The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:37 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
[color=#0000FF]After 4 years of never of my wrist, I decided to have my Crosswind B1335512/A504 returned for a complete overhaul and polish.
10 weeks and £372 later, the watch was returned, looking like new. 4 weeks into use however, it fell off my wrist and after over one hour of searching for the threaded pin that attaches the bracelet to the watch, I took it to my local Breitling stockist, who re-fitted the pin and told me that the other pin was just about to drop out.
I also noted an unreasonable time gain of just under one minute per day (hardly COSC standard) and on reporting both of these matters to the Service Department.
Customer Services were apologetic and offered a gift by way of compensation, of a 50% discount on my next service, providing it was done within the next 2 years. Is there anyone on the forum who has their Breitling serviced every 2 years????
The watch is now back with Breitling and I am advised that they anticipate completing the work in 3 weeks time.
This leaves me with a thought process that a fashion statement is no valid reason for having a particular watch and I may be well advised to cash in this rather fine looking but badly represented timepiece, in favour of a reliable and equally fine looking watch costing a fraction of my present investment.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:43 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 4 posts
Watches are not investments. Stick with it and get the watch you deserve back.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:47 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Small comfort, but I guess that's what the service warranty is for. It's certainly not typical of BUK, although all service centers seem to be seeing an increase in complaints reported here over the last year or so - though that may merely reflect the growing size of BreitlingSource.

I don't quite get the 50% off a service in the next two years thing though - that's weird.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:17 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Are they mandating the 50% applies only to your Crosswind, or can you apply it to a different watch?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:29 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 1 post
Like Roff said its unusual for this to happen, when I went the breitling uk service centre I saw the people that checked the watch and make shore they are working and have no problems but the man at the service centre said their is a few watches that slip trough. But its nice to know its coming back to you.

Rolex precision oysterdate
Breitling chronometre bi metal
Omega seamaster professional chronometer
Ball fireman
Rolex datejust diamond bezel
Rolex Explorer 39mm
Omega James bond 50th

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:20 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 85 posts
I once had my Navitimer serviced at BUSA, and they also returned the watch in perfect condition except that one of the spring bars that holds the bracelet end link to the watch head was damaged somewhat because the end link would pop out of the watch case. I guess they never realized this when they reattached the bracelet.

Another time, when I had my Rolex GMT serviced at Rolex NYC, they returned the watch in almost perfect condition except they couldn't get the bezel aligned perfectly. Had my Bvlgari chrono serviced at Bvlgari NYC, and they also returned the watch with one flaw...there was a scratch on one of the subdials. I tell you, I don't think any service center is perfect regardless of what brand. Now, I don't service my watches unless the timing is off. Lol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:16 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
dlNYC wrote:
I tell you, I don't think any service center is perfect regardless of what brand.

That's exactly right. For example, my experiences with BUK and Rolex have been absolutely spot on over the years, whereas IWC were hopeless. The thing is, the service centres for the major brands no doubt see thousands of watches a week, and with the best will in the world, the greater the number of watches (and the greater the pressure to turn jobs around), the greater the liklihood that a small number will slip through the QC net. I thoroughly agree that this is not ideal (especially when you're on the receiving end) but it happens purely as a function of the numbers involved.

Now, IMO the true mark of a good company is how they deal with issues - and it's here that IWC were totally useless in my book. If in this case Breitling fail again to solve the timekeeping issue (and fail to seat the spring bars properly again), then I'll back up the claims that BUK have indeed failed in this case. But to be honest, OP, Breitling were under no obligation to offer any compensation at all, but they did (even though a 50% discount on a service with a 2 year time limit is a slightly odd one to offer), and have said they'll fix the issue.

Hopefully it'll all work out OK for you.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:04 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I agree on IWC. A friend of mine bought a brand new titanium Aquatimer a few years back, and he noticed a scratch on the hour hand. It was sent back to IWC a total of 3 times because each time, it came back with another flaw on the hour hand. Finally, they told him they didn't have anymore of the correct version of that hour hand in stock, and so they installed an hour hand from another IWC, and told him that it was a beefier/nicer hour hand. It didn't have a scratch on that hour hand, so my friend accepted it. I wouldn't have, case now it's a Frankenwatch.

