Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Avenger Review
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:00 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Hello everyone, this is my review on the Avenger. I recently ordered this watch and it arrived at my AD on 01/28/11. I had never seen an Avenger in the flesh before it was in my hands last Friday so it was interesting to see it on my wrist versus on the internet.

First, of course, the technical information:

Caliber – Breitling 13
Chronograph – ¼ second, 30 minutes, 12 hours
Vibration – 28,800 v.p.h.
Water resistance – 300m (1000ft)
Diameter – 45.4 mm
Thickness – 17.4 mm
Weight – 144.3 grams (head only)

Starting off I will say I chose the Avenger over the Super Avenger (SA) primarily due to my wrist size. My wrists are about 6.5” and I took everyone’s advice here at BreitlingSource and decided the SA would be way too big. I already have a SuperOcean which is at 42mm and it is not too big or too small. I knew the Avenger is 3.4 mm larger than the SO but it is kind of hard to imagine how much bigger it will actually look sitting on the wrist. I was all in favor for a bigger piece than the SO and there was a slight worry in me that it would not be as big as I wanted. I was wrong.

When my AD handed the Avenger over to me with all the links in the bracelet, nothing could have prepared for the weight of this thing! The first words I uttered were, “Wow it’s heavy.” The Avenger looked beautiful in all its polished stainless steel glory. It is definitely an eye catcher but not over the top (I would imagine the SA would be).

Another thing that surprised me was the thickness of the case, which I assume is due to the chronograph function of the movement. One reason I believe this watch such great wrist presence is due to its thickness. The case protrudes off of the wrist, and I have learned that doing simple tasks like putting dishes in the dishwasher and laundry can put it at risk of dings and scratches. I know getting scratches on this watch is inevitable, but it’s not even a week old at this point and I would like to keep it looking pristine for a little longer.

Thickness comparison: Avenger vs SO

The bracelet is very comfortable for me and classic looking. The links are not too long, thus it allows for a good wrap around the wrist. The buckle or clasp is very sturdy and simple looking.

(Sorry for the smudges)

I am a fan of busy dials (next purchase might be a Navi World). I absolutely love the look of this dial and the polished steel accents. The Avenger was recently updated and has polished numbers versus white numbers that were on the Avenger Skyland. From what I see in pictures on the internet, the numbers on the AS were highly visible, so I was interested to know if the Avenger would be difficult to tell time in dimly lit places due to its reliance on the polished numbers. I must say this is not a problem at all. For whatever reason the dial seems to pick up any light available and it is very easy to read in dim situations.

I also love the texture on the sub dials. When the light catches the subs just right it looks as if there are little white lines in them. It almost gives the watch a different feel.

I thing I was surprisingly disappointed in is the lack of sensitivity of the lume on this watch. My SO will glow green when little light is applied to it; with the Avenger the only way to activate the lume is to stick next to a light bulb for 30 seconds. Maybe the SO has such great lume because it’s a dive watch? Either way it doesn’t bother me at all, I have hardly ever been in a situation where I needed to rely on my watch lume for the time.

One thing I will say about the movement is that it is loud compared to my SO. I'm not talking about the ticking seconds hand, but the winding mechanism is audible. I find this to be cool because, to me, it reminds me that this little machine on my wrist is working away!

Overall, this watch is a beauty. I cannot stop looking at it and I am not disappointed about the purchase. In fact, I think pictures on the internet do not do it justice at all, to appreciate this piece you need to see it in person. You can tell all materials used on this watch are top notch and it is extremely well made. It behooves all of you to give the Avenger a look for your next purchase.

Thanks for reading!

Corum Admiral's Cup
Rolex Sub

Post subject: Re: Avenger Review
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:16 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 2 posts
Many Congratulations on this stunning Avenger.

Thanks for the great review with the very impressive pictures. Although, as you rightly say, pictures can never do this watch justice.

