The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:55 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I don't usually let things like this bother me (well not too much anyway! :wink: ), but I was channel-hopping while eating dinner and came across the 'Vostok Europe watch night' on the Ideal World shopping channel, and the alleged watch expert on there is riling me!

Just a few of the falsehoods he's come out with so far -

1. Apparently, PVD stands for "Powder" Vapour "Disposition". Really? Oh and PVD has "only been used on watch cases for about 5 years", after apparently "only ever having been used before in the car industry". If you say so!

2. The Seiko movement inside one of them (the SII NE88), is apparently "the only new chronograph movement to have been made anywhere in the world in the last 44 years". Well that's a totally incorrect statement. (OK it's the newest alternative to the 7750 that won't be destined to be in-house only, but it's certainly not the only new chronograph movement in the last 44 years!)

3. Most movements are apparently "going to be made outside of Switzerland in a few years", and the Seiko NE88 "is going to be the benchmark for movements for the next century". Uh huh.

4. By all accounts if you "spend £5000 or more on a watch you will not get anything better made, or with a better movement inside, that this Vostok". OK then.....

5. Tritium is "not radioactive"...apparently.

6. And apparently, K1 mineral glass "has all the scratch resistance of sapphire crystal". Errrrr.... nope.

AD's talking nonsense to one or two customers at a time is one thing, but broadcasting this tripe out on TV and getting people to cough-up up to £1300 on the back of incorrect information winds me up. At least have an expert who actually IS an expert! :lol:

Site Moderator