The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:37 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 7 posts
Maybe its just me, but i believe a lot of people have weird reasons for their attraction towards certain brands or models of watches

I think one of the worst is strictly because of how well known a certain brand/model of watch is

For example, just about everybody knows of Rolex, furthermore if they know anything about watches, they probably know about the Submariner and GMT Master II models, and for many thats probably enough to want one, especially combined with the "Status Symbol" Aspect of the brand

Another motive i feel some people have is wanting a certain model of a certain brand for that brands history of making that type of watch, for example, an Omega or Rolex dive watch, they may not even consider that type of watch from a brand known gor a different type of watch

And another thing is, it seems a watch with a bold design is threatening to some people, as if Bold and Beautiful cant go hand in hand with a watch; so instead they desire some understated watch that doesn't look like much of anything.

To me, these aren't real reasons and such thinking can lead them to look past many good watches

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:39 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 844 posts
I got hooked on the super avenger because of its large presence and it makes a statement. Love the look of it and I always loved the breitling brand, don't get me wrong I love my navi GMT, unitime and world but I wear my SAs a lot more.

1 Super avenger night mission
1 Limited edition chronomat Boston Celtics
Navitimer GMT
Transocean Chronograph Unitime
2 Omega planet ocean chronographs
1 Tag heuer Monaco

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:08 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
Great topic and gotta agree with all the points in the OP.

Well I have my own sequence of choosing a watch. For eg, how I ended up with Chronomat 01 LE as my first watch:

-Type of watch: I wanted a Chronograph watch as my grail as chronograph is my favorite complication. Also this watch gotta be an all rounded watch that goes with anything on land, air and sea.

-Brand: Breitling ended up as my top choice as they have significant contributions and reputation in the area of chronographs(eg, the invention of the 2 pushpieces that eventually lead to the modern chronograph look that are "copied" by all other brands today). Even though some may debate that the current Breitling is different from the original Breitling, due to different owners/management and Ernst Schneider was just simply buying the name over, it's still the same company to me. Well, we still see continuation and evolution of old models like the Navitimer and we still see the key culture of the brand that is still closely tied to aviation. In fact I personally prefer the modern Breitlings than the older ones.
Breitlings generally has a technical instrumental look that I don't see in other brands. I don't like watches that are overly generic in appearance and Breitlings look unique and pro IMO without being over the top.

-Model: I prefer models that are icons or star models of the brand because they are normally best representations of the spirit of the brand. Also the movement gotta be in-house. That zooms down my choices to the Chronomat 01 and Navitimer 01. No doubt Breitling is famous for its ties with aviation, the ultimate spirit/goal of Breitling is to "concur" in all areas(land, air, sea). Navitimer fails in this aspect(sea) and that leaves me with the Chronomat 01. It has the classy look with the sleek curvy outer case but transforms into a forceful look with a contrasting geometry as light plays over it. It has all the useful features that I would use and can go with anything and anywhere. It also has the iconic look that would allow me to recognize it immediately.

Version: Black and red combo is my favorite. I gotta have a transparent caseback to see my favorite movement and it seems that the LE is the best option, especially when people having the exact watch would be limited to a certain quantity and that there would be a LE number of every piece making it the "one and only" in the world. However I don't like LEs that are tied to a person/team. Therefore Chronomat 01 LE ended up as my perfect ultimate choice. Limited edition of the first in-house model. It does not have a long history, but it is the history in time to come. It is all rounded that goes with anything and anywhere. It has great attention to the smallest details that I don't see in other watches so far. Although 2000 pieces is not very limited but this quantity in the whole world is limited enough for me not to see it physically on other wrists so far.

