The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:01 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
I'm starting this thread because on one hand there seems to be dismay about less general Basel chatter overall, but the slightly fragmented Breitling Basel posts here has had some discussion about other brands, just spread all over the place. Breitling has been pretty well covered, but let's see if we can start a centralized discussion about everything else which has come out this past week.

I posted some other thoughts elsewhere, but I'll try and start the ball rolling.

Rolex:

Day/Date 40--Just what does it mean? Is the DDII at 41mm to be discontinued? Is the 36mm? I do think 40 is what the step up from 36 should have been all along but its an unusual moment when Rolex appears to feel the need to "correct" itself.

Oyster Perpetual 39mm-- This makes so much sense I don't know what took them so long. I need to see the dials, however, and their contrast-colored lume dots. I find it hard to believe Rolex would mess this up but from pics I need to see more.

Yachtmaster Rose Gold on rubber-- Crazy money but I'm completely taken by it nonetheless.

Cellini--New models are nice, but it's a crowded market and nice just isn't enough.

Omega:

All sides of the Moon-- This has gotten way out of hand. I'll admit I like some of the variations, but it all makes your head spin and for some reason cheapens a special concept piece in the original 'dark side of the moon' piece.

Silver Snoopy Award new model--Most people I have read don't like it. With the exception of the 'failure is not an option" quote, becuase Gene Krantz never said it ( He glommed it on a book because he did like it) however, this is one of the few 'variation' Speedmasters I like. And while the look to me is OK, what it stands for is why I care. Speedys were obviously littered all over special events in NASA's history, but the Apollo 13 mission, with computer timers off, radio communication only and real reliance on the timepiece as opposed to use as a fail-safe, was arguably the one and only time when the timepiece meant everything. The way we think about the Space program and the Speedmaster may have been quite different had Apollo 13 not been saved. With a second Apollo tragedy the program might have stopped, the primary goal having been reached, and the whole thing may have had a bittersweet end. The fourteen seconds boxes are a little cheesy perhaps, but they stand for something far more than the 'chartreuse side of the moon (not yet in production, but only a matter of time)'.

Globemaster-- So, maybe Omega did have a bezel like this in the past, but this looks too much like a kinda sorta Datejust fluted bezel. Why not do a really nice 39 mm pie pan Constellation? I need to see this in the metal to be sure, but I fear they messed up a good idea.

Titanium Ploprof – – still not for me, but the titanium makes sense.

GO:

When I first looked at these, I asked myself what the changes were. Then I saw the old and new Pano series side-by-side, and it all made sense. Classy, subtle evolution. I haven't paid as much attention to the Senator series but it looks like more of the same careful evolution.

Longines:

Heritage diver 1967-- I like the dial proportions, the bright bezel, and, oh yeah, 42 mm in size. What a concept, a chronograph which is not freakishly large!

Pulseometer Chrono, while not for me, adds a monopusher chrono to the lineup. This is becoming one of the more intriguing of the swatch group brands.

Ulysse Nardin:

Whatever you think of them, the Hourstriker oil pump, FreakLab, and Anchor Tourbillion are not dull.

Oris:

Several new pieces, their retro piece for some reason doesn't do it for me.

Tudor:

This has been discussed elsewhere, so keeping it short. $400 (or so) extra to go in-house? Why isn't this (or is it) the biggest story of the show?

Sinn:

I said this elsewhere as well, but does the 903 "Sinn Navi" have a niche now with $9000 Navitimers, few of which are below 43mm? Just don't know if I could do it.

240st--Nothing that special, just a well-done retro-diver.

104 St Sa-- Take a look at this, then take a look at the Superocean II. I prefer the latter, but I can think of, what, probably 2,500 reasons why not.

6068--A simple, nicely sized non-military GMT with internal bezel. I want one.

I'm spent way too long on this, other brands (I'm not in Patek-land and I love every Breguet just because) maybe some others can discuss. Anybody?

