Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:34 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
Hi guys,
It's been a while since I've posted. Hope you've all been well. I'm after a little advice.

I recently wound my Chronomat Longitude, screwed down the crown and then washed it under very gently flowing water. About an hour later i noticed moisture under the crystal. I had this watch serviced 14 months ago, so it is out of warranty. But i sent it in to Breitling hoping that they would repair it under good will. It is, after all, only two months out of warranty.

Today i received an estimate for a maintenance service of $320. In the estimate they said...

"Kindly note that your watch passed the Water Resistance Test in the Service Centre. They advice to ensure that the crown is locked and the pushers are not operated when in contact with water."

I know for certain that the crown was secure. I had just wound the watch in order to wash it and wear it. I had made doubly certain the crown was locked down, knowing i was about to place it under water. You guys know me; I've owned more than twenty Breitlings and been collecting for more than twenty years! I know how to screw down a crown, avoid depressing pushers and wash under gently flowing water.

I haven't yet made an answer to their email. Have you guys ever heard of a watch leaking and then passing a pressure test?
Greg

Last edited by Novacastrian on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:19 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 730 posts
If the temperature of the water was significantly cooler/warmer than that of the watch then that could cause condensation rather than there being an actual leak. This would disperse naturally over time. I have the same issue when bringing my cameras into a warm house from the cold. The lenses immediately fog up if removed from their cases without a period of acclimatisation. The answer may be to rinse under tepid water.

Citizen Eco Drive AT4000-02E (for gardening)
Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE

Helderberg likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:53 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Hey Zac, I've never heard of that! Thanks. The moisture didn't show immediately. I noticed it after about an hour of wearing the watch. In the morning it was gone but appeared again after I wore it for a while. Would all of that be consistent with your theory?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:58 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

I reckon so, especially if the watch was exposed to humidity when serviced, there would be some residual moisture in the watch. The act of rinsing the watch and then wearing it & warming it up again may have resulted in the condensation reforming. If it passed a pressure test and hasn't recurred since then I suspect that may well have been the cause.

Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:42 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Agreed, condensation across a temperature gradient caused by the warm water. In theory temperature changes could impact the gaskets causing a watch to leak and then pass a pressure test at 'normal' temperatures, but the numbers involved would be way more than you would get in a home water supply.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:49 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

So let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly: are you saying the watch mightn't have had water ingress but condensation of the moisture already contained in the air inside the watch? That would mean it wouldn't need a maintenance service, right? The techs have said it does need one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:09 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Yes, if moisture is present in the watch however it got there then a maintenance service is advisable. I would point out in your reply to Breitling that you have taken care not to compromise the water resistance by using the pushers or unscrewing the crown whilst in contact with water. Also, I would point out that one would expect the gaskets to last more than 14 months unless subjected to harsh conditions. It would be hard to prove the moisture was introduced during the last service but there may be some leeway for goodwill.

Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:21 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Thanks guys. Super helpful. I am positive that I had the crown screwed down and didn't depress the pushers. Those of us who've been around a while have seen too many mistakes by others not to take care ourselves. So what you're suggesting makes sense. I've emailed back something to the effect of what you have said, Zac. We'll see the result. Thanks again guys.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:47 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Well, i heard back from Breitling. I had said in my email...

"I am certain that the crown was securely screwed down and that the pushers were not depressed during washing. I had just wound the watch in order to wash it and wear it. I had made certain the crown was locked down, knowing i was about to place it under water. Having collected Breitlings for twenty years now (and owning ten of them), i am very familiar with the need to secure the crown."

Their response? An off- handed

"Mistakes could happen."

Nothing else regarding the cause of the leak; no consideration of other causes; just three dismissive words. I have to confess that i find that pretty a disappointing response. I'd be ok if i wasn't certain that i HAD screwed the crown down and that I HAD NOT depressed a pusher. But i am certain. Below is my reply but I don't expect much joy...

Thank you for your timely response. However I must say that i am disappointed with Breitling's customer service in this instance. In my previous email i said...

"I am certain that the crown was securely screwed down and that the pushers were not depressed during washing. I had just wound the watch in order to wash it and wear it. I had made certain the crown was locked down, knowing i was about to place it under water. Having collected Breitlings for twenty years now (and owning ten of them), i am very familiar with the need to secure the crown."

The response of your technician was an off- handed...

"Mistakes could happen."

I have two points to make regarding this response.

The first is that i believe it to be glib and unprofessional. It merely brushes aside the assertion of an experienced and, i had thought, valued customer. I believe my testimony has not been treated respectfully in this instance.

My second point is to contend that the 14 month old seal failed. It is not unheard of for seals to fail and then later pass a pressure test under different atmospheric conditions. While the seal may be two months out of warranty, fourteen months can in no way be considered reasonable performance.

As i said, i find myself disappointed with the customer service of a brand i have held in high esteem. Is this the standard of service that Breitling aspires to deliver?

I would ask you to reconsider in this matter. I believe the watch ought to be repaired by Breitling as a gesture of good will. I'm sorry to ruin your Friday afternoon and I look forward to your response.

Last edited by Novacastrian on Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arcam likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:57 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Not a favourable response from Breitling and I hope they reconsider but at the end of the day the cost of a maintenance service is a small price to pay to preserve the integrity of your watch. Good luck and keep us updated.

Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:15 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 36 posts
The response you received was nothing short of disgusting, for all reasons that would be arbitrary to mention. I'm sure this is the attitude of one individual and not the entire brand. He/she needs to be removed from the position where there is any chance of responding to customer emails.

Was this Breitling USA?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:43 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 80 posts
Yea, that response sounds like it was from one low level employee.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:39 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Hi guys. It was the technician at Breitling Australia.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:57 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

So in the end, no joy with Breitling at all. Despite my contention that the crown was secure they remain immovable: since the watch passed the pressure test I must be at fault. No other possible cause is considered; the customer is always wrong.

I have to say that I'm disappointed in their response: it's not about the money but the dismissive way of handling a customer base. Why not give a customer of twenty years the benefit of the doubt? I emailed them to go ahead but raised the question of establishing good will with a costumer. They had the chance to win me for life and have their praises sung on the forum. Instead they've most likely lost me and received some negative press here ( something I drew their attention to).

But anyway, so ends a pretty grotty experience.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:32 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Sorry you haven't received the response you deserve, I hope that at least they do a good job on your watch.

Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE