The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:52 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
What watches out of SIHH are you considering picking up? Or at least really like?

Personally, I am considering Code 11:59 regardless of the silly name, then again it might be wise to wait for the steel models. Undecided but leaning towards picking up an RG chrono and letting the ROO Black Themes go to a new home.

The Freak is also a real possibility, I have one on order and by the time my AD confirms the price I would have decided. It would mean selling one or two of my current watches unfortunately, the Breitling Transocean LE might be it, a very dificult decision as I love that piece

The IWC Bronze Pilot Chrono is a must and on order, this one is coming from the watch fund for the year.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:22 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 49 posts
SIHH isn’t really my watch wheelhouse but the IWC spitfire pilot models really do it for me.

When I saw the Breitling Navi 8 releases came out, I thought they would compete against the IWC Mark XVIII and Pilot Chrono. Now that IWC has put in-house movements in watches at the price point of Breitling’s non-in-house Navi 8’s, I think IWC has the edge. They also downsized the chrono to 41mm.

Kudos to IWC, I don’t think I’ll pull the trigger but I look forward to seeing how the market responds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:57 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
I also think the freak is a really cool watch and would love to see one of those in person. I don't really know much about it yet, and would love to read more, but it looks like a very unique watch. I don't think I would be in the market for one anytime soon but I like it!

The one watch that I'm really excited about is the AP Royal Oak 38 mm Chrono with the silver dial and blue Subs. I really wanted the panda Royal Oak but when I tried it on the shape of the integrated bracelet made the watch too big for my wrist. But at 38mm it might fit perfectly. But even though I think it's a beautiful watch, I won't buy this version because I would hope that the new more modern movement in the 1159 would make its way into the Royal Oak in the near future. So I'm going to hold out in hopes for a 38 mm version with a display back with the new 1159 movement.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:37 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
There really wasn't anything that was released that I'd be rushing out to buy. Probably the only thing I'd consider buying would be the blue Santos but I can't see that happening anytime soon. Don't get me wrong, there were some great watches introduced, but most were well out of my price range.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:41 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
mwheatley wrote:
Now that IWC has put in-house movements in watches at the price point of Breitling’s non-in-house Navi 8’s, I think IWC has the edge.

So -- other than being "in-house", are there any real improvements in the IWC movements? Power reserve seems to be roughly the same. I haven't studied this carefully, but am wondering whether the new IWC movements are more about marketing than performance.

If I were in the market for that kind of watch, I think I would consider Bremont over IWC.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:43 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

As far as SIHH goes, the new Freak is the standout for me. Really an amazing watch at that price point -- much more interesting to me than some of the usual suspects from AP, VC, PP.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:45 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
jnelson3097 wrote:
There really wasn't anything that was released that I'd be rushing out to buy... ...Don't get me wrong, there were some great watches introduced, but most were well out of my price range.

:yeahthat The nicest stuff is all stratospherically priced, and there was nothing even close to my price range that I'd go for.

For me JLC were probably the standout, it was "business as usual" for IWC and ALS (which isn't a bad thing at all), and AP (the Code 11:59) and Panerai (pretty much everything this year!) were probably the most disappointing for me.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:38 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
Altair wrote:
The Freak is also a real possibility, I have one on order and by the time my AD confirms the price I would have decided. It would mean selling one or two of my current watches unfortunately, the Breitling Transocean LE might be it, a very dificult decision as I love that piece.

Funnily enough I tried on a Freak last week while I was checking out IWC at a local AD. It was pre-owned at a lazy $75K if anyone is interested. I thought it was a fantastic watch; the perfect size for me albeit it was really thick.

Moana43 wrote:
If I were in the market for that kind of watch, I think I would consider Bremont over IWC.

I've always been undecided about Bremont. I think they're nice looking watches on the main with decent movements and cases but I always thought they were overpriced. Given the current softness in the secondary market; you have to wonder. Another AD I went to last week had nearly the entire range at 35% off new if you're interested. I would say that IWC overall is better quality for me and has better brand value but it's probably not by a great deal.

To the main question: I'm not sure. I will check out the new IWC's when they are released along with some of the other offerings but most were either out of my price range or not the right style.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:31 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Dammit, I just noticed the IWC was 41MM, for a sport watch? Anyone else noticing how all the brands are releasing smaller and smaller pieces? Not a good trend IMO for sport watches!

That drops the IWC, and with my other incoming pieces the AP is out, Freak is a maybe now as I read over at timezone that they probabely will introduce a bridge piece next year between the entry X and the super expensive Vision. I really hope that has the bezel control of the originals.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:24 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 22 posts
Iwc and bremont are poles apart. Iwc being significantly higher end than bremont.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:51 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Tim S wrote:
Altair wrote:
The Freak is also a real possibility, I have one on order and by the time my AD confirms the price I would have decided. It would mean selling one or two of my current watches unfortunately, the Breitling Transocean LE might be it, a very dificult decision as I love that piece.

Funnily enough I tried on a Freak last week while I was checking out IWC at a local AD. It was pre-owned at a lazy $75K if anyone is interested. I thought it was a fantastic watch; the perfect size for me albeit it was really thick.

Moana43 wrote:

I've always been undecided about Bremont. I think they're nice looking watches on the main with decent movements and cases but I always thought they were overpriced. Given the current softness in the secondary market; you have to wonder. Another AD I went to last week had nearly the entire range at 35% off new if you're interested. I would say that IWC overall is better quality for me and has better brand value but it's probably not by a great deal.

To the main question: I'm not sure. I will check out the new IWC's when they are released along with some of the other offerings but most were either out of my price range or not the right style.

The problem with Bremont is that they have priced themselves out of the market. I have no idea how they are still in business! I remember passing by their boutique in London and it was chock full of watches with zero customers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:18 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

alex** wrote:
Iwc and bremont are poles apart. Iwc being significantly higher end than bremont.

Not at all — not when it comes to IWC’s low-end pilot watches.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:29 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Altair wrote:
The problem with Bremont is that they have priced themselves out of the market. I have no idea how they are still in business! I remember passing by their boutique in London and it was chock full of watches with zero customers.

Something that could be said for any number of boutiques on any given day... :wink:

In any event, Bremont’s pricing is quite in keeping with modified ETA pricing from brands like IWC and Breitling, for example.

I recently paid a visit to Bremont’s NYC boutique and was quite impressed with their offerings. In that particular market segment, I think they make a very solid watch.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:43 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 22 posts
Moana43 wrote:
alex** wrote:

Not at all — not when it comes to IWC’s low-end pilot watches.

agree to disagree, IWC may have some eta based stuff but their in house movements and level of complications puts them in a much higher category than Bremont

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:49 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I would also say that not all eta modifications are equal. Some completely rebuild the movements to an extent they are not recognizable, while others decorate the visible portions slightly and call it a day. Bremont, as far as I know, have no rel watchmaking capabilities to speak of. Didn't they also claim to make their own movement and it turned out to be less than honest advertising? I remember a big fuss over that.

The store I was talking about was in an area filled with other boutiques, all where busy except theirs to the level it drew my attention. Shame, I really do wish them luck. I like the fact that we can buy watches from different countries other than Switzerland, diversity in geography would give us watch enthusiasts a larger spectrum to choose from, and I am all for diversity. Her Majesty's Kingdom had a great history in early watchmaking which has not existed in a long time.

Bremont will have to do some major changes if they want to attract a bigger portion of consumers, either introducing an entirely new lineup with much lower prices or investing in better movements and case finishing. Just my opinion at the end of the day.

Last edited by Altair on Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.