The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:56 am 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:26 pm
Posts: 698
Likes: 29 posts
Liked in: 37 posts
I'd just like to say that I really like the look of these. They look like what Breitlings core watches should look like.

The bezel has echoes of the old Chrono Superocean calibre 13 or Superocean cal. 17 42mm, the extra bevel on the lugs, simplified dial.... It's all good to me!

My favourites are the blue dial and steel model
and also the black ceramic night mission... which seems to take some influence from IWC top gun (another favourite).

Nice one Breitling!

_________________
Oyster Date '78, Blackbird chrono DLC '10, Blackbird chrono' 02, Navitimer Fighters '02, Aerospace Evo , Seamaster Chrono Diver 300' 02, Carrera cbm2110


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:48 am 
Offline
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:39 am
Posts: 12837
Likes: 148 posts
Liked in: 519 posts
Location: UK
I generally like them, but, as ever, I have pros and cons with this release. (I'm only concentrating on the chrono version here).

Pros -
- Great to see the B01 in the Avenger line.
- The 6 o'clock date position.
- The ceramic, forged carbon dial, Night Mission model looks great (especially with the numerals on the dial).
- Not too much of a departure design-wise from the old model.
- All pretty decent colourways.

Cons -
- The biggest issue for me (and it over-rides all the pros TBH) is the size - it looks very big when I took a screenshot and sized it 1:1 on my phone. Personally I'd like to see more B01 chronos in the 40-42mm range these days.
- The models with batons look like there's a lot of empty real estate on the dial. In fact, I'm not a fan of Breitling's drive towards dial simplification, and function/spec reduction, in general. Kern himself has said the Avenger is now “sporty chic” and “less aggressive” than the previous versions. To me, that kind of thing just make Breitling more like any other fashion brand instead of the niche aviation-focussed brand of old. I know brands sometimes have to diversify or die, but the whole “Instruments for Professionals” thing was what first attracted me to Breitling, so I’m still sad to see that go.
- I was hoping the "filler" between the lugs (like on the old Chrono Avenger) would be brought back as that used to help prevent unsightly gaps when wearing the watch on a strap.
- Not a deal-breaker this one, but I would've quite liked the Wings logo to have remained for the Avenger line.

I was really looking forward to this release, and I DO like it quite a bit, but the size is the killer for me as I'm much more into smaller, thinner watches these days - 40-42mm diameter, sub-50mm lug to lug, and a thickness of no more than 13mm or so.

Obviously I'll have to see it in person, but initial thoughts are "fairly nice, but too big".

_________________
Driver8

Site Moderator
Image



Hunterfate likes this post.
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:37 pm 
Offline
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:14 pm
Posts: 49
Likes: 38 posts
Liked in: 14 posts
Location: Budapest/Hungary
I also have strong pros and cons (and a "neutral") towards the renewed Avenger collection.

Let me begin with the
cons:
- the deal breaker for me is the size. I'd be happy to see Breitling chronographs in the 40-41 mm range. Not only because nowadays (fortunately) a re-sizing turn from the over-sized watches seems to be alive but for small-to-average wrists like mine (17 cm) does not take up larger watches for everyday (=office) use. This size would come of course with a matching, shorter lug-to-lug size (under 50 mm) and a bit thinner case (keeping at least 200 m WR) and these are also positive changes.
- I'd also be way happier with a day-date featured ETA 7750 (cal. 13) version added as an option to the B01 in the mentioned 40-41 mm size. Breitling offered (partly offer) a choice of chronographs with both calibers (I mean the Aviator 8 and the SuperOcean Heritage) and that is a good thing. Lots of persons need the week-day feature on their watches, me too. So far the smallest swimmable (=min. 100 m WR) day-date chrono with turning bezel used to be 42 mm (the CSO), while other manufacturers offered such from 38-39 mm. Sweet spot for many is 40 mm. Now this offer from Breitling is at 44 mm with a long lug-to-lug distance.
- B01: 1. functions: the very best would be a decent additional weekday feature and with a central 60-minute counter. With that, a weekday feature with a sub-dial at 3 could be beautiful and make a symmetrical dial. Without the centra minute counter a co-axial subdial week-day indicator at 6 would be also nice. The most traditional dial would come with a Valjoux 72C layout... :) and the very best would be a fly-back feature upon all these... :) I know that caliber complications development costs a fortune but these are "small complications" and nothing to invent from scratch, they can be even outsourced. 2. Escapement: AFAIK the silicone parts patent has already expired and so Breitling can (and should finally) catch up with the main competing brands, resulting in higher antimagnetism and even better daily rates, with using a balance bridge instead of balance cock further enhancing the rates. Of course these upgraded movements could/should also be used for other Breitling watch collections.

And now the
pros:
- case design is perfect.
- bezel design is perfect, with 0-60 count-up engraving.
- bidirectional bezel is the way to go: easier and quicker use with less ratchet mechanism use and thus longer ratchet lifetime - and this is not a hardcore diver's watch.
- chrono pusher design is highly welcome: not as prominent as the earlier round design, while seems to be a little bit less prone to take up hits, that is these pushers are more defended from smashes.
- brushed surfaces with only a touch of polished elements.
- nicely integrated date at 6.
- quick-micro-adjust clasp with double pushers (I do not know the exact micro-adjust range but it can be around 10 mm or more, that is long enough to use it 4 seasons without taking or adding a bracelet link twice a year.

