It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Paypal risks to seller?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 47 posts
Not sure if this is proper location, mods please move if not

What is the general feeling about selling a high dollar item like a watch via paypal? Forget the fees argument that just stinks for all but paypal. Paypal seems to be pretty much in the buyers corner. As a buyer with no bad motives I like that a lot. Have heard some horror stories about buyers claiming seller sent him a rock and paypal ruling in buyers favor. Not sure if that is real or urban legend. Obviously the more established a forum member is the better feeling you get. I've both bought and sold on this form (and others), never had a problem and the transactions were actually pleasant because they were people that cared about watches not just "sellers" or buyers.

If you are a seller you understand the buyer wanting to make things easy and they are eager to get their new piece. I totally get that. I like easy no matter what is going on. I also understand from the buyers perspective that a wire transfer is basically giving money, they have to feel comfortable with the seller before considering that.

How do you strike the right balance if the person is not a well know entity, but everything seems legit? Shipped to a verified address and signature required enough?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
its not urban legend , Buyers claiming 'not as described' and then immediately escalating to a claim , and send back an empty box with a tracking number leaving the seller 100% empty handed.

paypal high ticket items only from people I have dealt with before or that I somehow 'know' and/or have a verifiable good reputation , can be traced through linkedin etc etc (high FB score buying similar big ticket items on eBay certainly helps as well) . All others pay with bank transfer on high ticket items

If I , as a buyer , insist on paying by paypal I certainly understand the seller wanting me to provide references as well if large sums are involved .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:33 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I've only done a wire a handful of times. One was for an out of the way sailing trip and I was sending money to a bank in Granada. The bank person actually recommended I NOT send it...twice! :shock: It was the only form of payment the captain of the boat took. It all worked out fine. Is there any recourse for the sender of the money on a wire transfer or is it "gone" as soon as sent?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:37 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 123 posts
If using PayPal, make sure you "Buy the Buyer"... Make sure he/she has references and you have a level of comfort first... you are taking a risk by putting the transaction in the hands of PP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:12 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
I sold a Navi World to a member on here without any posts and he paid with paypal. Everything went smooth until 2 months after the sale and I got an email from paypal notifying me that the buyer had opened a fraudulent claim. Since I'm a verified seller and was given protection on the sale, I was able to keep the money after providing the tracking information on the shipment. It was a stressful week though going back and forth with paypal and each watch sale since that one, I've been paid with a wire.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:44 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
The real problem with PayPal now is they have given the buyer 6 months to make a claim. In addition to being usually screwed by PayPal as a seller they now have basically given the buyer a 6 month warranty on a watch. I asked them about that as to how can a seller make a claim 5 1/2 months down the road as "not as described" when they should have been able to figure that out when they opened the package upon initial receipt. Of course no answer. Just another reason while I'll be happy to see an alternative to PayPal surface.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:59 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Assuming the trust between parties is there possibly be any issue with friend/gift payment (from non friends). That sort of negates the fees and disputes does it not? I know that is not practical in all situations.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
rplace wrote:
Assuming the trust between parties is there possibly be any issue with friend/gift payment (from non friends). That sort of negates the fees and disputes does it not? I know that is not practical in all situations.

No purchase protection under 'friends & family' payments so you best be sure you absolutely trust the other party. I have had PayPal contact me by phone asking about a couple of larger friends payments so I only now use it for a few smaller transactions and with people I do regular transactions with.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:36 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 123 posts
rplace wrote:

Do not accept Gift payment!!! No protection for you if they cancel the charge on their credit card.

Post subject: Paypal risks to seller?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:38 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
When I post a watch with any transaction I get someone to come with me and film the boxing and posting all in one take. I do closeup shots of the watch from all angles, start, stop and reset Chrono etc. We film me handing it over to the official and them sealing the parcel. Then I upload the film to YouTube.

That seems like overkill but it got me out of trouble when a scammer used someone else's credit card to buy one of my watches on eBay.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:34 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
I find using paypal stressful if I am honest, basically its the wait for all to calm down or receive positive feedback from the buyer (ebay).

If I sell something, I check the tracking and contact them to ask if they are happy with the purchase, 9/10 I get the 'yeah I am over the moon' email back and I retain this for future. I had one where I sold a guy car mats, he paid by paypal...came to my house, tried them and said they were fine. I had the text message aswell thanking me for the mats as they were such a good buy (new dealership mats) and that was that.

2 weeks later, I got a message from paypal saying he had opend a dispute to say they didn't fit the car...I sent them the text message from the buyer inc. the phone number, the fact he came to the house and tried them etc. resulting in Paypal throwing out the claim as they believed he took the appropriate steps to ensure the goods were satisfactory condition (and I didn't con him in anyway)and the fact the 'after sale text message' was sufficient to reinforce this also.

Its a convenience but I feel the risk to the seller these days is too high to use it for high value transactions.

Tag Heuer Carrera
Tag Heuer Indy 500

P51 likes this post.