The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:12 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Very much as expected, Breitling hasn't disappointed with the 60th anniversary Cosmonaute that was released today -

https://www.breitling.com/gb-en/watches ... 2301A1B1P1

I have to say, and this comes hot on the heels of the 2022 Navitimer which I also like a lot, I think this is the best looking new Breitling FOR YEARS! :thumbsup:

I've always wanted a Cosmo, but was always put off by them either being too old (and I'm not a vintage fan as a rule), or having the 4:30 date cutting into the numerals in the worst way possible, and (even worse!) having a non-dial-matched date wheel. This one remedies all those problems... and then some! Plus it's running a hand-wound, in-house B02, so that makes it just about perfect IMO. :thumbsup:

Of course, nothing is truly perfect, and sadly this one is no exception.... but my gripes are mercifully minor (but important to me)! :wink:

Firstly, I can't help wishing it was in the 43mm size as the 41mm is very diminutive on my wrist. I also believe the original was actually 42.5mm across (due to Carpenter requesting a slightly wider bezel for ease of grip), so going with the 43mm would actually make sense, plus it'd be my personal preference anyway as the actual case size on these Navis is less than the nominal dimensions.

Secondly, there's no getting away from the fact it's got quite a chunky price tag. It's £2k more than the standard Navi, no doubt partly due to the use of platinum for the bezel. I get the celebratory and unique nature of using platinum, but I have to say it's something I'd happily forgo for a more wallet-friendly price.

And lastly, I REALLY wish it wasn't such a limited Capsule edition. I really hoped the Cosmo would be making a return to the main permanent catalogue, because 362 isn't very many, and I think this watch is so good it deserved more. (Obviously I get the "3 times round the Earth" and 1962 references in the 362, but it's still a bit of a shame).

It's an absolutely beautiful, BEAUTIFUL piece IMO, but sadly one I can't justify buying at the moment........ and no doubt when I can, it'll be gone. :? So it's all very bitter-sweet. For a 43mm version, I'd have pushed the boat out on the price. For a circa £6K price tag, I'd have overlooked the size. For a non-LE run, I wouldn't have to push the boat out as I could take my time getting one! As I say, it's a bit bitter-sweet as it's a truly gorgeous looking piece.

Site Moderator

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 2:51 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Wow. I know I don't spend much time here myself these days, but I can't believe how dead this place is now.

A brand new (and IMO, stunning) Breitling is released, and 2 days later and almost 100 views of this thread (at the time of writing), and yet not a single member has an opinion, a view, or anything to say about this new Cosmonaute. I remember a time when a new model would've generated pages of discussion and good-natured banter here. Then again, we used to have a very active membership with a bunch of regular posters who made this place one of the best forums around.

Very sad how engagement here is now practically non-existent. :(

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:01 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
I texted George at Govburg about this watch after seeing your post. He said I'd have to buy it through a boutique. I'm considering it.

Breitling Colt GMT
Omega Seamaster GMT "Great White"
Omega Speedmaster X-33
Rolex GMT Master IIc
Bremont ALT1-ZT

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:16 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 52 posts
I think the piece is interesting, but I agree with your two points of size and price as barrier to entry for me.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 1:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
Driver8 wrote:
Wow. I know I don't spend much time here myself these days, but I can't believe how dead this place is now.

A brand new (and IMO, stunning) Breitling is released, and 2 days later and almost 100 views of this thread (at the time of writing), and yet not a single member has an opinion, a view, or anything to say about this new Cosmonaute. I remember a time when a new model would've generated pages of discussion and good-natured banter here. Then again, we used to have a very active membership with a bunch of regular posters who made this place one of the best forums around.

Very sad how engagement here is now practically non-existent. :(

yes, this is sad indeed. and if there's a comment there's no watch that isn't too expensive, too small or too big ;)

would really like to know what u all are comparing that watch with- a highly decorated and exclusive in-house caliber manufactured for a small LE run, a unique platinum bezel as a "nod of respect" to the unique original Scott Carpenter wide bezel, the most subtle way to show exclusivity in very good taste.

but... WAY too expensive, of course ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 1:30 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

if someone here is interested in the history of the First Swiss Wristwatch in Space, here's an interesting aricle (u need to remove the space in the link below between the H and ODINKEE, as we can't link to that hated site here...), written by my friend Jeff Stein.

https://www.h odinkee.com/articles/scott-carpenters-breitling-cosmonaute-the-first-swiss-wristwatch-worn-in-space?fbclid=IwAR0itebbB4TYloQME38cVeKKqE_16TTloeSphSgpb_YeS_o5QjiBcQNsImU

Clipperpan likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:41 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

That was a really great article, thanks Fred!

I do have a question, and perhaps you could shed some insight on it. The article mentioned how Willy had become intensely interested in the competition between the U.S. and Soviet space programs. It begs the question of how the name Cosmonaut was chosen over Astronaut, for a watch that was purpose-built for a US astronaut. Do you have any context on that?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 1:26 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Astronaut had been registered before, so wasn’t available. Willy was too slow to register (tried in 1961 already), but Bulova beat him to it. Took them until 1972 to orbit, but they had the name ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 3:53 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Thanks Fred!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:19 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
What a gorgeous watch! I love the 24 hour dial.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:20 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Hi guys, I have a question.
In the previous Cosmonaute limited edition was clearly written the individual number of the watch, now as far as I understand is only written (one of 362). That means there is no way to know your exact watch number. Isn’t it less safe to do so, even when you buy a used watch and there is no number to tied up the actual watch with the paperwork.
Also if Breitling will decide to produce few more watches no one will ever know?
Thank you for your answers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:49 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

every Breitling has a unique serial number, so of course, there is cross-referencing between the watch and all of its components from purchase to all service work, etc., all this is available online for the owner and protected through blockchain technology. as safe as you can be.

yes, in theory, Breitling could rip you off and flood the market with thousands of these LE. if you think that this is even a remote possibility, you should definitely walk away and look for someone you trust. I can assure you nobody at Breitling would for a second think to do that.

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:27 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

WatchFred wrote:
yes, in theory, Breitling could rip you off and flood the market with thousands of these LE. if you think that this is even a remote possibility, you should definitely walk away and look for someone you trust. I can assure you nobody at Breitling would for a second think to do that.

Thank you for the answer WatchFred.
Yes of course I trust Breitling, they would never do something like producing more than they promised.
I just thought was a bit strange that they departed from the serial number embossed in the back case, which characterizes many of their LE and makes even more special the watch for those lucky enough to purchase.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:40 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

the serial is on each of the watches cases - just no individually numbered LE
reason behind that is that with the Navitimer 806 Re-Edition, the last individually numbered LE marketed worldwide, we had MASSIVE fights between country subsidiaries and Boutiques who each wanted to secure "lucky numbers" and birth year watches for their "VIP clients", ending up with dozens of unhappy clients, loudly voicing their frustration.

So the decision is to only offer individually numbered LE for "single market" (i.e. country) Editions.

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:04 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thank you,
I didn’t realized people put so much importance to serial numbers, that’s definitely why they wrote one of 362.