The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:06 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I recently re-picked up a watch that I originally owned a few years ago, but had sold for the most pathetic reason going (namely that my g/f at the time didn't like it! :roll: ). The watch - a Tag Heuer Aquagraph - is actually the only watch I ever REALLY regretted selling.....and as luck would have it I recently found one NOS in Italy for a fantastic price. :thumbsup:

A couple of pictures will follow, but essentially it's arguably the best dive watch Tag Heuer have ever made - but that's not why I'm posting this here. As the watch is NOS and has been out of production since 2008, the first thing that needs to happen is a full service, and this is where I think countless other watch companies (Breitling included) could learn a thing or two.

A quick call to Tag Heuer to get a rough price actually resulted in them sending me their own postal pack which consisted of a specially branded padded box, a request form, and a prepaid envelope....all free of charge! You just package up your watch, take it to the post office, tell them how much to insure it for, and get a receipt. Nothing to pay, no worries at all.

It's a far cry from most other large watch manufacturers who all insist on you mailing your own watch in at your own risk and expense. I never thought I'd say the words, "maybe Tag Heuer could teach Breitling/Omega" a thing or two, but in this case I think they definitely could. (Just hope the quality of the service itself matches up! Time will tell.....)

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:51 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
I had to chuckle when reading the reason why you first got rid of the Tag, I have always tried to teach my children that they need to be comfortable with any joint decisions made with their respective boy/girl friends. My opinion was the girl/boy friends come and go, so until you say I do, you need to stick up for yourself as much as possible. After you walk down the aisle it is a whole different ballgame!! Congratulations on getting your "baby" back!

Driver8 likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:01 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
Several years ago when I was new to the watch world that was the diver I was looking for. They were hard to come by
at that time, eventually gave up. I think they do not have a date if I remember correctly though. Congrats, I'll be sure to look at pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:32 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

56scooter wrote:
I had to chuckle when reading the reason why you first got rid of the Tag, I have always tried to teach my children that they need to be comfortable with any joint decisions made with their respective boy/girl friends. My opinion was the girl/boy friends come and go, so until you say I do, you need to stick up for yourself as much as possible. After you walk down the aisle it is a whole different ballgame!! Congratulations on getting your "baby" back!.

Wise words 56scooter! :lol: Women come and go : watches are forever! :wink:

Kodiak wrote:
Several years ago when I was new to the watch world that was the diver I was looking for. They were hard to come by
at that time, eventually gave up. I think they do not have a date if I remember correctly though. Congrats, I'll be sure to look at pics.

Yep that's the one, Kodiak - a no-date chronograph. To be honest it's the only modern Tag I like, and provided you can handle the lack of date, and the lack of fine bracelet adjustment (I'm lucky in as much as I can get a perfect fit), then it's pretty much a perfect diver. It's got a very unique movement (the Calibre 60 which is based on an ETA 2892 with a Dubois Depraz chronograph module on top) that uses a central chronograph totaliser hand like the old Lemania movements, and I just love it because it's an absolute no nonsense tool watch where Tag Heuer threw literally everything at it in terms of producing an extremely high quality watch. In fact, this watch is currently still the only model to ever use the Calibre 60 movement.

I'm not going to do a review of it here as the following review already does a fantastic job, so if anyone's interested in this watch I thoroughly recommend having a quick read -

http://www.calibre11.com/review-tag-heuer-aquagraph/

Anyway here's a couple of wristies of my NOS baby. :D

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:10 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 4 posts
56scooter wrote:
I had to chuckle when reading the reason why you first got rid of the Tag, I have always tried to teach my children that they need to be comfortable with any joint decisions made with their respective boy/girl friends. My opinion was the girl/boy friends come and go, so until you say I do, you need to stick up for yourself as much as possible. After you walk down the aisle it is a whole different ballgame!! Congratulations on getting your "baby" back!

No, it's especially important there. Plenty of women are more demure until marriage occurs. After, they know they have you by the bank wire :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:14 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 28 posts
I've only seen that Tag one other time. A very uncommon piece. I'd love to have one like that, a true tool of the trade, and collectible. On the subject of women.... There's a reason for the saying, "Young, dumb, and full of _____." Maybe not all the girl to blame. Fortunately, I'm not as young these days and get to keep and enjoy what I want, a wife and 3 daughters later. I guess they figure I earned a little room.. Really nice piece, congrats for finding one again.

J

Driver8 likes this post.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:39 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
Driver don't you also regret selling your b4b Le Mans?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:15 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

boogiebot wrote:
Driver don't you also regret selling your b4b Le Mans?

I did for quite a while, but not any more TBH. I've actually gone off the B4B thing completely in the last couple of years.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:18 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

DocJPO1980 wrote:
I've only seen that Tag one other time. A very uncommon piece. I'd love to have one like that, a true tool of the trade, and collectible..... .....Really nice piece, congrats for finding one again.

Thanks a lot - I appreciate it! :thumbsup

DocJPO1980 wrote:
On the subject of women.... There's a reason for the saying, "Young, dumb, and full of _____." Maybe not all the girl to blame. Fortunately, I'm not as young these days and get to keep and enjoy what I want.....

I hear you on that one! :lol:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:23 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
They are awesome watches, congratulations on the catch! I've had a couple, and only didn't get on with them because of the lack of date. Toshi made me a cracking strap for it, I would heartily recommend considering one.

I have kept watches cos the wife likes them, but have never sold because she doesn't!

@watchbod

Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1038209876208986/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:16 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

That strap looks really good. :thumbsup: That said I do personally like the standard bracelet on the Aquagraph as it's a very well engineered piece. Plus I'm lucky in as much as I can get a perfect fit, even without any fine adjustment option.

While I'm here - just an update on this thread. As stated above I sent my watch in for a service and considering it's NOS, the cost was eye-watering! Not 4 quite figures.....but not a million miles short of it either!!

While I applaud TAG's customer service in terms of providing a free of charge method of posting watches to them, I certainly don't applaud their practise of charging for EACH hand when they replace them (and there are 7 hands on the Aquagraph)!! I don't have the invoice to hand, but just the largest (i.e. the minute) hand alone costs £66 + VAT! Each rubber push-piece cover (EACH) is around £120! And I didn't even need to replace the rubbers but just thought I would for "future-proofing" purposes. So... that little lot plus a full service, and suddenly it's close on 4 figures for a perfectly running, NOS watch! :shock:

Still, it is one of my all-time favourite pieces, so at least it's good for a few more years now. :thumbsup:

Site Moderator