Please visit my Watch Blog at http://www.AndrewMichaels.co.uk

******Our new Pre-owned watch site www.amjwatches.co.uk is now live*****

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:04 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 1 post
thanks for the review and congrats on one beautiful timepiece. its funny what you said about the lume, i have the seawolf and thought the same thing, seeing how it is a dive watch i was quite suprised at the lack of lume! but thats its only flaw imo. steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:23 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Thanks for sharing your review. The heavily modified 7750 winds uni-directionally and the rotoer does whirl loud.

How do you find the polished SS? Finger print magnet? I haven't looked at Breitling's offering for a while, but do they offer the Skyland in Titanium at all?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:53 pm 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
Not sure how I missed this, but congrats and nice review. No doubt the 7750 movement does whirl when the rotor freewheels opposite the direction it winds. I appreciate that movement as a workhorse that has long since had the bugs and gremlins worked out.

Congrats again, it's a keeper for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:58 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Thanks sharkman. I appreciate the kind words.

roadcarver wrote:
Thanks for sharing your review. The heavily modified 7750 winds uni-directionally and the rotoer does whirl loud.

How do you find the polished SS? Finger print magnet? I haven't looked at Breitling's offering for a while, but do they offer the Skyland in Titanium at all?

Yeah the SS attracts finger prints but unless you are looking at the bracelet/case for prints you obviously aren't going to notice them. It shines nicely in the sun too! Just breathing on the watch and polishing it with your shirt does a nice job cleaning it up. Definitely an eye catcher. The weather is starting to get warmer and I get to wear the watch with short sleeves now!

Corum Admiral's Cup
Rolex Sub

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:31 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 3 posts
love the read thanks for your efforts :bow: i love coming here ( breitlingsource ) its just like a book with pictures

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:10 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 4 posts
ricardo wrote:
Although, as you rightly say, pictures can never do this watch justice.

:yeahthat

Thank God it's not one of the victims of the discontinued models.

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:37 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Great review. I have had my Avenger for about a year now and I still love it. It does have quite a bit of scratches on the bracelet however and I think I will bring it in to the AD I purchased it at for a polish. Does anyone know how much that costs and if it comes back looking like new?
Thanks!

Post subject: Avenger Review
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:36 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Not sure on price but Comes back lookin great. Just make sure they are careful not to polish too much and mess with any of the detail or edging. I have the Avenger with the gray face and love it. I bought it 2nd after my Navi World, which I wanted since I started looking at Breitlings and now find my self wearing the avenger almost every day.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:50 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Very nice review...I am thinking of picking one up myself. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:20 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Very nice watch and excellent review, I'm new to Breitling and bought my first one last month, a chrono super ocean with black face, silver sub dials and a pro 2 bracelet. Like you, I think these are beautiful timepieces although I'm guilty of babying mine as it's my first and I want to keep it looking great. That said, I hate leaving it sitting in the box but for now I will when I go to work and just wear it at evenings and on my days off. Yesterday I bought a Seawolf which I'll wear for work, I guess that although I'm new to the brand it hasn't taken me long to get hooked and if I hadn't bought my CSO your beauty is the one I would go for. Enjoy it my friend, it's a beauty

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:12 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Hello,
I own a Superocen Steelfish and I just ordered the new Avenger, too.
I am mdly in love with that watch, but I just red that the movement is AUDIBLE.

Hopefully someone can nswer this qustion for me... I always thought that "the more sound...the worse the qulity of the movement"
Somebody must have told me that and... my father has a 10 yo speedmaster that makes a lot more noise than my SO (you cnnot hear anything with the steelfish relly so...) I just figured that modern movements like the one on the Steelfish were "better".
Can somebody tell me whether this is true... Is the movement in the Avenger as good as the one in the SO steelfish?

Thank you! :)

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:24 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
The 7750 based caliber 13 is a noisy movement, it's got nothing to do with quality. Both watches have highest grade modified ETA movement.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:42 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Verry nice watch! I own a Steelfish and I am thinking about buying a Skyland. Love it.