The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:07 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
shy147 wrote:
I imagine SuperQuartz will be the only option (can't see them going back to standard quartz), unless they have a more up to date quartz movement to supersede it.

It will be SQ only - Breitling don't invest in quartz movement technology and the ETA thermolines are the latest mainstream innovations.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:06 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
wessa wrote:
Saying that the Emergency (1 or 2) is an ELT first and a watch second is a bit like saying that that the chronograph is an Olympic stop watch first and a normal watch second.
I would never want to rely on my Emergency watch as a primary distress device as a recreational pilot, mountain climber, sailor, etc.... I would be making sure that I am equipped with a device specifically designed for such a purpose with GPS capabilities, etc....
The Emergency is just a fancy gimmick that might just happen to save a life but as I said, I would not want to rely on it in situations where I may need one.

A watch with a chronograph function is just that, the E is a beacon with a watch function. The whole concept was designed around the beacon. It was never designed to be used as a primary beacon and Breitling have always stressed this. It is supposed to supplement the planes on board locator, that and the fact it is strapped to your arm, so worst case scenario, you have a beacon on you if you crash land in water or lose any on board capabilities, if you down a plane, people will know and come looking, if they are actively seeking you, the E is more than enough. Back in the day when this was first released and 121.5Mhz was the mainstream channel this was far from a gimmick and has saved numerous people (funnily enough even with it's 30M water resistance rating, mainly sailors). Don't forget this concept was first designed in the 80's, then created and sold before satellite technology was at such a peak. In 1995 there were two main freq's, that being the universal 121.5Mhz and the military 243Mhz, which eventually were monitored by satellite until late 2009.

Now the 121.5Mhz has been superseded by GPS technology (406Mhz) for the majority of ELT's, which I imagine this new E will contain. Saying that, the new age ELT's still broadcast on both freq's - 406 and 121.5Mhz. It is a legal requirement in many countries to monitor 121.5Mhz as the secondary frequency and 99% of commercial and private planes will continue to actively monitor this freq for many years to come, the latter being confirmed by a friend who works as an air traffic controller, as they use this to alert aircraft of restricted zones, etc. To say it is a gimmick is a bit naive and fatuous.

Many people see this as a gimmick watch to show off to their mates down the pub, far from it, it is a tool first a watch second (all pilots who I have met who own an E have this mentality), that is why in 1995 it was not for sale to Joe public, and only available to people who carried a commercial or military pilots license. Breitling made two versions initially, 121.5Mhz for commercial and private pilots and 243Mhz for the military.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:06 pm 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
wessa wrote:

Saying that the Emergency (1 or 2) is an ELT first and a watch second is a bit like saying that that the chronograph is an Olympic stop watch first and a normal watch second.
I would never want to rely on my Emergency watch as a primary distress device as a recreational pilot, mountain climber, sailor, etc.... I would be making sure that I am equipped with a device specifically designed for such a purpose with GPS capabilities, etc....
The Emergency is just a fancy gimmick that might just happen to save a life but as I said, I would not want to rely on it in situations where I may need one.

Forgot to add - in my (perhaps naive and fatuous) opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:39 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
Hot Seat - Emergency2
http://youtu.be/YJ4mNobZ2Ew

Nautilus 5711
Deep Sea D-Blue
Submariner Hulk
Tudor BB - FOR SALE
SOLD
Aerospace
Navitimer World
Bentley GT Racing
Cockpit
Navitimer 01 LE 788/2000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:02 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

shy147 wrote:
wessa wrote:

A watch with a chronograph function is just that, the E is a beacon with a watch function. The whole concept was designed around the beacon. It was never designed to be used as a primary beacon and Breitling have always stressed this. It is supposed to supplement the planes on board locator, that and the fact it is strapped to your arm, so worst case scenario, you have a beacon on you if you crash land in water or lose any on board capabilities, if you down a plane, people will know and come looking, if they are actively seeking you, the E is more than enough. Back in the day when this was first released and 121.5Mhz was the mainstream channel this was far from a gimmick and has saved numerous people (funnily enough even with it's 30M water resistance rating, mainly sailors). Don't forget this concept was first designed in the 80's, then created and sold before satellite technology was at such a peak. In 1995 there were two main freq's, that being the universal 121.5Mhz and the military 243Mhz, which eventually were monitored by satellite until late 2009.

