It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Watch insurance
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:16 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 4 posts
Greetings all.

This has probably been raised a few times but I'm wondering where you chaps insure your watches.

I've had a quote from assetsure and they have a good policy but they expect me to pay a 7% excess on by Navitimer Fighters if it is lost or stolen.

Now I've valued the watch at around £7k due to the fact that if it was lost or stolen if need to buy a new Navitimer and the one I'd replace it with is circa £7k.

They do have a watch finding service where a team will do their best to find the same watch however I either want mine or a new one, not someone else's.

Any good companies out there that will insure a watch of this value and age?

I've got my super ocean and the wife's Galactic insured with Protect your bubble but as the Nav is over 5 years old, they won't insure it. My Nav and her Omega are currently on the house insurance.

Open to the floor....

Dan.

Post subject: Re: Watch insurance
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:10 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 17 posts
Knowing what country you live in will help with my response. I have experience in the US and UK with this topic.

Navitimer 01- Limited Edition #1337/2000

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:09 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Sorry. Live in the U.K.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:03 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 17 posts
Scrounger wrote:
Sorry. Live in the U.K.

If you can believe it, my home contents insurance through M&S Finance was enough to cover my watches. If my house burned down, the total coverage was enough for me to replace them. If I was walking through the airport and someone took things out of my backpack, it covered up to £15k in a single incident, so this was enough to cover my two Breitlings. I found this policy on one of those comparison websites and it was the cheapest, like £200 a year or something. I never had to file a claim, so I can't say if M&S stands behind its policies or not.

The issue has always been with my wife's engagement ring. It's of fairly significant value and no normal insurer in the UK would touch it, so I've always had to have a separate policy just for it, which was irritating and expensive.

About a year ago I found a broker called Highworth's. They were happy and able to procure a single home contents policy that included by watches AND my wife's ring under one roof. I also got great terms on the ring, as it would be replaced no questions asked. Previously, it had to be stolen out of a safe or off of my wife's finger at gun point in order to be covered. The price of the policy I have now is about in line with what I was paying for two separate policies.

So far, Highworth's has been the best broker I've found in the UK. I don't think they'll just do watches; I think you have to take out a home policy as well. Their customer service is exceptional and I feel much more confident if I have to file a claim (as opposed to M&S).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navitimer 01- Limited Edition #1337/2000

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:47 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Many thanks. Er in doors deals with the house insurance so I'll get her into it.