Liked in: 0 post
Jackson; Here is my data.

http://www.fhs.ch/statistics/watchmaking_2011.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:33 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Novacastrian wrote:
I dunno whether I'm right in reading it this way but it feels to me like Rolex have a robust confidence in their designs. They think they've got fundamentally the right designs which they slowly tweak and improve over time. Breitling on the other hand seem to discard proven designs in the search for something new or popular. What might look progressive to someone else looks to me like a lack of design confidence, direction and heritage appreciation.

I think Rolex sells watches on their Brand image to a larger extent than any other watch company. I would venture to say that Rolex has more customers that buy their watches based on brand image alone that many brands have customers period. They don;t change, because they don't have to. Is this a good thing? Maybe they would have more customers if they made some design changes. God only knows.

IMO Breitling doesn't have that in common. I think they have to work a lot harder for their sales. As do many other watch companies. I think this causes them to push the design and styling envelope faster and further.

On prices, many manufacturers raised prices base on the exchange rates, not just Breitling. It is undeniable that they are up there in price now (In-house etc). But is it past what the market will bare? Time will tell!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:49 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 9 posts
The data certainly show that, in 2011, Hong Kong pretty much kicked everybody else's butts in terms of consumption of Swiss watches, although China had the biggest leap in growth, percentage-wise. However, there's nothing in there that speaks specifically to Breitling sales. It seems reasonable to presume Breitling's sales correspond to the general distribution of the Swiss watch industry as a whole, but ultimately, that's speculation. Moreover, I don't see any reliable way to read into the data that a loss in Breitling's US sales (if any) is more than compensated for by an increase in Breitling's Asian sales, which was the real point I was questioning. Even the COSC figures wouldn't show that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:51 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

JacksonStone wrote:
The data certainly show that, in 2011, Hong Kong pretty much kicked everybody else's butts in terms of consumption of Swiss watches, although China had the biggest leap in growth, percentage-wise. However, there's nothing in there that speaks specifically to Breitling sales. It seems reasonable to presume Breitling's sales correspond to the general distribution of the Swiss watch industry as a whole, but ultimately, that's speculation. Moreover, I don't see any reliable way to read into the data that a loss in Breitling's US sales (if any) is more than compensated for by an increase in Breitling's Asian sales, which was the real point I was questioning. Even the COSC figures wouldn't show that.

I see your point. But one could conclude that if sales are up in total, and the largest area of growth is Asia, then sales in Asia are up. Since the mid 00's Breitling COSC cert numbers are up overall. If Asia was not selling net more than north america lost, sales wouldn't be up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:15 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

JustinFournier wrote:
I see your point. But one could conclude that if sales are up in total, and the largest area of growth is Asia, then sales in Asia are up. Since the mid 00's Breitling COSC cert numbers are up overall. If Asia was not selling net more than north america lost, sales wouldn't be up.

How do you figure there's a loss in North American sales? The data show sales are up in all markets, including the U.S., which was up 18.4% in 2011.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:33 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Volume based on years of the past, I believe off the top of my head, last years volume while up 18.4% still only reached the sales volumes in 05. I could be mistaken, as I have only slept 3 hours a night for 3 days in a row.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:54 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
Rolex have proven to themselves and to the market that they can continue their success on their legacy.
This seems to work in Asia where the sales growth is.
Breitling on the other hand is trying to re-invent itself or maybe even lift itself up the food chain.
The in house movement is one sign of it and the new image with the new designs is another.
Only time will tell and for Breitling it will certainly be a tough struggle and yes, I hope it works for them as I love the brand and most of their designs despite mixed feelings about some of the recent models.
The brand is is just not in the same league in Asia popularity wise as Rolex, Panerai, etc.. never mind all the French sounding brands like Constants, Brackets and Pickets ;-)
I for one never thought I could get used to the new style Chronomats and I got one because I needed to in order to complete my "holy grail" mission. Now that I have one however, I can not stop looking at it and I love it.

Strange.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:01 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
JustinFournier wrote:
.......as I have only slept 3 hours a night for 3 days in a row.

Sounds like you need to activate a child lock on your firewall software and register www.breitlingsource.com in the "banned destination" list :D :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:31 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

JBerg84 wrote:
Just purchased my first Breitling about a month ago. Curious, is the B01 and the Chronomat 44 one in the same? Is the B01 the quintessential Breitling timepiece? Opinions would be interesting. Ha Thanks.

Is the B01 the quintessential Breitling timepiece? No is my answer the Navitimer is the company's signature watch recognised by all but a few watch fans. Simple question answered simply.

Sorry no charts, graphs or sales numbers .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:54 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

JustinFournier wrote:
Volume based on years of the past, I believe off the top of my head, last years volume while up 18.4% still only reached the sales volumes in 05.

That makes sense.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:33 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

wessa wrote:
JustinFournier wrote:
.......as I have only slept 3 hours a night for 3 days in a row.

Sounds like you need to activate a child lock on your firewall software and register http://www.breitlingsource.com in the "banned destination" list :D :D :D

I need more consistent shifts, a day shift to a graveyard to a night shift back to a day shift, to a day off today... :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:59 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I love my B01 Limited

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:09 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Eh, if breitling keeps trying to appeal to guidos and rolex keep raising prices towards utter ridiculousness, Omega is starting to look better and better.