The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:59 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I'm considering the Superocean ii as my first Breitling watch. Normally they are out of my price range but with a rubber strap and some scrimping here and there I can just about justify the cost.

It's a very nice strap and very comfortable. At 20mm lug width, there are plenty of aftermarket options. However, I've always thought one of the main characteristics of a Breitling watch was the easily identifiable bracelet with slanted links. I'm not sure if it's a complete watch without the SS bracelet.

What are your thoughts, should I get it now with the rubber strap or would it be worth it to spring for the bracelet?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:35 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
The following is just my opinion so keep that in mind. First, I would not buy any Breitling watch till after the completion of the Basel watch fair in March. This fair is where most of the new offerings from various manufactures will be introduced. Breitling has already introduced the Navitimer8 and is supposed to showcase changes to the Navitimer line. Georges Kern has already stated that certain lines in the Breitling lineup will be eliminated. When that happens you can expect to receive better discounts from dealers looking to clear out the discontinued inventory. Whether or not the Superocean II will be discontinued is anyones guess. Generally the advice here on the forum is to buy a watch with the bracelet so that you can receive a better discount on the bracelet than you would be able to obtain if you went in to an AD and attempted to buy just the bracelet.

I realize that money is tight but you also might want to look at a Superocean Heritage II, at $600-700 more than the superocean II it offers an in-house movement and an additional 3 years of warranty! Bottom line in my opinion, give yourself a couple of months time to let things shake out as they say. Good luck on your hunt!

3 people like this post.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:50 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks. How soon after the Basel watch fair? I've always been curious about that.
My guy gives me prices in the low 30's. I doubt the prices would get any lower than what I would be paying even with the clearance but I will try my best to hold off for at least a month.

I went to have a look earlier and I'm good with the black dial 42mm. It's just a matter of choosing the strap. If it were any other brand, I would not have such a hard time with this, especially as I probably won't be using the stainless bracelet much. It's just I find it to be a big part of the Brietling watch's persona or identity, I don't think it would be right to buy one without the SS. Maybe that's just me.

This is definitely above budget, double in fact and I would be pushing back a planned trip a couple months back if I were to go ahead with this, but the Superocean 2 is the only watch I've tried recently that doesn't give me any slight hesitation about it's design or fit. Nothing except for the price...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:27 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I have a SO 44 and own the Bracelet and a couple different Breitling Rubber straps. While the Bracelet looks great , for everyday use I feel it would get dinged and marked on my desk at the office. What I actually prefer is a $35 cheap Rubber strap with deployment. Its the most comfortable for everyday wear. If I'm going out I can put the bracelet or one of the Breitling Rubber straps with Tang buckle. I cant get myself to spend the $300 + for a Breitling deployment clasp Rubber strap, that's 15 or 20% of a preowned Aerospace I'm saving for.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:55 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

With the 42mm it actually comes with a polished bracelet which lowers the chances of me ever using one. Still, i feel I should go for one, not just for the feeling of getting a "complete" package but for the savings as well. I could always sell it on afterwards and get back 300-450 back on the price of the watch.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:43 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
There is a simple rule with watches as far as I'm concerned: always buy a watch with a bracelet if one is available, as the cost at the time is a fraction of what you will pay pay for the bracelet later. To me, straps are consumable items, and aftermarket options are plenty. Buy it with the bracelet, and if you really don’t like it, you can sell it at a healthy margin over the extra cost. That said, Nothing in life is forever, and I think you’ll take a hit at resale of the watch down the track without the bracelet. Therefore, BUY THE BRACELET (and keep it) - IMHO!

dcdx likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:45 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

arcadelt wrote:
There is a simple rule with watches as far as I'm concerned: always buy a watch with a bracelet if one is available, as the cost at the time is a fraction of what you will pay pay for the bracelet later. To me, straps are consumable items, and aftermarket options are plenty. Buy it with the bracelet, and if you really don’t like it, you can sell it at a healthy margin over the extra cost. That said, Nothing in life is forever, and I think you’ll take a hit at resale of the watch down the track without the bracelet. Therefore, BUY THE BRACELET (and keep it) - IMHO!

Makes a lot of sense. The thing I'm just starting to realize is the 20mm Professional 3 will come with end links specifically for the SO II. I don't know if the end links fit other watches or if they are easily replaceable to fit other models but if not, then that limits the chances of being able to sell it on.

Getting back to one of my earlier points, for some reason I kind of feel like the bracelet is an essential part of a Breitling watch because of those instantly recognizable links, but that's just me. I've heard other people say they hate them and that they consider those stainless bezels to be the "trademark" look of a Breitling. I've never seriously considered getting one until now so I haven't had a chance to give it much thought or seek opinions on it.