Brand, history/contribution, aesthetics, versatility, identity, rarity are all the factors that I take into consideration to determine the watch that I want. The only factor that I do not take into consideration is resale value. I personally feel that the more factors that the watch fits into my criteria, the least chances of me getting tired of the watch. As OP mentioned, there are so many good watches out there, so more factors should be taken into consideration to find yr dream watch.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:44 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
People buy "expensive" watches for a variety of different reasons, but by far the most common amongst non-WIS people in my experience is that they have a bit of cash and want something that represents something to them in terms of image and the investment they've made. And inevitably, 9 times out of 10 this draws them to Rolex in the first instance simply because of the brand strength and recognition. Rolex has history (although admittedly not as long as some), and their watches have been worn by some iconic people over the years, but to the "layman" (and I don't use that in a derogatory sense) Rolex are simply "the best watch in the world" because they have an incredibly well managed brand image, everybody knows them, plus they are (relatively speaking) expensive.....so that makes them the best, right? :D Things like 904L steel, or in-house movements mean absolutely nothing to 90% of prestige watch buyers. There are several Submariners on guy's wrists in my office, and to a man, not one of them knows anything about watches other than "it's a Rolex". From a WIS perspective it's a shame that some of these guys are missing out of some great alternatives.... but the fact is, most people honestly don't care, and I'm absolutely fine with that.

Of course, us WIS-folk buy Rolex too as they're fine watches (I've owned 2 myself and potentially looking for a 3rd), but I like to think I'm personally buying for more than just the name.

It's kind of like cars - when people have a little bit more cash than usual to spend on a car they may gravitate to something like a BMW, a Mercedes, or an Audi.....often for no other reason than they are perceived as prestige brands, without considering any other factors. But let's not forget that these brands, and of course Rolex, didn't get to the position they're in by making a poor product. No, Rolex make very nice quality watches, so if non-WIS people are drawn to them, then they are getting a decent item for the money.....and as I said above, most of them care only about the image and/or the brand name.

Another example was the Omega SMP. For years it was probably the most common prestige watch seen on wrists the western-world-over. And why was that? Goldeneye and Pierce Brosnan's James Bond. Yes of course it was also a very classic, well styled and well built watch (plus being expensive enough, but not excessively so), but it's rise to world domination was driven by the James Bond renaissance of Goldeneye, and the image it therefore portrayed. Again, as with Rolex, the SMP delivered in terms of quality of product, so the groundswell continued, but with the general public it's success came from Bond, and the fact that owning an SMP would somehow make some of Bond's charisma and style rub off on you. (And yes I've owned 3 SMP's over the years! :lol: )

Another example is a friend of mine at work was recently looking to spend around £3k on a watch, and I was suggesting various brands he could try (both pre-owned and new) - Tudor, Omega, Breitling, Panerai - but in the end he went for a massive, fully polished Oris. Not a bad watch by any stretch, but he could've done better for the money (IMO), but he said all that was important to him was wrist presence. Nothing else. And he's a very well educated guy : it's simply that watches don't interest him enough for him to look past the aesthetics.... and what he wanted was something "big and shiny by a decent recognisable brand, that will last". Not necessarily a bad reason to buy a watch at all, but to him that was absolutely all he was looking for, so it's not for me to say he's wrong to do that. It's each to their own. (It made me laugh though when I showed him a Panerai, and he just looked and said, "Nah, never heard of them"! :lol: )

At the other end of the same scale you get people who will buy almost anything (almost irrespective of the look), if it's expensive enough....and therefore perceived as making them look rich and/or successful. Why else would that truly hideous $1.8m sapphire crystal monstrosity made by Richard Mille (the RM 056) ever sell otherwise?! :wink: If it was made of plastic (and not just LOOKING like it's made of plastic), I'm pretty sure no-one would like it.....but no, it's $1.8m so to some people it's the greatest thing ever. (And I'm just talking about aesthetics here, not the engineering which is undoubtedly top notch).

