The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:37 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi folks, I've been doing as much reading as I can whilst looking for a new watch and there's something about the class and history of the navitimer that keeps me coming back to it time and again. I started looking at the newer 01s and A23322, but there's something about the elegance of an 806 that nothing new can match.

As such I've been keeping an eye out, and though a contact found this one here. This'll be my first major step into watches, so really don't want to cock it up! At first glance the serial is "134XXXX" which would date it circa 1970. Comparing to what I've read elsewhere it looks relatively original and the box is a nice touch, however the hands really seem to stand out as overly white. I appreciate there are only a couple of photos at present, but is there anything that should be setting alarm bells ringing?

What else should I look out for / ask before potentially going to view with a chunk of change?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:11 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 364 posts
It is in overall pretty poor condition, lume is black, dial is stained, and the hands are blindingly white (no sympathetic replacement). Unless its super cheap, save your cash and wait for a better example. The box is nice though!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:13 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks for the input on this - I didn't know how much was down to condition, and how much was down to photos. If the price was right and a watch is too far gone I wouldn't be opposed to sending it off to be restored, especially if NOS parts are still about - there's something I like about bringing something back to near new ready for the next 50 years.

Is this something Breitling still do directly, and indeed is it generally frowned upon or embraced?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:12 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I wouldn’t touch, wrong bezel, needs new hand set and lumes are bad. If u restore it would mean a complete overhaul which is very difficult given components and the Lume can’t be fixed...save your bucks imho...

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:41 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 137 posts
Dial does not match the watch, would have red arrows as the chapter ring . If it is low priced, you can look after a good replacement ring . Hands are a replacement , they look too new and would need to be aged in order to match with the dial .

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:29 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 364 posts
There are red markings on the dial and the sliderule. The ones on the dial are quite faint. I don't think there is any mismatch problem. Sliderule probably been replaced in its life as it's been exposed to a lot of moisture.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:53 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 137 posts
I don' t see them red, bad pic or bad eyes? Anyway, a better dial would give a better watch .

buddman likes this post.