The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: New 2010 SuperOcean
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:37 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 0 post
My issues with it are twofold:
1) The space invader number on the bezel like the B01
2) Looks too much like a Sub. If I wanted a sub, I'd get a sub(and I may yet still).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:38 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Otto wrote:
oBMTo wrote:
Shouldn't they have called this a Seawolf?

Maybe in terms of the dial, but it doesn't look to have the Avenger-type case, which is what I associate the Wolf with.

That's why I don't like all this mix and matching. Ruins the identity of each model.

Like stencils on a SA (looks like a Skyland)
Like batons on a Seawolf (looks like Colt)

Otto wrote:
@ oBMTo - good point. It doesn't look to be a lumed bezel (a la IWC Aquatimer). If there isn't a pearl, that is a serious omission for a dive watch, IMO. The SOH has the same issue.

The SOH got away without a lume because it's more of a dressy diver. But this model looks more like a serious dive watch; and a serious dive watch needs a pearl.

dhalem wrote:
My issues with it are twofold:
1) The space invader number on the bezel like the B01
2) Looks too much like a Sub. If I wanted a sub, I'd get a sub(and I may yet still).

I do agree about the bezel, but I don't think anyone would ever confuse this with a submariner.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:40 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

oBMTo wrote:
I do agree about the bezel, but I don't think anyone would ever confuse this with a submariner.

It isn't that I think anyone would confuse it, but the black bezel and case shape are very submariner like to me. But I'm also judging a lot on the basis of one photo. We'll have to see!

Still waiting for B01 Navi without Space Invader numbers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:25 pm 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

I think Breitling is just trying to take a new direction with the entire Aeromarine line. They are all incorporating similar design cues on recent models but still staying unique. I like it and think they are looking modern and fresh. This Superocean is definitely something id buy.

BTW, anybody else notice the B01 font on the bezel?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:58 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Iantheklutz wrote:

Sorry about the re-post :oops:

I'm looking forward to seeing more new models. If this one is anything to go by there might be something ahead to take the place of my rollie explorer II :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:46 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

RJRJRJ wrote:
I think Breitling is just trying to take a new direction with the entire Aeromarine line. They are all incorporating similar design cues on recent models but still staying unique. I like it and think they are looking modern and fresh. This Superocean is definitely something id buy.

My thoughts exactly.

I have been intending to buy a new diver and was about 80% on a few shortlist candidates, but this has put them all on hold. If someone tells me this new SO will be 44mm, I swear my money will be down tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Strong words, particularly from someone who didn't like the B01. There has been an air of cynicism about Breitling's design ideas lately on this site, me included, but this one has caught me off guard. A Breitling I can't stop thinking about - that's the first time in a long while.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:50 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I must be honest, but I'm quite liking the new SO too! :thumbsup: Size might be an issue for me if it's still only 42mm, and the Logan's Run numbers on the bezel are a potential issue as well, but on the whole I think it's a nice looking beastie. And I do love the yellow rehaut - as has been mentioned already it's quite Aquatimer-esque in it's colour scheme. Which isn't a bad thing at all in my book. (However, raiding the TAG design drawer for the Colt GMT most definitely IS a bad thing! :wink: )

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:47 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I'm not hearing much because it's that time of year, but I don't think that the bezel is lumed.

I also like this, with the exception of the bezel font, although it is 'just' another cosmetic overhaul.

I keep hearing about different colours besides the yellow for different dials, but don't know what. Maybe green with a blue dial to tie in to the new SOH bezel (but that's just my speculation)???

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:11 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Roffensian wrote:
I'm not hearing much because it's that time of year, but I don't think that the bezel is lumed.

It'll be a strange move not to provide some kind of lume on the bezel (not even a pearl) if they are still planning to position it as a serious diver's watch. :huh Yes, we all know that real divers no longer rely on their watch when diving these days, but a pearl is still an integral part of a dive watch. Without it, why bother with even having the rotating bezel?

(Still looks great though!)

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:14 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

hmmm, i think i like it, i was afraid to look cuz my coral SO is only about 2 months old now. but from the pic, i'm happy with what i got :)

will it be the same size as the existing so?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:54 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Sharkmouth wrote:
Wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same things! I think the bezel looks great. And the rehaut looks stunning!

IMHO, the best looking new Breitling I've seen in many years. (Wish the 6 and 9 indices were triangles rather than rectangles though.)

I'm not sure which watch your all talking about the green bezel superocean ???

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:09 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Borg wrote:
Sharkmouth wrote:
Wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same things! I think the bezel looks great. And the rehaut looks stunning!

IMHO, the best looking new Breitling I've seen in many years. (Wish the 6 and 9 indices were triangles rather than rectangles though.)

I'm not sure which watch your all talking about the green bezel superocean ???

No. There's a picture of what we're talking about on the first post in this thread (funnily enough).

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:48 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

let me ask this, on a diver watch like the SO, dont the rider tabs server a purpose? like being able to turn the bezel with a glove on underwater...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:55 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I have been looking at this picture all day. I have had the money set aside for a while now that I would like to spend on a sport/dive watch. I love the Rolex Sub, but it is too expensive. I really truly LOVE the SOH 46, but I have been on the fence because I'm afraid it's size will go out of style and look too big someday. I also think that the I may someday prefer a bracelet over the mesh. I have been considering the Omega SMPO, but I would prefer to get another Breitling. As for other Breitlings, I wanted to get a dive watch with a colored bezel - preferably black.

Then today I saw this beauty. I love it, although I would like to see one that is a little more discreet and classic looking than the black ind yellow. If they come out with one that is black or white where the yellow is, or some other color combination that is not so "sporty", I think I will jump all over this thing imediately. I can't wait to see other colors and bracelet options, and I would love to see one of the babies in person. This might be the perfect watch for me. I'm glad I waited.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:42 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

salt_shaker wrote:
let me ask this, on a diver watch like the SO, dont the rider tabs server a purpose? like being able to turn the bezel with a glove on underwater...

I would be more worried about the actual purpose of the bezel on the new SO. It doesn't seem to be useful underwater at all, as far as I can see. It lacks the pearl at 12-hour, and it doesn't have any 1-minute notch, but only 5-minute notches all round. Unless of course the yellow rehaut would act as the bezel was supposed to do.

To me the new SO seems more like a fashion accessory than a serious diver's tool [[correct me please if I miss the point]]. The current SO started that with the all-polished bracelet -- which IMHO looks weird on a diver's watch.

Regardless of all that, I love it so far. I don't dive, so I wouldn't mind the lack of diver functions at all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next