The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:32 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I just read over on WUS an interesting post about IWC's non-in-house movements. I guy wrote in and asked about how the fact that ETA have stopped selling ebauches has affected IWC's watches, being as IWC were renowned for highly modifying the stock ETA. Now we all know about ETA no longer providing ebauches to non-Swatch Group companies, and we all know that Breitling now essentially make their own ETA parts by virtue of the fact that the patents have long expired on the ETA designs. However, the answer as far as IWC was concerned was quite "interesting" (to me at least). I'm quoting member akit110 directly here, and the reply was as follows -

"Yes, ETA is no longer providing their movements as kits to any non Swatch company. So now the top chronometer grade 2892 movements are modified to IWC specs by ETA and then sent to IWC for placement into their Aquatimers, Mark XVIs etc. There was a lot of controversy about this on the watch fora just a few months ago. I think the extensive modifications are still there over the standard chronometer grade 2892, however, the photos I have seen of the movement suggest the movement is no longer gilt".

Now I'm sure the modifications are all there and being made by ETA, but am I the only one that would be more than a little irritated by the fact that IWC essentially just case up a movement that is completely untouched by IWC? At least Breitling have made the investment in manufacturing equipment to produce their "own" ETA pattern movements that become the B13's and B17's etc. For IWC to just case up a completely finished movement, and then charge what they do, really bugs me.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:36 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I agree Driver8.

This was one of the reasons that Swatch Group stopped supplying ebauches - they wanted to get more customization business, but I am sure that they expected that business to come from the smaller firms who coulsn't afford to invest in production technology but still wanted modified movements. I am shocked that IWC decided to essentially outsource all non in-house movement work to ETA, especially given the other options for obtaining ETA designs.

It really makes you wonder where the value is in these pieces, very disappointing move.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:37 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 0 post
That is sort of a petty/cheap move on behalf of IWC. When did this go into effect?

I have had my eye on the AT2000 and Port Chrono, and while I dont think this would completely turn me off of the models, it does make me wonder whether I should look at pre-ETA years.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:43 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 0 post
I wonder if they decided it was work better left to ETA after the caliber 51111.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:50 pm 
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
JustinFournier wrote:
I wonder if they decided it was work better left to ETA after the caliber 51111.

Geez you guys are killing me! :guns: Portuguese 7 Day and Aquatimer Chrono FS - MINT!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:02 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 20 posts
As soon as I hear shark say 'for sale' I swoop in like batman responding to the bat signal. Even with all the movement issues on the 7day, I'll roll the dice.

Driver...I agree, that irritates me as well that they just slap the movement in the case and throw a price tag of $4400 on the Aquatimer 2000 without doing any modification. This is OT but I bought an IWC Yacht Club a few months ago, and when I first put it on the movement would make a ratchet-like sound just like a mechanics ratchet wrench. It was very loud and noticeable anytime the rotor would move. How could a $12,600 watch have such an issue? IWC said it was because the movement needed to be broken in! WHAT? Needless to say I'm a bit sour on IWC....and very glad that my AD gave me a refund.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:30 pm 

Liked in: 33 posts
mfserge wrote:
As soon as I hear shark say 'for sale' I swoop in like batman responding to the bat signal. Even with all the movement issues on the 7day, I'll roll the dice.

Driver...I agree, that irritates me as well that they just slap the movement in the case and throw a price tag of $4400 on the Aquatimer 2000 without doing any modification. This is OT but I bought an IWC Yacht Club a few months ago, and when I first put it on the movement would make a ratchet-like sound just like a mechanics ratchet wrench. It was very loud and noticeable anytime the rotor would move. How could a $12,600 watch have such an issue? IWC said it was because the movement needed to be broken in! WHAT? Needless to say I'm a bit sour on IWC....and very glad that my AD gave me a refund.

Seriously I really enjoy my Portuguese 7 Day(+5 secs/day BTW) and ATC. When I bought the Aquatimer I knew I was getting a reworked Valjoux movement. It doesn't matter a lot to me if it was reworked by IWC or subject to their specifications by a Swatch subsidiary.

I'm not qualified to comment on the price point propriety.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:11 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Although I have to admit I still have a soft spot for IWC the brand, I am starting to lose all respect for IWC the organisation.

I do not mind if a company outsources their movement decoration/upgrades or have them done directely at ETA, but to charge that kind of money for something so mundane is unacceptable. Even if this is a temporary step while they find an in house solution, the fact that they are ready to take advantage of their reputation by passing inferior watches as something else makes me think we are looking at a company that will eventually head the Longines route.

Maybe I am being a bit too dramatic, but IWC management need to get their thumbs out of their &^% and start taking their customer base seriousely.