The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:36 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Hi i have just bought a soh 46mm chrono on a mesh bracelet which i love the only problem is i do a lot of watersports i.e. jet skiing,swimming etc and i don't like taking this watch with me can you recommend a good breitling model with looks good and can take a bit of abuse i have look at the colts,air wolf and avenger thanks for your time....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:52 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

"Looking good" is subjective. For practicality go with a Steelfish or the SO Abyss.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:39 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 9 posts
I'll offer a counterpoint, which isn't really answering your question. Consider it for what it's worth. I personally see no point in wearing nice watches for strenuous or demanding physical activities. If I don't need to know the time, I will not wear a watch at all under such circumstances. If I do have a need for timekeeping (for workouts, etc.), I'll use a digital watch. A digital is functional, easy to wear and comfortable, and looks appropriate under the circumstances. And speaking of looks - personally, if I saw someone wearing a Breitling (or any other high-end brand) while jet skiing, I wouldn't think it looked good; I'd think the guy was more concerned with image than practicality. Like I said, take it for what it's worth.

That said, I agree with JLee - a Steelfish or SO will prove durable for use in the water.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:26 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I personally don't like to subject an automatic movement to that much shock. I would think the Avenger Seawolf Chrono would be perfect (quartz), but so would a G-Shock.

Corum Admiral's Cup
Rolex Sub

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:32 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 9 posts
Biz wrote:
I personally don't like to subject an automatic movement to that much shock. I would think the Avenger Seawolf Chrono would be perfect (quartz), but so would a G-Shock.

Good point. I was thinking mainly in terms of water resistance when recommending the SF or SO, but you're right - shock is a concern, making quartz a more sensible recommendation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:32 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

iberfoptic wrote:
Hi i have just bought a soh 46mm chrono on a mesh bracelet which i love the only problem is i do a lot of watersports i.e. jet skiing,swimming etc and i don't like taking this watch with me can you recommend a good breitling model with looks good and can take a bit of abuse i have look at the colts,air wolf and avenger thanks for your time....

G-shock as mentioned.

You don't have to worry in case it falls off (I have this paranoia about a watch flying off my wrist when I go fishing)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:51 pm 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 1 post
Quote:
i do a lot of watersports i.e. jet skiing,swimming etc
Agree with the others. Get a G-Shock for when you're in the water. The G-Lide is designed specifically for watersports.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:16 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
+1 on the G-Shock (if you need a watch at all when doing sports/rough activities). I personally do tend to always like to have a watch on, so it's a G-Shock Atomic Mudman for me in those situations. The 200m WR of pretty much most G-Shocks is more than adequate for the vast majority of activities.

While I like to make sure I get plenty of usage out of my watches, I personally don't see any point in risking several thousand pounds worth of "quality" watch when cheap resin quartz model will do the job just fine.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:45 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 14 posts
I am one of those people who just can't seem to live with a plastic watch. My son has a half dozen g shocks and loves them. I have tried with various Suuntos but I always wind up selling them a week after buying. My compromise on the beater front is the Victorinox Dive Master 500 in quartz. You can find the titanium version in the classifieds for a couple of hundred dollars. It is very understated for a 44mm watch, keeps extremely accurate time, and should be near to indestructible...sort of a poor man's Seawolf...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:09 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
JacksonStone wrote:
I'll offer a counterpoint, which isn't really answering your question. Consider it for what it's worth. I personally see no point in wearing nice watches for strenuous or demanding physical activities.

This, absolutely.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:14 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
termite wrote:
My compromise on the beater front is the Victorinox Dive Master 500 in quartz. You can find the titanium version in the classifieds for a couple of hundred dollars. It is very understated for a 44mm watch, keeps extremely accurate time, and should be near to indestructible...sort of a poor man's Seawolf...

Same here. Dive Master quartz is one of two inexpensive, lightweight titanium watches I rely on for "hazardous" duty.