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:33 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
Omega

I'm not a huge fan of the Snoopy Speedy. I like the lume on it but the 2 quotes on it ruin it for me. The white side of the moon is just awful. I agree about some of the variations of the new dark sides, but they've gone too far with them. The original and the grey side are still very nice, and they should have left it at that. i've said it on the Ploprof thread that I respect the history and love the look of the watch, but I'll never buy one.

GO

The new blue dial Panos are really nice looking. Nothing else really caught my eye.

Patek

As much as been written about hating their new pilot watch, I still like it. I'll never own it and I think it would have more sense to make it in SS rather than white gold. There were also some new dials in their current lineup which are pretty nice, especially the blue dial 6000 and 5124.

Tudor

I'm impressed with the small jump up in price for going in house. My only problem is why have the display back and not decorate the movement some?

Zenith

The Elite looks nice but it's not for me. I do like the El Primero sport chrono but I know the size kills it for a lot of people.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:41 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
Just saw this, the Fortis Terrestis Orchestra:

http://wornandwound.com/wp-content/uplo ... LAND_9.jpg

Really like this.

Also, supposedly the only watch with auto chrono, alarm and GMT:

http://wornandwound.com/wp-content/uplo ... 24x682.jpg

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:11 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
Basel has seemed to be a little fragmented this year. I finally made some time to check out the offerings in one place. My thoughts:

The new Rolex Calibre 3255 sounds good, with tolerances tighter than COSC. The watches pretty much look the same as always to me so nothing overly exciting. I appreciate Rolex but definitely a like / dislike kind of brand IMO, whether the social status or actual look of the watch. The Yacht-Master is my favorite of the new lineup.

The Patek Calatrava Pilot Travel Time I think is a good looking watch. Not overwhelming but solid; I'm almost surprised Patek made such a watch. Good case size at 42mm for once, and love that its a DB. Ridiculous money of course at $47,600 (why not SS) but that's to be expected :wink:

The Bremont Boeing Model 1, and Model 247 Ti-GMT watches look solid (the 247 - chrono - is my pick) and are a good follow up to last year's releases, even though I'm not all that partial to DLC. Love the strap and DB, but the cost is just a little too high for me, which is a common 'issue' for me and Bremont.

The Dark Side of the Moon Omega's are ridiculous for me - way out of hand. The Black Black, and Sedna Black are the worst although none of them are all that appealing. Just a head scratcher. The white side of the moon is equally hideous but I can see that there is a market out there at the moment for white watches - it might sell. Not all is lost for Omega as I really like the Silver Snoopy. Just a solid, classic Speedmaster of old.

I really like the Ressence Type 3 watch. Along with being a very cool concept, visually the watches are a win for me. Now for the $42,200 price tag...if I had the money, I'd definitely look into owning one.

One of my favorite releases this year are the GO Pano's. I'm probably going to add one of these to the collection next go-around (or a JLC). I really like the off-center/off-symmetrical balance of the watch; it's something different but still retains a classic look. While I'm not partial to the blue dial, I do like the size and updates - subtle but classy as Scott shared.

The Linde Werdelin duo of Spidolite releases look awesome. Great visual watches at a good size, and clearly something different but not too garish.

The Jacob & Co. Astronomia Tourbillon Baguette watch, at a cool $1MM is stunning. While I could never imagine wearing such an odd looking piece, it would definite be a conversation starter. Such complexity, I could look at and appreciate it all day. I think it's great that Company's get this creative with time pieces.

Finally, the Grand Seiko. While my wife thinks the design is boring, I've always been highly interested in the Grand Seiko's. While they definitely fall into the formal looking, dressy side of the watch spectrum, I appreciate the value and quality. And it's a perfect size at 40mm.

This is probably enough time spend for now but no doubt I'll continue looking at another time. Good thread Scott.

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:31 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 96 posts
Would be nicer thread with images of each watch being referred to