Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Rolex vs. Breitling
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:34 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
I'm sure this topic has come up before, but what's everyone's take on a Rolex vs. Breitling? Does Rolex or Breitling hold their value better? Quality wise and name standing, who's the "best" out of the two?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:57 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Hmmmm, this one has cropped up on here quite a few times before.

All I will say is that I've owned a lot of watches over the years (including one Rolex) and at the end of it all, I am most definitely a Breitling man through and through!

Yes Rolex will hold their value more, and yes they have in-house movements etc, etc, but nothing moves me like a Breitling does.

It's horses for courses.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:31 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I have never owned a Rolex, and don't see myself owning one - but only for one simple reason - they don't have a style that I like. I think that Breitling and Rolex are comparable, although the resale market clearly values Rolex higher.

I would like to see in house movements in Breitlings, but understand that requires a significant R&D investment that is ultimately passed along to consumers. However the lack of an in house movement is a mark against Breitlings.

I have been fortunate enough to be able to expand my collection quite rapidly and am now moving beyond just Breitlings, but Rolexes just don't do it for me.

If I was only buying as an investment Rolex is obviously better than Breitling, but there are any number of brands better than Rolex - and if I were looking for investment jewellery I would buy diamonds anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:46 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

I just think that "better" is such a subjective word.

As we all know a £5 quartz may keep "better" time than a £50,000 auto..... A 1litre Fiat may have "better" fuel economy than a BMW M5....

Which is the better object?

It all boils down to what you like and what is important to you as a person. For me, Breitling offers me everything that I want in a watch. Yes some other brands may be more exclusive/more expensive/more well-know/better finished, etc, etc, but Breitling just does it for me in a way that Rolex doesn't.

In contrast I also like some Zeniths, a couple of Carl Bucherer's, Richard Mille, etc, but Rolex don't currently make anything that I feel I need.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:14 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Roffensian wrote:
I have never owned a Rolex, and don't see myself owning one - but only for one simple reason - they don't have a style that I like. I think that Breitling and Rolex are comparable, although the resale market clearly values Rolex higher.

I would like to see in house movements in Breitlings, but understand that requires a significant R&D investment that is ultimately passed along to consumers. However the lack of an in house movement is a mark against Breitlings.

I have been fortunate enough to be able to expand my collection quite rapidly and am now moving beyond just Breitlings, but Rolexes just don't do it for me.

If I was only buying as an investment Rolex is obviously better than Breitling, but there are any number of brands better than Rolex - and if I were looking for investment jewellery I would buy diamonds anyway.

I think there is nothing wrong with Rolex as a watch. It has more patents and prices than any other watch. Their presence in the world is incredible so you can take off your rollie and turn it into good cash if you find yourself in trouble in Tanganyika or you name it. But, it can be uninteresting to wear for some - at least for me -

About investing in diamonds - I'm sure you mean uncut - I would be really careful. Diamonds are easy to buy but difficult to sell unless one is already an established diamond merchant, and synthetic ones are difficult to detect even for the trained eye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:49 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
I agree with some of the statements already made. I see Rolex and Breitling as equals, maybe the Rolex has an advantage due to their own movement. As for resale value, Rolex loses less than Breitling (due to well performed market penetration as I see it).

However, Breitling is my watch, Rolex doesn't get me going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:13 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I feel more than qualified to give my opinion on the neverending "Rolex vs Breitling" argument. For thirty years I was a Rolex man, through and through. In 1978, I bought my first Oyster, an Air King. Over the next twenty years, I owned two Datejusts, Three Submariners, One GMT-Master, and two Explorer IIs

In my mind there was nothing that could touch a Rolex in quality, ruggedness, value -- you name it. I continued to believe that until the day a few years ago when I visited my first Breitling dealership. I walked into the AD wearing an Explorer II; I left with a white-dialled Evo on my wrist. It was the styling that Breitling offered, the massiveness, the size that sold me. The quality of the bracelet was another factor. The finish was easily the equal of Rolex. And the case, in my opinion, was clearly superior to the Rolex Oyster.

