Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Govberg and Tag event
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:48 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
I had once again, the opportunity to hang out with Danny Govberg and George at there event they hosted for Tag. There was only 8 people there in a small room, so it was extremely exclusive and hangs on for some amazing time pieces. That is right, I said it... Tag is putting out some new technology that no other brand is doing. Each watch that I held was $50,000-$235,000 and most likely wont be found at your local dealer! I personally used to think of Tag as an entry level brand, but not anymore! That was the overal point of this event as well, to show off the never seen before pieces and to get people to start to see the brand differently and not just as a entry level brand. Danny even mentioned when he held the $235,000 Tourbillon, "I think I found my new favorite piece". I was stunning!

Big shout out and thanks to the crew at Govbergs and hope to be at the next one!

:lingsrock:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:02 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 1 post
I'd love to see what they are doing, but I don't currently look very favorably on the brand. My Aquaracer kept worse time than any other automatic I've ever owned despite multiple services, and the glasses and cell phones IMO detract from the watch heritage. But I'll look forward to seeing what comes along.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:30 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

The opportunity to use this comes around only about once a year.

:uselesspics:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:42 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
nr123 wrote:
The opportunity to use this comes around only about once a year.

:uselesspics:

:yeahthat This thread is a huge tease w/o pics and info on this new technology!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:58 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Haha I know right... There was a gentleman there who is a blogger on TZ (I believe), he snapped a bunch of photos so maybe you can keep an eye out there.

One of the watches shown was featured one of the days at Basel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:04 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Tag has had a lot of press this year for their new haute horlogerie pieces. The 1/2000th of a second chrono (or 5/10,000ths as Tag calls it) has had a huge amount and the tourbillon was in one of the magazines recently - it's actually a double tourbillon including the world's fastest tourbillon. Of course their 'mikro' technology (mikro timer, mikro girder) have also been the focus of attention because they are different from what else is out there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:11 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Roffensian wrote:
Tag has had a lot of press this year for their new haute horlogerie pieces. The 1/2000th of a second chrono (or 5/10,000ths as Tag calls it) has had a huge amount and the tourbillon was in one of the magazines recently - it's actually a double tourbillon including the world's fastest tourbillon. Of course their 'mikro' technology (mikro timer, mikro girder) have also been the focus of attention because they are different from what else is out there.

Had all of those in my hand at the dinner event... Truly amazing!

Like I said, I was never a Tag Guy, but I really would consider in the near future!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:39 pm 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

Theyve been doing this for a few years, but until they start offering some higher end pieces for realistic prices, it doesnt mean much to me. Having said that, their super high end stuff is pretty neat.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:38 pm 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
I was looking at a new panda twin register Carrera yesterday, but in the end it was $5100 for something that struck me a bit north of Hamilton. They are doing a lot with some amazing R&D but is it all for show is my question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:12 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
sharkman wrote:
I was looking at a new panda twin register Carrera yesterday, but in the end it was $5100 for something that struck me a bit north of Hamilton. They are doing a lot with some amazing R&D but is it all for show is my question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that it's about trying to reposition themselves. They have done a great job of casting off the stigma of being nothing more than a marketing machine 10 or so years ago, but they do still have the reputation of being at the lower end of the market and pieces like this and their 'in house' (albeit that is a dodgy claim as it's basically a Seiko movement) are going to try and move them up market and up price.

Will it work, dunno, but has to be worth trying.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:11 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

When speaking with the head of r&d, they are trying to only do things that have not been done before.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:26 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

mrcheatle wrote:
When speaking with the head of r&d, they are trying to only do things that have not been done before.

That's great, but what's the point in doing that if you can't make money off it....I can understand if they price the watch at around $10k or up to $20k, but after that...would seem they are doing something cool, but is it even worthwhile for the company to do it?

Or do you think that it's more so to show what they CAN do, and that brings more desire to their other, more affordable models?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:34 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

nr123 wrote:
mrcheatle wrote:

That's great, but what's the point in doing that if you can't make money off it....I can understand if they price the watch at around $10k or up to $20k, but after that...would seem they are doing something cool, but is it even worthwhile for the company to do it?

Or do you think that it's more so to show what they CAN do, and that brings more desire to their other, more affordable models?

I believe that it is more to show where the brand is heading... And once again, to consider them a serious contender in the near future. From what the gentlemen from Tag were saying, afew big time CEO's have already bought the $230,000 gold watch. Like I mentioned above, after being part of such a cool event I can honestly say I do have a new appreciation for Tag as I see where they are headed.