Now the 121.5Mhz has been superseded by GPS technology (406Mhz) for the majority of ELT's, which I imagine this new E will contain. Saying that, the new age ELT's still broadcast on both freq's - 406 and 121.5Mhz. It is a legal requirement in many countries to monitor 121.5Mhz as the secondary frequency and 99% of commercial and private planes will continue to actively monitor this freq for many years to come, the latter being confirmed by a friend who works as an air traffic controller, as they use this to alert aircraft of restricted zones, etc. To say it is a gimmick is a bit naive and fatuous.

Many people see this as a gimmick watch to show off to their mates down the pub, far from it, it is a tool first a watch second (all pilots who I have met who own an E have this mentality), that is why in 1995 it was not for sale to Joe public, and only available to people who carried a commercial or military pilots license. Breitling made two versions initially, 121.5Mhz for commercial and private pilots and 243Mhz for the military.

I'm an airline pilot and can confirm that we still monitor 121.5 MHz on VHF 2 every flight and I don't see that changing anytime soon! The current Emergency is still a very handy beacon to have on your wrist if you are the kind of person who puts yourself in situations where you might need some help!! 121.5 MHz will continue to be monitored into the foreseeable future and, as far as I know, is still actually used as the final frequency to home onto a beacon's location even if it does transmit on 406 MHz as well..

I'm assuming this new Emergency will be the upgrade to the 406 MHz tech, anyone know for sure?

Also, I read on another forum that Breitling bought enough parts from Dassault to maintain the beacons on current E's for at least the next 10 years!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:16 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
It is 406.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:26 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

New Emergency 2 teaser video "Ice Shaked", a peek of an orange/coral dial Emergency on the helicopter pilots wrist?

Wonder what dial options will be announced at Basel and will yellow come back again to join the returning orange. Not long to wait now.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 18 posts
maz2010 wrote:
New Emergency 2 teaser video "Ice Shaked", a peek of an orange/coral dial Emergency on the helicopter pilots wrist?

Lol, a better ad for Navi01 than the E2 I thought!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:20 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 1 post
Dr J wrote:
maz2010 wrote:

Lol, a better ad for Navi01 than the E2 I thought!

Better ad for Breitling factory service, that Navi is going to get wet...

The coral is really eye-catching in that split second shot. I didn't see any dial at all in the E2 Sailboat video trailer. Did anybody?
I think an E2 in Breitling yellow, is a given for their professional line.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:24 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I imagine yellow will also be included as coral is confirmed in one of the teasers, along with blue and black. They may bring out one or two other dials or limited dials such as graphite grey or carbon fibre which would look nice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:43 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 4 posts
looking good so far :)

Omega Planet Ocean Chrono 9300 Co-axial Ceramic on SS bracelet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:32 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Someone told me today that The E2 will be Automatic!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:36 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 16 posts
Perhaps some good news from Breitling about this new Emergency II Watch (see their "official twitter account" : Find out more about the emergency II on April 24th

So it's in a few minutes for us in France, it's now 23:35, Tuesday, April 23rd 2013

Can't wait anymore now :wowzers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:19 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 3 posts
maz2010 wrote:

Wonder what dial options will be announced at Basel and will yellow come back again to join the returning orange. Not long to wait now.

That could well be yellow... Looks orange just because of the shade.

Fred

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:08 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

There she is all 51mm of her.

http://www.breitling.com/en/

Last edited by speedwing on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 21  Next