The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:34 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I'm not too sure how much interest there is in non-Breitling watches on here these days, but I just thought I'd draw attention to a few (IMO) excellent releases. I've kept this to pieces that mere mortals (like me!) can afford instead of showcasing the very nice but totally unattainable pieces that have been appearing as usual.

1) Firstly, and I know we've already seen it, but the more I see it and read about it, the more I like it - the Tudor Black Bay Bronze.

Apparently, Tudor have developed a new type of aluminium bronze that will develop an even patina, instead of the potentially blotchy patina that can occur on some bronze watches. That, plus a great size at 43mm, an in-house movement, two straps, Rolex build quality, and all for a mere 3,800CHF (or circa £2,800), this watch represents truly fantastic value for money.

Great hands-on review and video here -
http://www.ablogtowatch.com/tudor-herit ... ist-watch/

2) One of my all time favourite dive chronographs - the Omega Planet Ocean Master Chronometer Chronograph.

Yes, I know it looks VERY similar to the current model, but there are two major upgrades. Firstly it features the all new Master Chronometer 9900 movement which is certified by METAS which is basically COSC-plus. Additionally the movement is fully anti-magnetic due to the liberal use of silicon.... kinda like the Chronoworks B01, but for a lot less money! The second thing is that apparently the case is thinner than the previous model, and if you've ever handled a POC you'll know that the thickness was it's only real Achilles heal. (That said it still looks quite thick in the pictures, but ANY reduction in height is very welcome).

Anyway, here's some more info and pics -
http://www.watch-insider.com/news/basel ... onachon/5/
http://www.ablogtowatch.com/omega-seama ... aph-watch/

3) The Omega Speedmaster Co-Axial Master Chronometer Chronograph Moonphase.

Not much to say about this, other than it's available in both black and blue dials, features a ceramic bezel, an in-house Master Chronometer moonphase movement, it's a great size at 44.25mm and.... it's just absolutely gorgeous.

http://www.watch-insider.com/featured/h ... -44-25-mm/

4) This may seem an odd choice, but I really like the Rado HyperChrome 1616.

Beautiful retro design harking back to the original "Cape Horn" but in a nice modern size, and available in both G5 titanium and ceramic. Plus an 80 hour power reserve.

http://www.watch-insider.com/news/basel ... -skeleton/

5) Another retro-styled piece - the Eterna Super Kon-Tiki Chronograph.

Fantastic retro case shape, great size, in-house movement (with my personal favourite twin register / date at 6 layout). Oh, and a very keen price as well - $4,700.

http://www.watch-insider.com/news/pre-b ... ronograph/

Lastly, and this isn't a Rolex-bash as I honestly do respect their quality, but I've been amused by all the raving that's accompanied the Rolex releases......which appear (as always) to be the most minor changes imaginable. I guess there's something very cozy and reassuring about the tectonic-plate movement speed of Rolex's development. A ceramic bezel here, a new dial there, aaaaaaand...we're done for another year. :lol: Rolex must have the smallest R&D department in the world! :wink:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:16 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
You're doing better than me. I haven't seen much I like so far, hopefully some additional news yet to come.

Ran across this Fortis chronograph, starting to grow on me, wearable size too: comes in both silver (am) and black (pm) dials.
http://fortis-swiss.com/en/cosmonautis/ ... ceramic-m/

They also have a non-chrono flieger style.
http://fortis-swiss.com/en/collections/aviatis/

Agree on the Rolex front, nothing there new.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:28 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Kodiak wrote:
You're doing better than me. I haven't seen much I like so far, hopefully some additional news yet to come.

I hear you - it's not been an incredible start by any means, especially not in the "affordable" space. In fact I think that's demonstrated by the watches I've chosen as my favourites so far - none are exactly ground-breaking, but I just like them.

The other one I like is the Frederique Constant Slimline Perpetual Calendar - http://www.ablogtowatch.com/frederique- ... ure-watch/

An in-house perpetual calendar for less than £8k is pretty much unheard of. I can't find any info on case size, but as the name would suggest it's extremely thin. Fantastic, simple, but highly specced dress watch. (Not sure about making a gold-PLATED version though. :? )

The only other release I'm personally interested in potentially buying is the *ahem* "new" Doxa SUB 6000T. http://journal.everestbands.com/2016/03 ... asel-buzz/

It's 99.9999% identical to the discontinued 5000T (hell, Doxa could give Rolex a run for their money on the pedestrian development front! :lol: ), but that's actually fine by me in this instance as I used to own a 5000T and regretted selling it. The 6000T now has a Soprod A-10 movement, so that's a decent step-up, plus they have a pre-order deal that takes the sting out of the price. And for some bizarre reason I just like Doxas anyway!