With that kinda service at IWC, I gave up wanting to own one. Lol.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:58 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Since these service facilities may be overwhelmed, perhaps they
farm/parcel out some work to subcontractors. Watches could be
outsourced anywhere, & exposed to levels ranging from
masters to butchers. If it's true, it could certainly explain
the reasons problems are not solved, & new ones appear.
Anyone frustrated with current practices, may want to forge
a new path with the merchant below.

http://www.centralwatch.com/watch_repair.php

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:01 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 1 post
angstfree wrote:
Since these service facilities may be overwhelmed, perhaps they
farm out some work to subcontractors. Watches could be
outsourced anywhere, & exposed to levels ranging from
masters to butchers. If it's true, it could certainly explain
the reasons problems are not solved, & new ones appear.
Anyone frustrated with current practices, may want to forge
a new path with the merchant below.

http://www.centralwatch.com/watch_repair.php

when I went their their wasn't that many watchmakers and some was from switzerland working their. but I don't think they subcontract people. as Roff said they wouldn't let them have the parts. every part had to be booked in and out of the parts department and the watchmakers had to sign for them.

Rolex precision oysterdate
Breitling chronometre bi metal
Omega seamaster professional chronometer
Ball fireman
Rolex datejust diamond bezel
Rolex Explorer 39mm
Omega James bond 50th

Last edited by joe6263 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:07 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

I have never heard of Breitling outsourcing repairs and I would be amazed if it happened given how much time and money is spent ensuring that authorised watchmakers are factory trained. I also wouldn't use an independent with no access to Breitling parts!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:19 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

They actually do outsource in a way. They have an authorized service center in NYC, which is an independent watchmaker. This guy also services other brands like Omega. I've sent my Breitling there to fix an issue that BUSA f-cked up on, and this guy fixed it perfectly. Since he is authorized by Breitling as a repair shop, he can order all factory parts from them. I've also had him work on my Speedy, and again, he did a great job. Sometimes the independent can do a better job at quality control than the factory!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:10 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

dlNYC wrote:
They actually do outsource in a way. They have an authorized service center in NYC, which is an independent watchmaker. This guy also services other brands like Omega. I've sent my Breitling there to fix an issue that BUSA f-cked up on, and this guy fixed it perfectly. Since he is authorized by Breitling as a repair shop, he can order all factory parts from them. I've also had him work on my Speedy, and again, he did a great job. Sometimes the independent can do a better job at quality control than the factory!

Right, JD Watchworks is the same, but I don't really see that as quite the same because they are authorised service centres, not 'Bill & Ted's Watch Repairs R Us'.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:34 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Roffensian wrote:
dlNYC wrote:

Right, JD Watchworks is the same, but I don't really see that as quite the same because they are authorised service centres, not 'Bill & Ted's Watch Repairs R Us'.

I guess I view it as authorized outsourcing because those authorized Centers are not Breitling employees.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:46 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Driver8 wrote:
dlNYC wrote:
I tell you, I don't think any service center is perfect regardless of what brand.

That's exactly right. For example, my experiences with BUK and Rolex have been absolutely spot on over the years, whereas IWC were hopeless. The thing is, the service centres for the major brands no doubt see thousands of watches a week, and with the best will in the world, the greater the number of watches (and the greater the pressure to turn jobs around), the greater the liklihood that a small number will slip through the QC net. I thoroughly agree that this is not ideal (especially when you're on the receiving end) but it happens purely as a function of the numbers involved.

Now, IMO the true mark of a good company is how they deal with issues - and it's here that IWC were totally useless in my book. If in this case Breitling fail again to solve the timekeeping issue (and fail to seat the spring bars properly again), then I'll back up the claims that BUK have indeed failed in this case. But to be honest, OP, Breitling were under no obligation to offer any compensation at all, but they did (even though a 50% discount on a service with a 2 year time limit is a slightly odd one to offer), and have said they'll fix the issue.

Hopefully it'll all work out OK for you.

Hi Driver 8
I do not understand your comment that Breitling "have said that they'll fix the issue". I should think so too, as quite apart from having given a shoddy service, they are bound by a one year warranty on repairs. Regarding the compensation issue, I ask you to consider what they have offered. Realistically, no one has a chronograph serviced every 2 years, so the compensation offered is both meaningless and insulting.
Bentleyblower