Essentially people buy watches (like they buy any item) for a variety of reasons. No particular reason is more right or more wrong than any other. It's like anything in life - the more you get into a topic, the more your eyes are opened to other options, but that's entirely up to the individual. If you aren't THAT interested in a subject, but still want to be part of it, you will only ever follow the crowd for fear of making a (potentially expensive) mistake due to a lack of knowledge.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:09 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 27 posts
My guess is most people who acquire luxury watches buy them as jewelry. For that reason, certain criterias come into the equation - image, status symbol, reputation - before other less important factors - history of the brand, intrinsec quality, know-how, properties and functions of the timepiece itself.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:55 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 7 posts
Driver8 wrote:
People buy "expensive" watches for a variety of different reasons, but by far the most common amongst non-WIS people in my experience is that they have a bit of cash and want something that represents something to them in terms of image and the investment they've made. And inevitably, 9 times out of 10 this draws them to Rolex in the first instance simply because of the brand strength and recognition. Rolex has history (although admittedly not as long as some), and their watches have been worn by some iconic people over the years, but to the "layman" (and I don't use that in a derogatory sense) Rolex are simply "the best watch in the world" because they have an incredibly well managed brand image, everybody knows them, plus they are (relatively speaking) expensive.....so that makes them the best, right? :D Things like 904L steel, or in-house movements mean absolutely nothing to 90% of prestige watch buyers. There are several Submariners on guy's wrists in my office, and to a man, not one of them knows anything about watches other than "it's a Rolex". From a WIS perspective it's a shame that some of these guys are missing out of some great alternatives.... but the fact is, most people honestly don't care, and I'm absolutely fine with that.

Of course, us WIS-folk buy Rolex too as they're fine watches (I've owned 2 myself and potentially looking for a 3rd), but I like to think I'm personally buying for more than just the name.

It's kind of like cars - when people have a little bit more cash than usual to spend on a car they may gravitate to something like a BMW, a Mercedes, or an Audi.....often for no other reason than they are perceived as prestige brands, without considering any other factors. But let's not forget that these brands, and of course Rolex, didn't get to the position they're in by making a poor product. No, Rolex make very nice quality watches, so if non-WIS people are drawn to them, then they are getting a decent item for the money.....and as I said above, most of them care only about the image and/or the brand name.

Another example was the Omega SMP. For years it was probably the most common prestige watch seen on wrists the western-world-over. And why was that? Goldeneye and Pierce Brosnan's James Bond. Yes of course it was also a very classic, well styled and well built watch (plus being expensive enough, but not excessively so), but it's rise to world domination was driven by the James Bond renaissance of Goldeneye, and the image it therefore portrayed. Again, as with Rolex, the SMP delivered in terms of quality of product, so the groundswell continued, but with the general public it's success came from Bond, and the fact that owning an SMP would somehow make some of Bond's charisma and style rub off on you. (And yes I've owned 3 SMP's over the years! :lol: )

Another example is a friend of mine at work was recently looking to spend around £3k on a watch, and I was suggesting various brands he could try (both pre-owned and new) - Tudor, Omega, Breitling, Panerai - but in the end he went for a massive, fully polished Oris. Not a bad watch by any stretch, but he could've done better for the money (IMO), but he said all that was important to him was wrist presence. Nothing else. And he's a very well educated guy : it's simply that watches don't interest him enough for him to look past the aesthetics.... and what he wanted was something "big and shiny by a decent recognisable brand, that will last". Not necessarily a bad reason to buy a watch at all, but to him that was absolutely all he was looking for, so it's not for me to say he's wrong to do that. It's each to their own. (It made me laugh though when I showed him a Panerai, and he just looked and said, "Nah, never heard of them"! :lol: )

At the other end of the same scale you get people who will buy almost anything (almost irrespective of the look), if it's expensive enough....and therefore perceived as making them look rich and/or successful. Why else would that truly hideous $1.8m sapphire crystal monstrosity made by Richard Mille (the RM 056) ever sell otherwise?! :wink: If it was made of plastic (and not just LOOKING like it's made of plastic), I'm pretty sure no-one would like it.....but no, it's $1.8m so to some people it's the greatest thing ever. (And I'm just talking about aesthetics here, not the engineering which is undoubtedly top notch).

Essentially people buy watches (like they buy any item) for a variety of reasons. No particular reason is more right or more wrong than any other. It's like anything in life - the more you get into a topic, the more your eyes are opened to other options, but that's entirely up to the individual. If you aren't THAT interested in a subject, but still want to be part of it, you will only ever follow the crowd for fear of making a (potentially expensive) mistake due to a lack of knowledge.

I too think RM would not be so popular if it was a cheap brand, but because of price and exclusivety its popular for people to desire it