The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:24 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
"Timeless", Timeless Looking" , "Never go out of style"... I see these terms commonly used on watches' reviews. While these terms are conveniently used by everyone, sometimes it gets a little confusing what the word, "timeless" really means on a watch. One common answer is that the watch will still look like a new model many years down the road. Or the new model will look almost the same like the old model many years ago that it's hard to differentiate. Or they never go "out of style". But that can be very subjective.

IMO I think a watch is only classified as truly timeless if the company is still producing exactly the same watch 50 years later, or for an infinite amount of time. But that is almost impossible because if they do that almost every man on the street might eventually own the same watch one day, unless if they produce the watch for a long long time but limits the production amount to a very small quantity everytime. But what companies normally do is that they will launch a new version of the same model, make some changes to the new model and claims that it is still in production since it still bears the same name. So if I were ask how old the Navi 01 is, should I say it's 5 years old or more than 60 years old? It's still very recognizable a Navi but I don't think it's difficult to differentiate the current Navi as compared to the one 60 years ago. Does it mean that the Navi is not timeless? I think I will get bombarded for the next 1 mth if I say that.

Another good example will be the Chronomat. Many feel that Chronomat 01 will go "out of style" due to it's "dated looking" fonts on the bezel. But it is still a classic descendant containing all the core DNAs of the Chronomat. The Chronograph with the Tachymeter at the circumference, the onion crown, the four raised rider tabs, and elapsed time bezel, the iconic Sec hand, etc. Well a few enhancements as compared to the very first Chronomat produced in 1984, but still very recognizable a Chronomat. The Chronomat line having being produced for 30 years and is still in production, do I say that it's timeless or only the Chronomat 01 will go out of style because of the fonts while the rest of the Chronomats are timeless? What if, I mean what if, Breitling is still producing it with the Buck roger bezel another 20 years down the road? The Evo is timeless looking to most, but it has been discontinued, but the Chronomat line is still in production, so has it gone out of style, or it is still classified a timeless watch since the Chronomat line is still in production?

What about the sub then? Still in production after many years, but old versions discontinued and many new versions launched over the years. Still many visible changes as compared to the old model, such as the use of ceramic on the bezel that causes the current versions to look more outstanding than the old versions. But whether the current Sub C or the old subs, nobody will agree that they are not timeless pieces.

I would like to hear your views what defines a timeless watch? Is it a watch that if you will never grow tiresome of the design, which can be subjective, or it is the sentimental value that defines it, or as long as the company is still producing the entire line for an infinite time, or is there a benchmark for defining a timeless watch?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:54 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
here is the definition

Timeless
(adjective)
not affected by the passage of time or changes in fashion.

Thread closed

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:17 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 1005 posts
Is it really closed? Why couldn't this be a topic starter for some conversation? I'm confused as to why it was closed abruptly?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:33 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 51 posts
IMO "timeless" has nothing to do with the number of years a watch is in production. For me it's more a question of style. When you look at a watch and you can't really date it based on its visual characteristics then it's timeless.
The font used on the Chronomats is a good example for not being timeless. It will always be looking like the eary 21st century. Or the use of trendy new materials like rubber or ceramics. With that said, I think most tool watches will probably not be timeless. Timeless watches (in terms of style) look more like e.g. Baume&Mercier's Clifton or Montblanc's Star Date.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:54 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 1005 posts
Ok I see now, sorry for getting all crazy lol. Timeless is subjective to each individual, but part of it has to stay iconic over a longer period of time. Navitimer would fall under this category for me, also Crosswind and even Steelfish and Seawolf. There are timeless designs from almost every luxury watch brand, but it's really what the individual decides is timeless.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:03 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

gbuergisser wrote:
IMO "timeless" has nothing to do with the number of years a watch is in production. For me it's more a question of style. When you look at a watch and you can't really date it based on its visual characteristics then it's timeless.
The font used on the Chronomats is a good example for not being timeless. It will always be looking like the eary 21st century. Or the use of trendy new materials like rubber or ceramics. With that said, I think most tool watches will probably not be timeless. Timeless watches (in terms of style) look more like e.g. Baume&Mercier's Clifton or Montblanc's Star Date.

Ceramics is indeed in trend but IMO it's here to stay given it's popularity and the many benefits that it adds to a watch. I can't say the same for rubber though. I guess I am one of the very few to disagree your statement on the Chronomat font because IMO it is old styled and modern at the same time. I personally feel that timeless watches are something that are produced for a long long time because company still produces them as long as they are still in demand. When they are still in demand it kind of means they are "still in fashion". Well very subjective IMO but your answer serves a great reference to me;) Thks

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:07 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

MattC wrote:
Ok I see now, sorry for getting all crazy lol. Timeless is subjective to each individual, but part of it has to stay iconic over a longer period of time. Navitimer would fall under this category for me, also Crosswind and even Steelfish and Seawolf. There are timeless designs from almost every luxury watch brand, but it's really what the individual decides is timeless.

I guess that seems an accurate answer :lingsrock:

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:09 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
A design that will stand the test of time. The Sub is still my choice for a timeless watch. The Datejust and the IWC 7 day Portuguese are other ones I find timeless, and thus why I decided to make them part of my collection.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:57 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 5 posts
I always figured that when my watch stops running it is out of time or timeless.

Elgin-Hamilton 37500 (Aircraft Clock)

chr147 likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:35 pm 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
Yes.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:47 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
Something which looks as stylish and "up to the minute" fifty years after production as it did new. The Sub, the Navi, the FF, the Reverso, the Speedy. They've hardly changed and yet still look awesome. I guess you can't say something is timeless until it's been around to stand the test. I'd say the new Chronomat fails at least at that level.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 20 posts
boogiebot wrote:
here is the definition

Timeless
(adjective)

Thread closed

Thanks Webster!! :poke:

Timeless can also mean 'archaic' and we've seen our fair share of those in the vintage forum.

When I think of a timeless design two things come to mind, Submariner and JLC Master (control, chrono, ultra thin etc). The IWC portofino could be a close third.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:00 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

mfserge wrote:
boogiebot wrote:
here is the definition

Timeless
(adjective)

Thread closed

Thanks Webster!! :poke:

Timeless can also mean 'archaic' and we've seen our fair share of those in the vintage forum.

When I think of a timeless design two things come to mind, Submariner and JLC Master (control, chrono, ultra thin etc). The IWC portofino could be a close third.

HEY!!! That's MR webster to you!

Lol

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:11 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 20 posts
boogiebot wrote:

Lol

Don't be a dic.........tionary lol

To me, Timeless means clean, simple, and elegant. Each person will have their own criteria for defining a timeless watch. The timeless sports watch for me is the sub and the timeless dress watch is the JLC Master moon ultra thin. Game over.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:12 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

mfserge wrote:
boogiebot wrote:

Lol

Don't be a dic.........tionary lol

To me, Timeless means clean, simple, and elegant. Each person will have their own criteria for defining a timeless watch. The timeless sports watch for me is the sub and the timeless dress watch is the JLC Master moon ultra thin. Game over.

Hahahhahaha ok now that was a good one!