The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:40 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Sometimes I wonder why people buy used watches from private sellers or buy from grey dealers and end up worrying about authenticity and warranty issues.

I think if spending a couple of thousands on a watch, better to buy from boutique or AD.
Especially if it's a watch to mark a milestone in life and you will very likely keep it.
What's the point of buying a used watch and worrying if it's authentic? Or the history.
Or worry about servicing at the brand's service centre.

Just feel that the watch brands should not entertain authenticity verification questions about a watch if it isn't bought from AD or boutique.
In other words the watch was bought used or grey.

And not perform servicing on watches not bought from AD or boutique.
Servicing should have the purchase receipt and brand warranty card stamped and dated with AD name or brand boutique name.

After all, these customers did not pay good money to buy the watch brands.
There is a reason why customers still buy from boutique or AD, which explains why the boutiques and AD are still in business.

If some one has to worry so much about warranty and authenticity issues, just buy from boutique or AD. No point buying used or grey.
Face it everyone wants brand new stuff if possible, be it a watch or any other consumer product.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:42 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
If you hadnt already had 123 posts behind your name I would have uploaded a picture that said 'dont feed the trolls'

There are literally a million reasons why you dont/cant/want to buy new or from an AD / boutique , but as you dont seem to be able to come up with a few yourself I am not going to post them either

Be well

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:17 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Two very separate issues as far as I am concerned. Buying from grey market - not for me, can get as good (or close to it) from shopping ADs, especially if you build relationships, and AD gives factory warranty. That said, Breitling could kill the grey market very quickly if it chose to do so - just buy a grey market watch, trace the serial number to the AD and take that dealer's AD status away. Clearly they don't care. Most brands are the same, although some do try to control.

As for not buying used, cannot come close to understanding that logic. Why on earth would Breitling (or any other brand) care - they will still get servicing revenue and a healthy used market will keep brand awareness going strong. Just think about how much less activity there would be here if it wasn't for sales. That's before we get into the idea of buying discontinued / vintage models. Sorry, but the idea of brands refusing to support watches that aren't first owner AD is sourced is ludicrous.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:41 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
Can't agree with all the points in the OP, especially on the part where watch brands shouldn't entertain servicing or authenticity verification for used and grey pieces. After all they are authentic and not replicas . If that really happens then nobody will want to buy used pieces, which means that all our watches become "worthless" once we buy them.

However I personally don't buy grey or used pieces. I guess that's me because I buy watches to commemorate certain events in my life that are important to me and I would want to keep them forever and pass down to my children eventually as family heirloom. After all they are high end pieces and not cheap so the "buying experience" does matter to me too. Everytime I buy a new watch it's like opening a new diary where I start to pen my daily life into it. You know it's a very personal thingy so buying a new piece makes me feel great, especially when I really like the model very much.

Another reason I guess is due to my lack of knowledge that I am not confident buying used pieces. There are too many things to take note and lack of knowledge and experience can result in a bad purchase. IMHO, when someone sells a watch, most of the time it's because he is not happy with it for some reason. That's why it has always been mentioned, "buy the seller first". I gotta know why the seller wants to sell it, whether there's any warranty left, whether there was any issues with the watch, take into consideration additional costs to send the watch for an overhaul in order to determine if the price is worth it...Blar...Blar...blar....too many things to take note. well I'm a bit superstitious too because I don't to end up spending so much money and buying a deceased's watch!!!!(LOL) It's true because a client of mine recently wanted to sell her husband's Sub-C as her husband just passed away, due to AIDS. Well I know some people wouldn't mind but I personally don't want to end up buying a deceased watch.

However buying used pieces is an effective way of expanding one's collection. For eg, I want to add a dress watch into my collection for variation. However a dress watch lacks versatility and can even cost more than a sports watch, which I am not willing to pay too much for. Therefore buying used is one good option. I was considering that for my third piece beforehand as I was thinking of getting a dress watch like Piaget Altiplano but I am not willing to pay so much for it when it is not as versatile as my Chronomat and my Batman. End up the Breitling bug caught me again and I ended up with another metal bracelet watch(Navi 01 46).

No matter what I personally feel that it's a good thing to have people buying used and maybe I will explore this option in future if I wish to get something that I don't like so much but still wish to add it into my collection for variation. But as of now, not for me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:47 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
my point is if somebody has to worry so much about authenticity and warranty issues and even ask how to prove its real, please don't waste each other time.

its just a watch. no need to prove anything. life has much more to offer.
just go and buy from AD or boutique.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:24 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
bwyt wrote:
my point is if somebody has to worry so much about authenticity and warranty issues and even ask how to prove its real, please don't waste each other time.

its just a watch. no need to prove anything. life has much more to offer.
just go and buy from AD or boutique.

Used doesn't mean fake. The most treasured piece in my possession is one that I bought used. It is 100% original and I didn't waste anyone's time during the purchase. It will be an heirloom that is valued far, far more than any new watch that I could buy. I couldn't buy it new because I wasn't alive in 1870 and oddly enough I couldn't find any American Waltham dealers who had one NOS!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:52 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
Good article in WatchTime that goes to the matter at hand.

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:47 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 14 posts
Pretty funny from my perspective. I have owned dozens of Breitlings and currently have about a half dozen in rotation and my wife has two. In the last twenty years, I don't think that I have bought more than two new from an AD. Actually, a friend had a connection of some sort in Switzerland about twenty years ago and picked up my first Breitling, a display back Lemania movement Cosmonaute, from the factory [so I actually didn't even buy that one from an AD...]. I doubt that BUSA minds though; at least one goes in for a full service almost every year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:31 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 36 posts
There are strong arguments to buy pre-loved, one being, the huge depreciation of new Breitlings the minute you walk out the AD door. If you keep your eyes open you can get nearly new watches still under factory warranty for 40%-50% off their original sticker price. Sometimes you can find a watch that is just months old, worn once or twice and put back in its box. Guess who got to eat the initial depreciation?

I personally try to avoid grey market pieces, new or used, because I believe the warranty certificate adds value to the watch and makes life easier come service/repair time.

But yes it is very possible to buy used 100% authentic Breitling pieces, still under warranty, for substantial savings.

ADs are very stingy when it comes to discounting generally speaking. They are controlled by the manufacturer as to not deep discount the product, they have high rents to pay, insurance costs, payroll costs and high overhead costs. All of these are passed onto you the consumer.

I am not saying that buying new from AD is inherently bad, but, remember that unless money is no object or you have to have a newly release hot piece, you are not getting the best return for every dollar paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:33 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 36 posts
Also there are very reputable online grey sellers. You can get new unworn watches or minty one with active warranty cards for less than the AD. Just do your homework.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:17 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 730 posts
All the Breitlings I have owned have been purchased used, three from the bay and two from this forum. Personally, I can't justify paying full whack from an AD. I have tried negotiate a discount in the past but have never been able to do. Luckily I have had no issues with any of my used purchases and I feel no qualms when it comes to moving a piece on.

Citizen Eco Drive AT4000-02E (for gardening)
Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE