising that all that is doing is taking sales away from legitimate ADs, and then hammering the ADs who are trying to play by the rules when they try to compete on price with those grey market dealers in order to achieve the sales numbers that Breitling insist that they hit.

It's apparently fine to sell to the grey market stores at 40+% off, but heaven forbid that they sell to a customer at 20+% off.

Aziza, if BUK is anything like BUSA you can expect a secret shopper in the store within a few weeks after this post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:49 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Quote - "Aziza, if BUK is anything like BUSA you can expect a secret shopper in the store within a few weeks after this post."

My AD in the UK told me this has already started with secret shoppers particularly looking for in-house movement knowledge and for discounters.

For me it seems that by Breitling turning a blind-eye to grey market sales suits them, sell them to retailers (Breitling make their full profit) and the ADs who supply the grey market move it out of their store, the retailer orders replacement from Breitling who again make their profit.... and so the cycle continues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:07 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

maz2010 wrote:
For me it seems that by Breitling turning a blind-eye to grey market sales suits them, sell them to retailers (Breitling make their full profit) and the ADs who supply the grey market move it out of their store, the retailer orders replacement from Breitling who again make their profit.... and so the cycle continues

Of course - that's how the sales volumes are retained. The same logic also applies to an AD who discounts to make a sale - it's still a sale and Breitling makes just as much money because ADs buy at fixed price. Breitling just applies a double standard.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:40 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
Roffensian wrote:
maz2010 wrote:

Of course - that's how the sales volumes are retained. The same logic also applies to an AD who discounts to make a sale - it's still a sale and Breitling makes just as much money because ADs buy at fixed price. Breitling just applies a double standard.

I guess there is one slight advantage for Breitling to letting ADs dump to grey market dealers, they don't have to worry about paying/providing for warranty work, whereas they still would on AD sales. Still seems like poor business tactics.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:03 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I was trying to justify a grey market watch but in the end established a new relationship with an AD and am glad I did. Until the grey market is settled, we will have our used Breitlings worth less. My solution, don't restrict the AD's pricing and they won't have to sell to grey market sellers.

Rolex Daytona TT White Face

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:39 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 18 posts
Kodiak wrote:
Roffensian wrote:
maz2010 wrote:

I guess there is one slight advantage for Breitling to letting ADs dump to grey market dealers, they don't have to worry about paying/providing for warranty work, whereas they still would on AD sales. Still seems like poor business tactics.

Not true in all cases. Some of the grey dealers provide all paperwork, including the warranty booklet. As long as the watch is within the warranty time, Breitling will honor it. After all, Breitling doesn't know if the watch you're sending in for repair was bought from the AD directly or from a grey dealer, who bought from that AD.

Btw, I know someone who wanted to buy a particular watch, not a Breitling , from an AD, but the AD wasn't willing to discount. They finally bought the same model watch from a grey market dealer. Ironically, once they received the watch, it was discovered that, based on the warranty card stamp, the watch originated from the same AD who wouldn't discount to him directly. So the AD didn't want to discount 20% to a retail client but had no issue discounting much more to a Grey dealer.

Also, I spoke to a few local Grey dealers who said that they can source any watch, including the hot new sellers at the moment. So it's not just the less popular models that grey market dealers sell. As a matter of fact, it seems that some grey market dealers have the new releases before some ADs.

Peter

BREITLING for Bentley Motors T & Mark VI, Aerospace
ROLEX Submariner Ceramic116610LN
OMEGA Plantet Ocean 8500 42mm Orange arabics
OCEAN7 LM-3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:10 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Racerdj wrote:
I was trying to justify a grey market watch but in the end established a new relationship with an AD and am glad I did. Until the grey market is settled, we will have our used Breitlings worth less. My solution, don't restrict the AD's pricing and they won't have to sell to grey market sellers.

That won't help dealers who are forced to buy models and or quantities that they simply can't sell.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:17 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 18 posts
mfserge wrote:
]

I'd pay full price for that assuming it was a limited edition and we could have say in the design as a community. Breitling would never do it because it would be better than anything their brilliant designers could create.

Agreed.

But I suspect that Breitling would counter any design plans with a proposal for a DLC'd rubber bezeled piece.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:08 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 28 posts
wrangler wrote:
Racerdj wrote:

That won't help dealers who are forced to buy models and or quantities that they simply can't sell.

I agree, Breitling has given us, AD's, a list of Breitlings that are obligated to have in stock at any time. You are obligated to immedately reorder that particular Breitling if it is sold. They send mystery shoppers to check your knowlegde of the brand and to check your stock if it is sufficient and if you have all obligated Breitling's in stock. That list is a list of the worlds best sellers but I must admit that not all models on that list are easy to sell for everybody. You don't even have a choice of dial and bracelet. The models have to be exact as they state on their list. And a few of those are very difficult to sell in my region to be honest. (for example: Chronomat 41, steel/pink gold/steel pink gold bracelet and white dial with roman numerals. Almost impossible to sell for me. So I hope I get a lot of tourists in my city who do like this combination)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:51 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 3 posts
My AD no longer carries Breitling because of BUSA's demands on the amount of stock they should carry and watches they must buy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Tunnel Ling wrote:
My AD no longer carries Breitling because of BUSA's demands on the amount of stock they should carry and watches they must buy.

Not sure on the reasons but I note that my local AD has dropped them in the last two months as well (and has twice as many Omega instead).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:58 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

There are a number of BUSA driven changes happening at the moment so expect more ADs to stop carrying Breitling.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next