The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:46 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Have there been any reports on how Breitlight is holding up under daily use? Although I really like the look of the Avenger Hurricane, it is way too big for me. Now, however, with the release of the 45mm version, I am considering adding it to the top of my "want" list. That matte black case with the black dial and yellow accents really speaks to me.

The problem is, at $8,400 (!), I'd have to sell all my "good" watches (and, maybe, one camera) in order to afford it. Since Breitlight is supposed to be harder than steel and the rough, matte finish would, in theory, hide any minor dings or scratches, I could see the Avenger Hurricane 45 being my only watch. That is, if it really lives up to the hype.

Thoughts on this?

Chrono Avenger, Grey Dial, Pro II
Steelfish, Black Dial, Ocean Racer
Super Avenger, White Dial, Pro II
Casio GWG-1000-1A3 Mudmaster
Sinn UX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
After a recent watch purchase of another brand that my wife thought was a secretive purchase she went out and bought a Skyracer, a watch that she had always admired but one that I would not buy for her! Since that day it has become her daily wearer despite an extensive collection of other watches. She absolutely loves it, it has held up extremely well, no scratches or damage of any type. Granted she does not wear it in an physically demanding environment but it does see its share of "knocks". FWIW, two friends of mine have also purchased one and also love them. Although the list may be $8400, I am sure that you could get a 20-25% discount off of that price, hopefully you will be able to hold onto the camera and a couple of other watches. If you need the name of an AD drop me a pm and I will forward you their contact info. Good Luck!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:21 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
56scooter wrote:
-snip- bought a Skyracer -snip- Although the list may be $8400, -snip-

Hold on .. a Breitlight Colt Skyracer .. $8400 ???
that cant be right ? they're selling here for around 1700 euro

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
I believe that the OP was referring to the MSRP of the Avenger Hurricane, I was commenting on the Breitlite material in the Skyracer.

Dracha likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:37 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 40 posts
I still don't understand why the Breitlight range doesn't have proper dive-watch water resistance, and whether the reason is something to do with any limitations of the material.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:42 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
I have handled the Hurricane at an AD and was impressed by the weight and feel of it. So far I have not heard of any complaints about it. The tactical look, in conjunction with the yellow accents shouts Breitling to me. The price is also cheaper than I thought to be considering that it is in-house movement. I would have gotten it if I had the extra cash.

However, I wouldn't get it as my only watch because I am the kind of guy who is more into a classic steel watch with bracelet as my main or one and only watch. The Hurricane is good to have in the collection in my opinion because it is "something different", but if you are planning to have it as your one and only watch I am worried that you might change your mind one day. My concerns are:

-100m WR is a little low for such a size IMO.
-The lifespan of the strap. Of course you can change the strap if it gives way one day. For me I avoid changing the main components of the watch(e.g. case, bracelet, caseback) that would take away the sentimental value of it and would make it no longer the "same watch". That is if you have the intentions of making it your family heirloom.
-The versatility of it as compared to a steel watch.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:20 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Thanks all, for the input and suggestions. It sounds like the Hurricane Avenger 45 would hold up as a daily wearer but, as Chronomat01LE pointed out, it may be tough for me to keep as my only watch. Unfortunately, because of the cost, it would have to come down to that for me, I'd really have to sell off just about everything in order to afford it.

The low water resistance and eventual wear on the strap don't bother me but wearing the same watch every day will become old sooner or later, no matter how hyped I am about the watch. I guess this is the decision I have to make... now that I know that it could work as my one and only, should I really do it?

56scooter: sending PM, thanks.

Chrono Avenger, Grey Dial, Pro II
Steelfish, Black Dial, Ocean Racer
Super Avenger, White Dial, Pro II
Casio GWG-1000-1A3 Mudmaster
Sinn UX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:00 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
Wtf is a bright light lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:53 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 12 posts
Quote:
What’s interesting about the Breitling Avenger Hurricane is that despite their large case sizes, the cases are made from a Breitling-patented polymer called “Breitlight,” which is 3 times lighter than titanium and nearly 6 times lighter than stainless steel in weight. Despite the lightweight case, the polymer is significantly harder than titanium and stainless steel and more resistant to scratches and corrosion.

http://blog.authenticwatches.com/?p=1209

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:33 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I've been wearing one every day for 8 or 9 months and have not experienced any problems. I do not baby it, and have worn it doing activities I probably shouldn't have. It has taken everything like a champ. The cloth over rubber strap gets dirty sometimes (sweat?), but everything has cleaned right off of it by washing with soap and water. It has been tough, light, and doesn't show any scratches or wear because of the material (including the clasp). Because of the weight it is very easy to wear all day every day.