Rolex's vaunted inhouse movements are their strongest points. There's no getting around that fact. BUT... Breitling's movements have proven to me (I now also own a Steelfish and will soon pick up my Skyland) that they are just as rugged, just as reliable -- all they're lacking is the legend.

Well, I've worn the legend for decades, and I've got to tell you, it's a little overrated. On two of my Oysters the mainspring broke within two years.
That has not happened with my Lings. Breitling will match Rolex model for
model where it's most important -- on your wrist. Buy one and you will
see for yourself.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:24 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Great topic, one I've had with the guys at work many times. Like some of you, I haven't had that experience of "wow" I have to have that Rolex. They're great watches, and a lot of them are out there, but I'd rather be the guy wearing something unique, that no one else has or it's possession is limited, such as my Limited Edition Avenger Skyland Blacksteel. I march to the beat of another drummer, need I say more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:14 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

It's great to see all the positive feedback and I enjoy everyone's input! Keep it coming! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:06 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I generally don't like Rolex, but of course in terms of brand recognition it isn't even a contest. Most people who aren't into watches have never even heard of Breitling. As was mentioned, "better" is a relative term. Some people think Breitling is too big, too flashy, too gaudy and so on. Some people think Rolex is tired and old-fashioned, that the quality has dropped, and most everyone hates the fact they don't discount.

Style wise they are so different that I'm surprised there are fans of both brands. I typically think of wearers of one as completely different people from wearers of the other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:13 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I own both a Breitling and a Rolex and love them both, whenever I put either on my wrist I just get that pleasure of wearing a quality watch, I dont think "Oh I think I will wear such and such a watch" because it is the more special, they are both special.

Dave (Tyke)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:55 am 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

Of course you are going to get biased opinions on a site dedicated to B's. That said though, there is a reason we are all part of this site. Ill go out ona limb, and assume that just about every B owner here, could have bought a rollie instead if they wanted to. I bought mine, simply because I see rolex as a geezer watch, that doesnt appeal to me at all. I just find them small and plain looking--but apparently a lot of people are looking for just that. The in-house movement is a big plus, but im more than happy with the level of engineering that goes into finishing a B movement. I would imagine that moving B's to in-house, would add like 2 grand to each watch, which is something that I dont think id be willing to pay....well...maybe I would....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:40 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

It is perceivable that in the future Breitling might attempt its own movements. But I think we should also be aware of the fact that Breitling modified the out-house movement quite a bit, if not extensively...somewhat makes it unique in a sense.....

Initially I was hesitant between a Navitimer or a Sea-dweller....
Breitling own me. ...for its

Styling....we all know that Rolex faces are smallers........and make a huge deal out of their choronograph Daytonas.....which is not that aesthetically appealing in my opinion....

Regardless of my particular watch, the navitimer, even if it is not waterproof....I'd be much happy flying with it on my wrist than a submariner....with no chronograph....no navigation computer......

I cannot overemphasize how nice the bracelet is...
the overall package is just awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:17 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

The fact that these discussions come up time and again is simply a testament to the power of the Rolex brand.

I can well imagine the same kind of discussions happening on a Panerai site ("Which is better, a Rolex or a Panerai?") or on a Zenith site ("Which is better, a Rolex or a Zenith?"). It's always a comparison of something-or-other to Rolex.

Whatever you opinion of Rolex (and it's well documented on here that I'm personally not a massive fan), you can't fault them for their achievement in driving the prestige watch world (which, lets face it, is quite a niche field) into the greater public consciousness. Everybody knows the Rolex name and they are still, rightly or wrongly, seen as the benchmark to beat.

Site Moderator

Post subject: UGGH!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:38 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Your on a Breitling specific site, c'mon, don't you think opinions will be biased here?

ad nauseum