The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:11 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
First of all I'm not bashing on Rolex as I have a Rolex in my collection and will still keep collecting them as if my finances could afford it.

To the Breitling owners who also own the Rolex brand. Do you guys ever find that Rolex is a bit overrated? As in time accuracy and other specs I did many tests between Omega/Breitling/Rolex on time accuracy and my Rolex does the poorest out of the three. I haven't done a long test with the Omega as it's still new but between my Breitlings and Rolex I have done a 2 week test in different over night resting positions and this is the best I could get. Also my Breitlings and Rolex I've had them for about 8 months now. Time.gov was used for tracking the time accuracy tests.

Breitling Caliber 13 doing +1 sec fast per day(crown rested down overnight resting position)
Breitling Caliber 37 doing +1 sec fast per day(dial facing up overnight)
Rolex Caliber 3135 +6 sec fast per day(crown down position)
Omega Caliber 2500 0-0.5 sec fast per day(crown upwards position)

Since after getting my latest acquisition which was the Omega I've been wearing it all week and my other watches didn't get any wrist time so I decided to do a Power Reserve test on them. I just finished a power reserve test between my Breitlings vs Rolex. As Breitling states their watches with a minimum power reserve of 42 hrs and Rolex at 50 hrs, I sync'd them all giving them a full 40 winds at the same time and left them on my dresser without touching them. Anyhow in the end results the Rolex died before the Breitlings did. I was quite shocked. Breitlings are still ticking at the moment, not ticking strong and slowly but still ticking. Here I find Breitling a bit underrated with their watch specs.

Breitling Caliber 13 48.5 hrs still ticking slowly
Breitling Caliber 37 48.5 hrs still ticking slowly
Rolex Caliber 3135 died at 47 hrs

With these results I'm a bit dissapointed with my Rolex but all in all I still love the Rolex brand for it's nice simple design and quality in the bracelet and finish on it's casing. Anyhow I just find Rolex a bit over-rated with it's so called superior in house movement and a bit over priced especially with their recent price increase. I know not all watches from each brand behave like this, you may get lucky with some or you don't. But for me no luck with the Rolex brand.

Last edited by bling88 on Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:01 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:32 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
I would get that Rolex serviced, since its new it's obviously miscalibrated. very strange for a Rolex.

My GMT Master IIc is my most accurate watch, i runs +-2 Seconds a week, as a matter of fact it ran +-0 seconds a month when I did my last test, this is probably a fluke as it probably corrected it self my mere chance but still

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
Nice comparison and numbers!

In my mind I don't see Breitling as underrated - I see it as doing what it should. Rolex, in my mind, is a bit overrated but I think that is rather from great advertising and penetration in people's mind. It is quite common that Average Joe see Rolex as THE luxury watch. For being "THE" watch I think it is not meeting the high standards and therefore is a bit over-priced. Don't get me wrong, I like Rolex and enjoy wearing them (used to have a 50th Submariner and a Precision, now down to just the Precision) but I think it's sane to lower the expectation a little bit.

In just the same way, converted into the whisky business, Chivas Regal is often considered as THE blended whisky and Macallan as THE single malt. Clever branding, good PR and good penetration. But not really meeting the high expectations (however, they are still good and enjoyable).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:02 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Altair wrote:
I would get that Rolex serviced, since its new it's obviously miscalibrated. very strange for a Rolex.

My GMT Master IIc is my most accurate watch, i runs +-2 Seconds a week, as a matter of fact it ran +-0 seconds a month when I did my last test, this is probably a fluke as it probably corrected it self my mere chance but still

Ya like I said in my post "You may get lucky with some or you don't" and I don't think it's worth sending it out for 4-6 weeks to have it regulated since it is in the COSC specs -4/+6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:05 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Wow my Breitlings hit 50 hrs power reserve and they are still ticking, amazing :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:24 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
bling88 wrote:
Altair wrote:

Ya like I said in my post "You may get lucky with some or you don't" and I don't think it's worth sending it out for 4-6 weeks to have it regulated since it is in the COSC specs -4/+6.

Oh a WEEK, I was thinking a day for some reason. Yeah that's within expectations of a Rolex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:21 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I've owned a number of watches from various manufacturers including Omega, Rolex, Seiko, Poljot, Breitling and others, and the only one that REALLY disappointed me was the Rolex. I've said it many, many times before on here, but the bracelet and clasp was the worst I'd seen on any high-end watch. (Yes I know they have improved it on the latest models, but mine had the hollow centre-linked one). The finish of the case and the movement were all excellent, and it kept good time, but as a package I found it to be hugely over-rated. A definite case of style over substance in my opinion.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:48 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

I think you have to choose carefully which rolex you go for...my wife has had a lady datejust in two tone with a diamond bezel for over 10 years, it has been bashed about, serviced twice and is still well within cosc specs...looks great too., I however have had all sorts of rolex models but only one twice!, my sea-dweller....its a real tool watch and the one I wear most often....I must say I'm not a fan of the magnified date and hence the SD over the submariner.

