The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:53 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
So today I took the morning/afternoon off to hang out with two friends. After a light lunch, what else to do than to go check out watches? So we headed out to a local AD in LA and I got to take a deep look at the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms.

First of all, being Blancpain and all that history behind it, I was very intrigued by the FF and also planning this as my next major acquisition for early next year and I wanted to check it out in the flesh.

The AD had the stainless steel and the "Dark Knight". At first glance, it's got a good size. As mentioned before by other members here, the lugs are short and the 45mm wears actually quite nice. The canvas rubber strap is soft as butter. The entire watch wears beautifully. But here where I was a little disappointed by two things.

First, the bezel turn. Literally and I mean literally had no "heft" or the feel of a superb Swiss timepiece. Felt like a cheap ratchet. Almost a plastic feel in a way. Can't really describe it.

Second, upon closer inspection of the Dark Knight model which had the exhibition back, I checked out the movement and was a bit disappointed that the movement was hardly decorated AT ALL. Nothing. Not even stripes. Wish I took some pics. I can understand the whole "utility watch" bit but even for a 14k timepiece????

Am I overreacting or am I expecting too much? Kinda made me second guess my next buy with this piece. :?

On a lighter note, my tastes just got more expensive. Two words. Breguet Tradition. What...a...watch.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:47 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Funnily enough a friend of mine from London was also underwhelmed when he saw an Fifty Fathoms in person. I've only seen the steel version myself so can't comment on the decoration on the movement, but I've always personally been very impressed with the FF.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:15 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 20 posts
I thought it was a good looking movement. Not decoated nearly as much as a GO but still a nice movement with a 5 day power reserve and entirely hand assembled by Blancpain.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:40 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
The Rose Gold Leman Dual Time I had, had a very impressive looking movement.

As for Sergio's pic above, about the only thing they could have added was perlage or blued screws, but does that make much of a difference. Seems like BP was focusing on the rotor to carry out the Dark Knight theme.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:03 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Thought just crossed my mind this morning...

Do you guys think maybe it's the sapphire and not metal that gives it sort of a lighter "click" feeling when turning the bezel?

Good point about the screws and perlage Mr. Shark.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:11 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

jlee5050 wrote:
Thought just crossed my mind this morning...

Do you guys think maybe it's the sapphire and not metal that gives it sort of a lighter "click" feeling when turning the bezel?

Good point about the screws and perlage Mr. Shark.

No, I don't believe so. I heard that BP had a few issues with the bezel spring on the FF. It has a bit of a plastic-ie sound to it when rotated.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:16 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 9 posts
jlee5050 wrote:
Am I overreacting or am I expecting too much? Kinda made me second guess my next buy with this piece. :?

When a watch is priced at $14k, I don't think there is a thing as "expecting too much." If I didn't love absolutely everything about a watch at that price, it would not warrant a purchase - period. Whether others are bothered by the same things is beside the point.

In contrast, I finally had a chance the other day to see the Rolex DJII with sunray rhodium dial and diamond hour markers. I almost made a fool out of myself by lusting so openly in front of the salesperson. Now that's a watch I love unreservedly...except for the $11k price tag. However, if I can think of one watch that would tempt me to break the $10k mark, that would be the one. My point is, at this price point, that's the kind of feeling I would have to have if I were to consider an actual purchase: visceral desire that I feel in my gut. Anything less would be unacceptable. So no, I don't think you're overreacting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:57 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

I've been in the market for a diver for sometime, as I don't have one yet. I'm still on the fence with this one. Might be one of those pieces where I have to see it and feel one more time.

Personally I think the watch looks awesome. I didn't want to take it off my wrists. And versus a cookie-cutter Submariner (nothing wrong with that though :wink: ) I thought Blancpain's sweeping second hand with the subtle red tip looked much better sweeping on the dial than the Sub. The FF gives a much smoother perception of the hand sweep, probably because it looks less top heavy too. Just wish I could play with the bezel one more time.

In terms of the movement, been thinking again I know Blancpain makes superb movements and decoration isn't everything, but as Shark mentioned, it would've been nice if some blued screws, perlage, or striping were tossed in a bit. But on the SS model, you can't even see the movement anyway so who cares...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:48 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

jlee5050 wrote:
In terms of the movement, been thinking again I know Blancpain makes superb movements and decoration isn't everything, but as Shark mentioned, it would've been nice if some blued screws, perlage, or striping were tossed in a bit. But on the SS model, you can't even see the movement anyway so who cares...

I believe the newer brushed version has a display back with blue screws.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:52 pm 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

sharkman wrote:

As for Sergio's pic above, about the only thing they could have added was perlage or blued screws, but does that make much of a difference. Seems like BP was focusing on the rotor to carry out the Dark Knight theme.

Same here. The steel Leman I had had a nicer looking movement imo, and that watch retails for around 10k.

Jlee, which store did you check out?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:24 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

RJRJRJ wrote:
sharkman wrote:

Same here. The steel Leman I had had a nicer looking movement imo, and that watch retails for around 10k.

Jlee, which store did you check out?

I went to Feldmar on Pico. First time going there. Heard good things about them. The entire store was undergoing renovations. Have you seen the Breguet "room"? Beautiful....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:09 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 4 posts
Doing my own familiarization with the Fifty Fathoms, though I have a 6.5" wrist and am a bit scared by the 45mm case (and I wish it had a display back...).

Did you ever pull the trigger on it and if so, what're your thoughts?