And a
neutral:
- "B" instead of the wings: I like both and have Breitling chronographs with both (2 Grand Premiers with the "B", Chronomat 41, Steelfish Chrono and Aerospace Avantage with the wings). I don't mind a tad more "empty" dial but with the mentioned smaller watch case the dial would look less "empty" with the "B".

Summary: a very promising renewed modell family, waiting for the 40-41 mm version with the day-date 7750! (Blackeye-Blue for me...)

Sorry for the long post...
Best,
Robert

_________________
Current: Breitling Chronomat 41, Steelfish Chrono BEB dials, Grand Premiers both dials, Aerospace Avantage, IWC Aquatimer 3719 3767, Fliegerchrono 3705, Sinn 103 St plexy



Hunterfate likes this post.
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:08 am 
Offline
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:01 pm
Posts: 8010
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 33 posts
Hey guy, how you been? I was at my AD picking up a Chronomat GMT on the 31st. The owner, I won’t mention the AD name, brought out the new aeromarine line for me to look at a day early. I was fairly impressed. I really liked the “sand” dial on the one new Avenger Chrono. Sadly, I have long since written off watches of that size. Definite upgrade for the line tho.

_________________
SHARKMAN


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:18 am 
Offline
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:39 am
Posts: 12837
Likes: 148 posts
Liked in: 519 posts
Location: UK
sharkman wrote:
Hey guy, how you been? I was at my AD picking up a Chronomat GMT on the 31st. The owner, I won’t mention the AD name, brought out the new aeromarine line for me to look at a day early. I was fairly impressed. I really liked the “sand” dial on the one new Avenger Chrono. Sadly, I have long since written off watches of that size. Definite upgrade for the line tho.

Wow, here's a name from the past! This thread was the first time I'd logged on for months, so it's good to see you around Sharky! :thumbsup: Just need Roff to put in an appearance now. :lol:

_________________
Driver8

Site Moderator
Image



56scooter likes this post.
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:51 am 
Offline
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:01 pm
Posts: 8010
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 33 posts
Driver8 wrote:
sharkman wrote:
Hey guy, how you been? I was at my AD picking up a Chronomat GMT on the 31st. The owner, I won’t mention the AD name, brought out the new aeromarine line for me to look at a day early. I was fairly impressed. I really liked the “sand” dial on the one new Avenger Chrono. Sadly, I have long since written off watches of that size. Definite upgrade for the line tho.

Wow, here's a name from the past! This thread was the first time I'd logged on for months, so it's good to see you around Sharky! :thumbsup: Just need Roff to put in an appearance now. :lol:



What’s up Driver? First time here in a long time for me. I’ve been more into bang for the buck pieces these days. Like Mido, Lorier, Baltic, Formex, Longines, Hammy, even an Rado, etc. But I fell in love with the British Racing Green dial Chronomat GMT. And I never had a bullet bracelet before. Oh well. And a GO PML still has a spot on the winders

I have been in contact with Scott.

I guess the Caribbean has Roff now.

_________________
SHARKMAN


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:21 am 
Offline
King of Ling
King of Ling
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:30 pm
Posts: 1511
Likes: 126 posts
Liked in: 74 posts
Location: Minnesota, USA
Saw the new 3 hand Avenger at my AD last week. Size was nice at42 mm, great brushed case and bracelet. Thin profile and the new micro adjust ratchet clasp were pluses. No wings though :( .

Anyway didn’t purchase but saw this in the used case, just back from Breitling full service. Had to have it, been looking for one of these for many years…

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
Chrono Jetstream
Montbrilliant 1903
Aerospace E79362


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:15 pm 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:37 am
Posts: 3785
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 20 posts
Location: USA
sharkman wrote:
Driver8 wrote:
sharkman wrote:
Hey guy, how you been? I was at my AD picking up a Chronomat GMT on the 31st. The owner, I won’t mention the AD name, brought out the new aeromarine line for me to look at a day early. I was fairly impressed. I really liked the “sand” dial on the one new Avenger Chrono. Sadly, I have long since written off watches of that size. Definite upgrade for the line tho.

Wow, here's a name from the past! This thread was the first time I'd logged on for months, so it's good to see you around Sharky! :thumbsup: Just need Roff to put in an appearance now. :lol:



What’s up Driver? First time here in a long time for me. I’ve been more into bang for the buck pieces these days. Like Mido, Lorier, Baltic, Formex, Longines, Hammy, even an Rado, etc. But I fell in love with the British Racing Green dial Chronomat GMT. And I never had a bullet bracelet before. Oh well. And a GO PML still has a spot on the winders

I have been in contact with Scott.

I guess the Caribbean has Roff now.


Whoa look who made an appearance back on the bsource!! Hope all is well. I recently picked up the new Avenger Night Mission, amazing piece. Finally a ceramic Breitling, never thought I’d see the day. Wish it was slightly smaller but still loving it none the less.

_________________
"I don't own any watches, I just lease them"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 40 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
 




Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group