Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415686239.278453.jpg
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415686255.461436.jpg
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415686270.094258.jpg
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415686280.714829.jpg

I need some help in choosing my next watch and I have narrowed it down to 4 watches.

I live in Dubai and know a reliable dealer who can supply these models at a decent discount below dealer prices.

I have a Breitling Super Avenger, Panerai Radiomir Black Seal and a recent Panerai Luminor Marina 422.

So the models on my shortlist are -

Zenith El Primero Grande Date - USD 9,000

AP ROO Diver - USD 13,750

JLC Master Compressor Extreme World Chronograph - USD 12,650

Rolex Deep Sea Sea Dweller - USD 11,500

Zenith - Love the legendary movement, open heart display and the complications. Also love the price. Hesitant because the brand is not "up there" with the others.

AP ROO Diver - Love the design. Love the way it feels on the wrist. Been wanting an AP for a while. Don't like the price and the solid case back. Also complications wise - least bang for buck. But I hear this is one of their best movements inside with a solid gold rotor.

JLC Master Compressor Extreme World Chronograph - Love the complications. Always wanted a World Time complication. It's a JLC. Also hear this is one of their finest chronograph movements. In my mind the right balance between price, brand, complications. It is a JLC!

Rolex DSSD - Well, it's a Rolex. And I have to eventually get one for my collection. Also quite versatile and goes well with formal and informal wear. But boring.

What does the collective wisdom of the forum say? Which one of these 4 would you choose and why?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

:fulllingclub:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:22 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
If it was my money I'd be going with the JLC first - fantastic movement and a great looking piece. In fact I'd considered that very model myself a few years back when I had a little more disposable than I do now!

Second choice would be the AP. I love the ROO, although the Chrono would always be my preferred choice over the diver....but price is a big issue.

The Zenith is my third choice as (as you rightly say) the 36,000 beat El Primero movement is a true icon. However Roff's issues with his, plus the fact that that model is a little too dressy for me relegates it to third place.

The Rolex Deepsea is in last place simply because I actually owned one for a while, and I'm sorry to say but I just found it incredibly boring. After the initial flurry of ownership I found it was getting zero wrist time. Yes it's well built and the Rolex name carries it through to a certain extent, but it's a very dull watch to own. (JMO of course!)

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:48 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
JLC over DSSD for me, neither of the others would make the list. The AP does nothing for me, and I wouldn't touch a big date Zenith again because I prefer my watches outside of service centres.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:55 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
Based on what you have, I would go with AP or DSSD if I were you. Not a fan of Zenith. I personally don't like the JLC design as I find the dial messy and I dislike having a white date window on a black dial. Lots of unnecessary distraction. Anyway instead of DSSD maybe you might wanna consider the Sub C with date instead. What you have are rather big watches so having something dressier or smaller adds variation to your collection. Also I personally feel that the date magnifier is an iconic Rolex design which is a must have. Unless if you don't like the date magnifier.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:57 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
Based on your comments, sounds like the JLC hits the most marks for you. Personally I think the Zenith rounds out your collection so far the best, but you may not care if it is "rounded". At some point you will probably want to scratch the Rolex "itch", most of us do. Personally the DSSD doesn't work for me, but the 40mm Dweller--that's nice. Still JLC or the AP and again, look at your comments. I think they say JLC.

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:44 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 6 posts
Scott wrote:
Based on your comments, sounds like the JLC hits the most marks for you. Personally I think the Zenith rounds out your collection so far the best, but you may not care if it is "rounded". At some point you will probably want to scratch the Rolex "itch", most of us do. Personally the DSSD doesn't work for me, but the 40mm Dweller--that's nice. Still JLC or the AP and again, look at your comments. I think they say JLC.

Zenith rounding off my collection was Spot On!
Also, I am not currently thinking of rounding off! Again Spot on!

Rolex. JLC. AP - ROO. Are 3 itches I have to scratch sometime.
Scratched my Panerai Luminor itch earlier this year!

Hmm..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:49 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Thanks for the comments guys. As I said, A Rolex, a JLC and an AP ROO (specifically the ROO line) I HAVE to have. Can't afford them all.

My problem with the JLC is - All other models are too boring or the too expensive. This falls right in between. But it is exactly very JLC-like.

My problem with the AP ROO Diver is - Too much cash for a simple 3 hand and date complication.

The Rolex DSSD - This is the ONLY Rolex Model I like and will consider buying. And so it sits wonderfully between price, iconic model, having a Rolex, adaptability between suits and casual wear. So perfect.

But boring :-(

The Zenith - I guess it is out of the shortlist for now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:04 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
I still think JLC is where you're headed. About Rolex, though--everybody has a different reaction. I learned mine when after years of owning one, I didn't have one. They can seem boring in comparison. But I also realized the appreciation I developed for how well-done they are. The difference is that the details you appreciate are smaller, more subtle. In twelve years of this little compulsion I have been just over a year without a Rolex, and most of that year I spent wanting one again. I keep seeing a pre-owned blue Breguet Marine Big Date on some of the boards. I'd love to have it, but I'd have to try and trade my Rolex and something else to get it--and I just don't think I could be without one for long again.

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:14 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
if you like the chrono feature would you consider a Rolex daytona? that watch is elegantly sexy and timeless

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:12 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 17 posts
Rolex is cliche and I think the ROO is ugly and overpriced. However, I'm in the minority with both those views. For me, the JLC is a must have, although that specific model would not be my choice. I've always loved the Chronomaster, although I'm not a fan of the redesign. I strongly preferred the previous version.

At any rate, I'd go JLC or Zenith.

Navitimer 01- Limited Edition #1337/2000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:15 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
bozman52 wrote:
Rolex is cliche and I think the ROO is ugly and overpriced. However, I'm in the minority with both those views. For me, the JLC is a must have, although that specific model would not be my choice. I've always loved the Chronomaster, although I'm not a fan of the redesign. I strongly preferred the previous version.

At any rate, I'd go JLC or Zenith.

Rolex may be "cliche" as you put it but there is no doubt that that they make the best selling sports watches ever. so maybe thats why its "cliche".

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:27 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 20 posts
I would choose the Sea-dweller. I would prefer a matte bezel though. There is something about matte black and brushed stainless that hits the mark for me not many around with that combo. Take a peek at a 50 fathoms you may change your mind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:22 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 2 posts
Ap Diver for sure, should be able to get a healthy discount on it too from a reseller.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:29 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 96 posts
Zenith for looks imo, but don't know the relative merits of the others in other departments.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:34 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I have made my choice. Got an amazing deal.
Incoming March. Will post pics and close this thread then!!

Last edited by Mercury2wo on Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.