Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mechanical vs. Quartz
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:10 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Which one holds better time? Or is this one of those since the dinosaurs debatable questions with no right answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Typically, quartz watches are more accurate than mechanical watches, but this is not always the case... its a very general statement. It usually depends on the quartz and mechanical watches being compared!

That's a great idea for an article on the site tho. i think im going to write one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:20 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I was just wondering because my mom had one of her clients come in wearing a B and my mom noticed it and started to find out that she was some watch conessiour. She had said that quartz hold better time but I didn't really believe it. Seemed to general of a statement. Like the Tourbillion movement I would think no where near compares to a quartz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:54 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

A good quartz movement will hold better time than ANY mechanical movement, even a $300,000 tourbillon.
The reason is because generally a mechanical movement will have about 28,800 frequencies of oscillations(4Hz) per hour. Allowing a variation of less than 10 seconds a day.
Quartz watches are extremely accurate thanks to their high frequency of vibrations (32 kHz). Their daily variation is equivalent to much less than a second per day.

Hope this makes sense to you... :?

Vanessa

Post subject: Old vs. New
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:00 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Watchmakeress wrote:
A good quartz movement will hold better time than ANY mechanical movement, even a $300,000 tourbillon.
The reason is because generally a mechanical movement will have about 28,800 frequencies of oscillations(4Hz) per hour. Allowing a variation of less than 10 seconds a day.
Quartz watches are extremely accurate thanks to their high frequency of vibrations (32 kHz). Their daily variation is equivalent to much less than a second per day.

Vanessa

So it only goes to show that our passion for mechanical watches is purely for sentimental reasons for the love of the old craftsmanship & tradition of watchmaking and not really for the innovation in technical advancement even if it means accuracy. I wonder why that didn't work with the abacus vs. the calculator. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe the abacus didn't survive, but the slide rule did, and its on the Navitimers!

Noticed you mentioned your Dual 701 turntable... in audiophile circles, Turntables really are king... you can spend $50,000 or even more on a turntable... but you can't find a CD player that will cost you that much I don't htink.. $20,000 maybe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:42 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Watchmakeress wrote:
28,800 frequencies of oscillations(4Hz) per hour.

I was just wondering about the math...could someone clear this up for me please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:51 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

breitlingsource wrote:
... in audiophile circles, Turntables really are king... you can spend $50,000 or even more on a turntable... but you can't find a CD player that will cost you that much I don't htink.. $20,000 maybe.

Very true!! I'm just looking at a phono cartridge right now at $8,500!!! A Koetsu Bloodstone Platinum: Just a freakin' phono cartridge! Could you believe it?? I'd rather get two Breitlings for that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah.. No Koetsus for me! I've run a few carts in my time.. the last two are a Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo 3, and a Grado Prestige Gold.

sportback..
28,000 vibrations per hour

28,800/60 = 480 v/ minute

480/60 = 8 v/second

That means that 8 tiny ticks is how much the second hand moves in one second.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:10 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Yup - I was getting 8hz too - just nit-picking!!

I realise this isn't really the place, but I've still got my Technics SL1700 Direct Drive - can't actually remember what cartidge - pretty sure it's a Shure...(pun intended!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We can talk turntables int he off-topic forum ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:58 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I love both mechanical and quartz...but for entirely different reasons (if you exclude telling the time! :lol: ) the tickers are a lovely pieces of miniature engineering with decades of tradition behind them, the whizzers are amazing for the technology that enables them to remain so accurate through thick and thin.....and the functionality of the multi function versions makes them indespensible as a true tool watch.

Theres rooms for all......just need a deeper wallet and a bigger watch box :wink:

Best regards David

Post subject: Re: Old vs. New
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:57 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

nonggadin wrote:
Watchmakeress wrote:

Vanessa

So it only goes to show that our passion for mechanical watches is purely for sentimental reasons for the love of the old craftsmanship & tradition of watchmaking and not really for the innovation in technical advancement even if it means accuracy. I wonder why that didn't work with the abacus vs. the calculator. :D

Something else to keep in mind or at least for me is the fact that you mechanical watch will have an endless supply of energy. Just winder them up and away you go. Its not too far fetched to say 100 years from now my great grand kids will still be able to enjoy my mechanical watch seeing that the power principle remains the same. I'm not sure if a quartz watch manufactured today will have batteries available for them 100 years from now.
:?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:10 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Who said anything about giving my watches to my kids? :lol:

I bought them a couple each while at Uni.....my son hardly ever wears his (Poljot Chronograph, Omega Dynamic Date, Seiko Kinetic). The money sponge....er sorry I mean my daughter lost one (Seiko Kinetic) whilst inspecting a heifers rear end ( I imagine its still keeping great time in there! :lol: ) and the other was damaged whilst shooting!

So if you think I am letting my babies be passed onto my babies, think again :lol:

Best regards David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

yeah its nice that my watch will last 100 years, but it's not like Patek's slogan "You never really own a Patek Phillipe, you merely take care of it for the next generation" or whatever they say.... I get bored and need new ones all the time!