Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Single-hand watches
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
What do you guys think of single-hand watches? Meistersinger comes readily to mind. Do you think cool concept and something different or more gimmicky? While I'm sure there's a learning curve to read, in time I'm sure it's no different than say a 24 hour watch.

While I'm not specifically looking at acquiring one, I'm always looking in general (aren't we all) and I'm finding that a lot of watches up to say $8K look kind of the same; it's difficult to differentiate and I am grabbed by the fact that they are, if nothing else, different than a lot of other watches in that price range.

Post subject: Re: Single-hand watches
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:58 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Hey Tim - I personally quite like the idea as it's something different. I'm not always too sure about the Meistersinger "look", but then again, I guess being different is kind of the point! I think there are far worse gimmicks in the watch world, so I say go for it!

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:20 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I'm a very big fan, although I was always into 'weird'. More of a conceptual appreciation these days as I prepare to transition to a lifestyle where time is less relevant, but a few years ago I was considering one (though not a Meistersinger). I certainly wouldn't want it as an 'only' watch, but definitely have their place.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:48 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Driver8 wrote:
Hey Tim - I personally quite like the idea as it's something different. I'm not always too sure about the Meistersinger "look", but then again, I guess being different is kind of the point! I think there are far worse gimmicks in the watch world, so I say go for it!

Pre-owned is certainly very attractive as they really are quite reasonable priced. Not sure I'd buy a new one but definitely worthy of a second look.

Roffensian wrote:
I'm a very big fan, although I was always into 'weird'. More of a conceptual appreciation these days as I prepare to transition to a lifestyle where time is less relevant, but a few years ago I was considering one (though not a Meistersinger). I certainly wouldn't want it as an 'only' watch, but definitely have their place.

Great to hear you're a fan Roff. Agree that I wouldn't want it as an only watch. Which one were you considering?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:13 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Was looking at a number of different options but had I bought it would likely have been Schauer.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:47 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
Hey Tim, good to hear from you. I've always thought single-hand watches were interesting, probably because they are different, yet fairly readable for quick approximate time. Most of the pieces I've come across have been on the dressy side so not my cup of tea.

Here is more of a hybrid design but is on the sporty side, not sure when it will come to be. He had a rough start on this project but hopefully can get it back on track.

https://www.facebook.com/sastek.watches

Hope your staying dry!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Roffensian wrote:
Was looking at a number of different options but had I bought it would likely have been Schauer.

Interesting looking timepieces Roff, which I wholly expected coming from you, and again nice to check out a previously unknown brand to me.

Kodiak wrote:
Hey Tim, good to hear from you. I've always thought single-hand watches were interesting, probably because they are different, yet fairly readable for quick approximate time. Most of the pieces I've come across have been on the dressy side so not my cup of tea.

Here is more of a hybrid design but is on the sporty side, not sure when it will come to be. He had a rough start on this project but hopefully can get it back on track.

https://www.facebook.com/sastek.watches

Hope your staying dry!

Nice to hear from you too Terry. Those are actually very cool. I like that it's kind of a funky sporty hybrid watch that's auto (very important :wink: ) and would definitely be very different to the rest of my collection. Nice find; I'll have to keep an eye on how they develop. You thinking of one?

There's been some rain but nothing too bad lately; mind you the trails have been closed forever it seems so haven't got out on the mountain bike lately unfortunately. Is it finally warm up north? When you down this way again?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:33 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
[/quote]
Nice to hear from you too Terry. Those are actually very cool. I like that it's kind of a funky sporty hybrid watch that's auto (very important :wink: ) and would definitely be very different to the rest of my collection. Nice find; I'll have to keep an eye on how they develop. You thinking of one?

There's been some rain but nothing too bad lately; mind you the trails have been closed forever it seems so haven't got out on the mountain bike lately unfortunately. Is it finally warm up north? When you down this way again?[/quote]

I've been following this one since the beginning, not sure if I will go after one or not, been collecting too many micros lately.

Weather finally turning up here although this week looks rainy. I'll be back in Houston middle of June.