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:06 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
I am not the greatest fan of Rolex generally and I have always thought the Daytona is overrated. Not much attention to detail, poor sub-dial legibility and not so useful bezel. But this one really hit all the right notes and I am going after it...

Brizzybrad likes this post.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:33 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
I've only started looking through most of the new releases now since I've been on vacation but I really like the idea of the in house black bay. I'm not sure I care for the rivet bracelet but for the price point, I really like it. I like the idea of the black bay black but I don't like the end links and the bronze is a cool idea, but not for me.

I do like the new planet oceans and for some reason, really like the black and white PO GMT. The blue and white limited Speedy is nice as well but sad to see that it's boutique only.

The new ceramic Daytonas are really nice and maybe once the hype dies down, it'll be something I'd love to own but I don't need to be the first one to get one. The new darker grey Yachtmaster dial with blue accents looks really nice.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:44 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
Hello all, been absent for a while (crazy work, kids in college so no fun going on in my corner) but I'll chime in on the bronze Black Bay. I really don't like to go over 42mm anymore but this one would at least require a look from me. The bronze with aluminum treatment looks a different shade than other bronze pieces. Also drilled lug holes help add just a little character to the Tudor's slab sides.

I also at least need to see a new Air King in person. Yes, there's a lot of stuff on the dial, but the green fascinates me. And the Datejust line expansion interests me as well, not a wow but more to choose in a good size. Being a Yachtmaster guy, the darker dial is something I want to see.

For Omega, the Blue panda Speedy interests me. Still think my next watch is a First Omega in Space, however.

As for Breitling, the SuperOcean Chrono has a nice look but I find myself looking backward rather than forward. Would still like a SuperOcean Heritage 42 at some point and I might make a size exception to get another Headwind someday.

For value, the FC perpetual is a tremendous buy for what it is. I also like the new Alpina compressor models and even their new "black bay inspired" divers. the case is more artfully designed than the severe block sides Tudor uses. Longines has been doing great things lately and I haven't heard anything from them yet.

Hope the many I know around here are well.

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:48 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Oh, and forgot one. There is a new Breguet XXI with the aged shaded numerals (getting gimmicky, but I can live with it) and the only report I saw so far ( I think it was at Revolution) is that there is a slate dial. If it's truly a slate dial and not the ruthenium i.e. brown dial, my brief, torrid love affair with the Type XXI has a chance for re-kindling someday.

Vintage gold Corum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:56 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Chronomat01LE wrote:
I am not the greatest fan of Rolex generally and I have always thought the Daytona is overrated. Not much attention to detail, poor sub-dial legibility and not so useful bezel. But this one really hit all the right notes and I am going after it...

Grudgingly I will admit that the "new" Daytona is probably the nicest looking version to date....but, like you, I still think it's a massively overrated watch for the money.

jnelson3097 wrote:
I do like the new planet oceans and for some reason, really like the black and white PO GMT

Me too! I think that GMT PO is superb looking. Really nice to see it purely monochrome in colour. I think that one's a winner.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:06 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 730 posts

Fantastic retro case shape, great size, in-house movement (with my personal favourite twin register / date at 6 layout). Oh, and a very keen price as well - $4,700.

This one reminds me of the Hamilton Pan Europ Chronograph.

Citizen Eco Drive AT4000-02E (for gardening)
Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:34 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
Despite its rather silly name, the Zenith "Classic Cars" El Primero has really got my attention.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:11 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

zak57 wrote:

This one reminds me of the Hamilton Pan Europ Chronograph.

Yeah it does a bit....and I like the Hamilton too, but the in-house movement on the Eterna edges it for me.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:34 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Moana43 wrote:
Despite its rather silly name, the Zenith "Classic Cars" El Primero has really got my attention.

Yes, saw and liked that one as well.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Vintage gold Corum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 51 posts
Certainly not THE luxury watch but I like the new Alpina Seastrong Diver iteration. Clean, uncluttered and certainly no numerals cut off.
http://www.ablogtowatch.com/alpina-seastrong-diver-300-automatic-watch/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:47 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

the Longines Rail Road. Not something I would buy but I really admire the execution of simplicity with this piece.

Vintage gold Corum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:34 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
How about a clean no nonsense diver:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t= ... sg_7222925

I'm warming up to the gray and orange 43.5mm Omega PO, but the thickness is still an issue at about 16mm. Sure wish they could 'thin out' the 8500 movement. Hard to keep track of all the Speedmasters these days, the original 3570 still holds my interest.

http://www.watch-insider.com/news/basel ... onachon/5/