Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:34 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
Novacastrian wrote:
Something which looks as stylish and "up to the minute" fifty years after production as it did new. The Sub, the Navi, the FF, the Reverso, the Speedy. They've hardly changed and yet still look awesome. I guess you can't say something is timeless until it's been around to stand the test. I'd say the new Chronomat fails at least at that level.

20 more years to go then..lol... :uplaugh:

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:13 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
mjfur wrote:
I always figured that when my watch stops running it is out of time or timeless.

Is it a mistake to repair a timeless watch to make it timely?

Just trying to understand............

Desert Hiker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:29 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
It can mean; timeless inferring to seminal. In that, the original work which influences later developments. The item that started it all & we are asked to accept this as the originator. Timeless immortalised.

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:40 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 1 post
Only a manufacturer's decision to stick with a design and a history of sales define timeless.

The watch in the right is perhaps as timeless as a Breitling can be.

The watch on the left... Not so much. Not so much at all...

sent from my Note 3

Brizzybrad likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:33 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
For me the Navitimer is t h e timeless watch, since 1952 been on the market and still very well sold- i dont know.. maybe just the simple and yet precise design?

I just love looking at it! :wowzers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:28 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

ffeelliixx wrote:
Only a manufacturer's decision to stick with a design and a history of sales define timeless.

The watch in the right is perhaps as timeless as a Breitling can be.

The watch on the left... Not so much. Not so much at all...

sent from my Note 3

Concur completely. Hope the design on the left is lost to time. Not my cup of tea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rolex Submariner, no date

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:00 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 3 posts
Watch without hands or that can't be read. As someone said above, a broken watch, but of course it could be correct twice a day if it's stopped.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:40 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 27 posts
Timeless for me is a mix of "classic looking" and "here to stay". Still looks good today after many years, not influenced by trends and fashions, more lke a trend setter actually.

examples: Patek Philippe Calatrava, Vacheron Constantin Patrimony, Submariner, Seamaster, Chronomat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:14 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

VicLeChic wrote:
Timeless for me is a mix of "classic looking" and "here to stay". Still looks good today after many years, not influenced by trends and fashions, more lke a trend setter actually.

examples: Patek Philippe Calatrava, Vacheron Constantin Patrimony, Submariner, Seamaster, Chronomat

I Concur. Everyone knows what timeless means, but yet still subjective. I believe a plain simple 3 hand dial is timeless to most, which I have to agree too, but if that's the definition of timeless, then it's pretty simple and easy to design or find a timeless watch isn't it? Such designs are everywhere, from the cheapest Casio to the most expensive PP. I guess there is a difference between "timeless design" and "timeless". Quite easy to find a timeless design watch but harder to find a timeless watch.

Using vintage watches as example, many members here have posted photos of their vintage pieces. For many of them, one look at the designs tells you the age of the pieces because we don't see such designs now. Therefore IMO they are "out" and not timeless designs since we are able to date the watch. If watch brands launch new pieces with those old designs I don't think they are going to sell as those designs are not relevant in the current era anymore. But the vintage pieces look so cool and are highly desirable collectable pieces. Why? Because those pieces come with histories and their stories. Their age tells you that they survived the test of time and even though old, they are still running and functioning like the latest model that was just launched yesterday. Those, IMO are not "timeless design" but timeless watches.

Another example of timeless IMO is what VicLeChic mentioned, "Trend setter" and "here to stay". Setting a new design era and being used for an infinite time after that. I love my Chronomat 01 so much because besides being the first head to toe Breitling, this is one of very few in this era where a watch brand creates a new design element in the horology world. How they play around with geometry, different fonts and different textures on the dial to create a transformation in impression as light plays over it. I wouldn't say the design is completely new as most design elements are following the DNA from its predecessor. But the new design elements that they adopted made the watch immediately recognizable and original without losing its identity. Whether u like it or not, it was the spotlight and drew strong attention and comments on it when it was launched. Is it timeless? As some commented, it needs to survive the test of time.

IMO the Navi 01 is an example of timeless design but not timeless yet. Timeless design because its design pretty much follows the originator. Not timeless because besides having the same design and name as the originator, it is actually not exactly the same watch. It is a descendant of the design but not originator. However it is the first in-house Navi, which most likely will fall into the timeless range in time to come.

More examples of "timeless" can be found in the world of luxury bags. I would say the Hermes Kelly and Birkins Bag, the Chanel classic bags are good examples of being both "timeless design" and timeless. Original design. Launched for many years but still forever in trend and ladies are still queuing for them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:17 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 4 posts
Boring. Anything with distinctive style (except for perhaps some base Panerai that don't look too different from 50 years ago) are generally staid and uninteresting. That's sort of by definition.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:09 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 17 posts
Rolex Oyster perpetual Datejust is to me a "timeless" piece and for the Breitling the Navitimer regardless of movement from the old to new B01 movement. These two watches I would categories them as such "timeless". Both time pieces from old to the new are distinguishable in every facet of changes thoughout the years, albeit very slight.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:06 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
I really don't think the chronomat is timeless at all, that's a big part of me selling mind recently. When breitling change them which they do the change is pretty drastic, especially when you look at a submariner or gmt they are timeless to me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:45 pm 
Banned
Banned

'timeless watch' would be a watch that would still be stunning in years to come... people would still want to own it years later

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:55 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

blaze001 wrote:
'timeless watch' would be a watch that would still be stunning in years to come... people would still want to own it years later

How do you define "stunning" and what do you mean by "people would stil want to own it"? It is still subjective and there is no watch in this world where every single man would want to own.

I have given up searching for an answer of the definition of a timeless watch, because there isn't. If u don't get tired of a watch, if the watch is sentimental to you, if you will never ever want to sell the watch, that is a timeless watch to you. It can be a few thousand dollars watch, or it can be a less than $100 Casio watch.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:01 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
n.w.a1978 wrote:
I really don't think the chronomat is timeless at all, that's a big part of me selling mind recently. When breitling change them which they do the change is pretty drastic, especially when you look at a submariner or gmt they are timeless to me

It depends on the version of the Chronomat, I think this one will look pretty good a few years down the road.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463