Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Navitimer 02
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:46 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
I'm just currently looking around Breitlings trying to figure them out. See what's out there style and design wise so I can figure out which I would like as my first and I stumble across the navitimer 02 limited edition of 100 in steel.

My god that's my perfect watch to look at and I'm presuming sadly I'm never going to own one, ever. Gutted.

What are people's thoughts to what they see as a similar product to this.

Post subject: Re: Navitimer 02
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:26 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

You feel you won't own one because of price or availability? Hard to suggest something without an idea of your budget and if you want new, or would consider used.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:44 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Probably both. Been as limited as that the used price will be high. How much were they new anyhow, can they even be bought new now? Both I doubt.

Budget is hard to say but upto 5k. Definitely consider used.

I generally like the classic looking style so it's navitimers, montbrillants.

I'm not imminently buying but looking to find the right watch as the it will be my first expensive timepiece. So currently working hard to save.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:59 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
The 02 is 10 years old now and will be priced little differently that any other 10 year old Navitimer - a slight premium for the LE, but not excessive - the bigger problem is going to be finding one on the used market.

It's not hugely different from other Navitimers, although only having two subdials reduces the options (unless you are OK with a 3 sub version). It's a fairly small watch at only 38mm and if that sort of size is specifically what you are looking for then maybe the Montbrillant - http://www.breitlingsource.com/watch_de ... er_91.html or the regular Navitimer - http://www.breitlingsource.com/watch_de ... er_53.html, although they are both 3 register watches.

Both will be a lot easier to find than the 02.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:30 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

The main reason for wanting the 02 is the actual look of it. As the navitimers can look overly complicated/too fussy this seems to look not so due to 2 sub dials and all white. It also looks so timeless and classic. That's what I'm after from the watch.

The size is actually an issue but I would be willing to compromise on the 02 just because to me my personal preference to the looks. Yes it is very similar to others but at the same time so different. It manages the fine balance between timeless and complicated perfectly.

I'm asking a fair few questions and I have not had the chance to actually go look at some in person. I just recall years ago been in a jewellers window shopping and been struck first by how much I liked them then second the price. At the time way out of my league so I just forgot about them.

Due to my job this will not be an everyday wear and I want my son to pester me in a few years time like i did my dad lol.

So my current watch (and don't all laugh too much) is a Nixon 51.30 tide. Bought purely for the size 51mm diameter and it's tough looks. Bloody big and bloody heavy. Looking for the same in a more understated way. Not really into bling just timeless design that lets face it after 50 years or so the breitling still looks as good today as it did when it first came out. I'm an engineer so the appeal of the "navitimer" calculator appeals a lot.

I think I prefer the bracelet but would have the leather all depends on the face to match. What I don't understand is all the navitimer, montbrillant, combinations are they the same are i they all just have the slide rule and that's it. What do I want from the movement calibres, does it matter a deal.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:42 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
Try searching for Breitling Navitimer in Google images to see if there is anything else that catches your eye and widens your options a bit more.
After that, keep scanning the numerous for sale sites and forum listings and I am sure you will eventually find what you like.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:54 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

If larger watches aren't an issue then what about a Montbrillant Legende - http://www.breitlingsource.com/watch_de ... r_138.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:03 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

That's exactly where all this started!!! Damn google.

Now I'm the sort of person who Researchers every fine detail before any decision unfortunately for me. Spent a week on google getting to know the brand but it's still so hard to figure out. I'm a quality watch novice so I can only buy on looks.

What difference do all the calibres make?

What is different between a navitimer, montbrillant, navitimer chronomatic etc. Are they actually something different or just new names to call the same watch?

That's what I was leaning towards the legende but from what I recall it's doesn't come all one colour please correct me of I'm wrong. It's almost perfect as its big yet has the same almost looks as the 02. It's just there are so many to choose from with all the montbrillant ******** and navitimer ********* and so on its all confusing. I know I'm going to eventually have more than one.

I read the all silver looks almost white is this true and do they do any other all white.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:04 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

And a god damn Bentley just pulled up next to me lol. Wonder if he has the watch or not. Which by the way I love the ice white BFB on the white strap. See its just the whole white thing for me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:10 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Just to add its like the polar opposite to my current watch as everything is all black literally. Looks good but couldn't tell you the time with it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:18 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

The different models are all different, but they are all mechanical chronographs so essentially the same. Once you've narrowed it down let's start worrying about in house vs. generic, automatic vs. manual, etc. For now, the Navitimer page here has some useful specs on the different options - http://www.breitlingsource.com/models/navitimer.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:46 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 9 posts
Fridgelife wrote:
Now I'm the sort of person who Researchers every fine detail before any decision unfortunately for me.

Actually, I wouldn't say that's unfortunate for you. That sort of practice prevents impulse buying, which is easy to do if you have the cash to spend. If you get the watch and find you're less enthralled with it than you originally thought you would be (which happens a lot around here), typically your only option is to sell it at a loss. The loss might not be as great if you're selling what was already a pre-owned watch, but even so, you're better off waiting and getting a watch you know you really want. Breitling is one of the more confusing brands, given their proclivity for introducing many similar models under different names, as well as continually redesigning and renaming models. Since you're taking it all in, I wouldn't be surprised if you find yourself lusting after any number of watches. If, after a few weeks or months, the same models keep coming up on your radar, that's a good bet those are the ones you really like.

Fridgelife wrote:
And a god damn Bentley just pulled up next to me lol.

And uh...texting and driving is bad, m'kay?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:05 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

You tell my mrs that as she says I can never make a decision as I'm too busy researching and I "do her head in".

Yes they are confusing and I know I keep coming back to the navitimers. Luckily I can't pulse buy at the moment. Maybe September whilst in Florida.

I shall link the ones I like when I get time away from the kids.

Actually not texting and driving. I was in a car park at work.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:50 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Love the 4 year calendar
http://www.breitlingsource.com/watch_de ... r_108.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:51 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Pretty much perfect but size although same as 02 is a possible issue till I see in person
http://www.breitlingsource.com/watch_de ... er_91.html