I did the wait for 3 years for a steel daytona a while back but never really got on with it and ended up selling it for twice its cost!.....My own take is that breitling offer better value and equal quality in their watches and far better bracelets.

I'm not too hung up on accuracy as my £7 radio-controlled alarm clock is fine for that......I reckon I adjust my automatic watches around once or twice a month and keep them on a winder when not being used.

I certainly don't keep a spreadsheet of accuracy against crowm position or similar but I can understand why this might light some folks fire!...watches are my jewellery, the only other bit I wear is my wedding band!...aesthetics are more important than accuracy to me.

OK flame away!....the above is just my humble opinion though.

Current:- Navi World, Coral SO, Panerai 219, Sea Dweller, Suunto Core etc

CORAL CLUB FOUNDING FATHER
:coralclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:47 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

You won't get any "flames" from me there Doc! Everything posted on forums tend to only be people's opinions.... and we're all entitled to those.

Funny you should mention the Daytona. The watch dealer I sold my Submariner (and my Steelfish incidentally) to, reckons he's come across a few people who wait for ever and a day for a Daytona and then when it arrives end up thinking "What's all the fuss about?", and end up selling it pretty soon after. More style (and marketing, and PR, and perceived exclusivity) over substance me thinks.....

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:22 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 2 posts
*Alien reads the posts, nods a few times and grins evily*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:25 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
I've never had a problem with a waiting time for a Daytona. But then again, I was only supposed to buy one once. I ordered a white gold Daytona and they got it in two weeks later. But you're right - when I saw it the magic was lost and I took a different path instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:24 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

The Rolex Sub/Sea line is pretty much the quintessential New England sports watch. I think its the timeless styling of Rolex that people enjoy. Its probably the most common watch on peoples wrists around here.

I love my Sea Dweller, very comfortable, I love the coin edge bezel, and the fact that it is relatively the same as it was 15 years ago. I do not however, love the cheap clasp and the rattling bracelet. Alot of people complain about the lack of an AR coating, but I find in the right light it gives the crystal an almost frosted glass appearance, which I have come to enjoy. I do think its slightly overrated, I would prefer solid centre links and a better clasp. Those are my only issues with that particular line.

The Daytona lacks a date feature, which I find very useful on a day to day basis.

Breitlings in my opinion are slightly underrated. They go through a painstaking process to ensure all of their movements are COSC certified, they feel bullet proof, and as I once read in an article their hand polishing leaves them with a preternatural finish that remains bright and shiny despite small swirls or scratches. Probably the toughest watches around. My only gripe about Breitling is the lack of a thinner, dressier, style of watch. I find it difficult to wear my Breitlings with suits sometimes, I would enjoy a dress line of some nice white faced, gold, leather strap that arent more than 12mm in height. Other than that Breitling is tops in my opinion.

Post subject: Breitling vs Rolex
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:21 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Great test results Andy. Love to see that kind of stuff. I for one have to concur with most of these previous comments. In a world where it seems commonplace to over-hype a product with the assumption that the consumer will be somewhat dissapointed after purchasing it, I have to say Breitling has more than exceeded my expectations. Rolex plain and simply has NOT. Sad that a lot of watch manufacturers don't care, just so long as they get your money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:48 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Under-rated/over-rated, I'm not sure.

I just think that Rolex is the obvious choice for an 'expensive watch' and why I don't really like them. It's what Louis Vuitton is to handbags and luggage. Aesthetically Rolex do zero for me. A friend of mine at Uni got a GMT Master II as a graduation present and told me his Rolex was much better than my Breitling just because "nobody has ever heard of Breitling." Hmmm :roll: A nice guy we just really don't see eye to eye when it comes to watches. He was definitely in the 'I'd like an expensive watch and Rolex is the only make I've heard of' category.

However, to a horology purist the Rolex would be preferable as they make their own movements.

I just couldn't wear a watch just because of the way it worked inside. It's like buying a really ugly car because you like the way the air conditioning functions.

(editted for missing word)

Last edited by VillageIdiot on Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:50 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

VillageIdiot wrote:
I just think that Rolex is the obvious choice for an 'expensive watch' and why I don't really like them. It's what Louis Vuitton is to handbags and luggage. Aesthetically Rolex do zero for me. A friend of mine at Uni got a GMT Master II as a graduation present and told me his Rolex was much better than my Breitling just because "nobody has ever heard of Breitling." Hmmm :roll: A nice guy we just really don't see eye to eye when it comes to watches. He was definitely in the 'I'd like an expensive watch and Rolex is the only make I've heard of' category.

However, a horology purist the Rolex would be preferable as they make their own movements.

I just couldn't wear a watch just because of the way it worked inside. It's like buying a really ugly car because you like the way the air conditioning functions.

Well said VillageIdiot. :thumbsup:
Just because something is successfully marketed, it doesn't automatically mean it's the best. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, Rolex tends to be the choice of people who want an expensive watch without knowing much about watches. (And before any of you Rolex owners jump on that comment - yes I know that Rolex also appeals to a lot of peole who are very knowledgeable about watches too! BUT, there is no denying the "I'd like an expensive watch and Rolex is the only make I've heard of" syndrome as well)

Site Moderator