The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:14 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
We live in a time where many have eschewed wrist watches in favor of their digital phones. Perhaps the Apple watch will lead many of these folks to wear watches again. If that happens, it may be more common for people to start checking out each other's wrists -- which, oddly enough, might lead to people noticing the automatic watches on our wrists and some interesting conversation.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:42 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
We will wait and see how the tweets & retweets go. If it gets cred on release and social acceptability from the igen, then apple might have a winner. If you stop to think of what it can actually do on its own then I will go suunto for a monitor and my iPhone for all the PDA work it does, plus a Breitling for a wrist watch.

As I suggested earlier, once a smart everything is loaded into a set of eye glasses, then I will be a happy man. But not till then.

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:04 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
I just heard today that the watch will have to be charged everyday (unless something changes of course between now and the 2015 release date). I wonder if that will have a negative impact on sales.

Personally it's not for me. I'm trying to reduce my use of electronics, not increase it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:47 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 17 posts
At least people will be staring at their wrists and not at their phones anymore. If they look over to my wrist they won't find any electronics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 51 posts
Smartwatches don't do it for me. But I can't stop staring at my wrist all the same. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:57 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
It's not a watch, It's not a watch, It's not a watch, It's not a watch, It's not a watch, It's not a watch, It's not a watch, It's not a watch, It's not a watch, It's not a watch, It's not a watch, It's not a watch.

But I don't have strong feelings on the subject.

(I almost began a thread last week when I noted nary a peep here.).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:28 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 11 posts
Aesthetically I don't like it, function wise, it's not for me (read minimal to no exercise, and hate push notifications), and the battery life, well I just don't want to charge anything else every night. I do think it will increase "wrist awareness" as people will be looking to see if you are wearing the latest tech trend.

I'm sure it will be popular, I'm sure Apple will sell a ton, but there is no way I'm trading my mechanical collection and the enjoyment I get out of wearing a fine timepiece for a circuit board that will be obsolete in a year's time. I know it's a different animal but still, at this time there is almost no chance to make an Apple watch an heirloom, and that bothers me... Much more so than a G-shock not being able to be passed down.

With all that said, that 10 minute video on Apple's site sure does make me want to try it at least...

Scott, you are absolutely right about the Samsung vs. Apple discussions, everyone must have realized Iphone's are just better :poke:

Lastly, iphone 6 will be here Friday! :nana:

Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Rolex Submariner Date Ceramic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:22 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
sco wrote:
Scott, you are absolutely right about the Samsung vs. Apple discussions, everyone must have realized Iphone's are just better :poke:

Now, THAT'S more like it! BTW, I choose neither. I have a Droid Maxx, for 1)battery life neither of the above two have, and 2) better actual telephone, you know, the thing these started out as before they became entertainment machines.

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:21 pm 

Liked in: 33 posts
http://www.forbes.com/sites/arieladams/ ... er-speaks/

Not one of Ariel Adams' better interviews. He asked the same question at least a half dozen different ways and kept getting the same answer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:32 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
It's an updated iPod shuffle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:11 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
sharkman wrote:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/arieladams/2014/09/15/luxury-watch-industryleader-reaction-to-apple-watch-jean-claude-biver-speaks/

Not one of Ariel Adams' better interviews. He asked the same question at least a half dozen different ways and kept getting the same answer.

That is apparently the mark of a great interviewer. While all of us just want the interview to end! Haha

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:13 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 20 posts
sharkman wrote:
It's not a watch, It's not a watch, It's not a watch, It's not a watch, It's not a watch, It's not a watch, It's not a watch, It's not a watch, It's not a watch, It's not a watch, It's not a watch, It's not a watch.

Yes it is! A device worn on the wrist which tells the time. It's a watch and I'm going to buy yours when you sell it after a week of ownership....I'll keep an eye out for the FS thread!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:38 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 37 posts
My opinion of the Apple watch and similar:

I like some quartz watches, but just not these uber geeky metrosexual watches. (SevenFriday is another metrosexual watch, IMO)
Granted, they are high-tech, but they are throwaway tech. Just like cell phones are after a few years.

I won't be adding one to my collection. I don't need a heartbeat monitor or something to remind me that my phone just rang/bleeped/whatever.
I don't want to have to rely on a phone & watch combo or app to conduct my life.
I don't want to be obsessed by who just did the ice bucket challenge or what Kanye is tweeting to Kim.
I don't want to be distracted by a wrist-mounted screen while I'm driving/climbing a tower @ work/eating a meal/making love etc.

You get the gist.

I have no interest in this latest fad. I'll stick to my precision engineered hand built Swiss timepiece (as expensive as it is), thanks very much.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:57 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 4 posts
Battery life is less than one day.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:56 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 3 posts
Own two Smartwatches; one with functions comparable to the iWatch and it is a pia. I don't need to be better connected. Nothing it can really provide for me. The second watch is a Garmin Swim and I use it daily during my exercise routine. Very useful; it tracks my swimming for distance, strokes, and efficiency. Something that I can really use and won't find in any mechanical watch.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next