It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Omega PloProf Review
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:02 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Here is one new addition I know Driver is sure to approve of :mrgreen:

OK so I just noticed something very disturbing about myself, it seems the more I hate a watch the very first time I see it the more likely I will fall in love :roll:

Hated Panerai==> obsessed with Panerai
Hated Bell&Ross==> Had to get a Bell&Ross
Hated the IWC BI Bracelet==> Had to get the Bracelet

And to add the list, I disliked the Omega PloProf, thought it was interesting but just could not pull the trigger as I thought I would never wear it. I slowly began to fall in love with its quirky, ugly, very functional design. My AD sold me an IWC BP recently and said I could get any Omega I wanted for 35% off, hence the PloProf!

I do not have my lighting equipment with me so I must apologize for the Roffensian-grade pictures, and again for the non Roffensian-grade review, but here we go:

The watch has tremendous history, here is the beginning paragraph of a PloProf introduction:

"
Throughout the 1960s the sport of Skin Diving (now more usually known as Scuba Diving) had been developing. The equipment and tools for this sport developed from the military and commercial need to work in the oceans and seas around the world. This commercial need, in industries such as Oil and Shipping, created organisations of Professional Divers. One of the major diving operators of the time was Comex who, as an oil research firm, needed tools that their Diver's lives would rely on. In those days computers that could calculate the needs of a diver like the wrist mounted dive computers of today would have taken up a whole room, so the divers relied on the one mechanical device from which most of the risk factors of their dive could be mentally computed, a watch. The watch makers recognising this need, jumped headlong into the fray to build an ‘ultra water-resistant’ (sometimes termed ‘super water-resistant’) watch for Professional divers and so watches like the Rolex SeaDweller and the Omega Seamaster Professional 600m/2000ft were born."

and a bit more
"Developed in conjunction with Comex and the legendary Jacques Cousteau, Omega conceived and developed what was probably the first waterproof watch designed and built solely for the diving professional.
The watch took 4 years to come to the market after extensive testing and arrived in 1970. It was nicknamed PloProf by the French speaking development team and derives from the French term PLOngeur PROFessionnel (Professional Diver)."

What I most like about this watch is that it is uncompromising in its faith to the original, it looks exactly the same with the difference being updating caliber, materials, and water resistance. Most watches out there today are designed to be pretty and alluring to a market segment, Breitling's Galactic range comes to mind, this watch however makes no apologies for what it is and stays true to its heritage, I like that. Allot.

As soon as you put the watch on, you know you have an instrument on your wrist. It is built like a tank and handles like an industrial tool. This feel is only enhanced by its sharp case edges, super thick locked uni directional bezel, and locked crown protector. In contrast the watch has a finer finish than on my other Omegas and the shiny marker edges and sapphire bezel remind you that this is a luxury modern interpretation of a tool classic.

The signature orange anodized bezel security release button and orange anodized minute hand add a striking visual element, they add interest nicely across the gorgeous black lacquered dial which does not cause reflections at all.

The clasp is excellent but very thick, which might be an issue for desk jockeys such as myself, as it promises to be a scratch magnet. The finish and design is reminiscent of the watch though.

The clasp has both a micro adjustment and extension mechanisms, which I find to be very useful and very well done! The strap equivalent to the deepsea mechanism I would say.

The caseback is very very cool, it is a two piece job and shows excellent craftsmanship! I didnt know Omega had it in them!

The packaging of the watch is also a cool mix between what a tool would come in and a luxury watch box, zippered leather and cloth in a black cardboard box, you gotta see this in person though

Finally the white luminova produces a very cool and VERY bright blue lume, will get pics when I have my equipment.

All in all the watch is AWESOME, dont know if it will get morn much as it is an out there watch and cant be worn to the office but it is an amazing casual piece and a fine addition to any collection.

Check out these Omega pins my AD gave me:

Post subject: Re: Omega PloProf Review
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:35 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 0 post
Christ Altair. You have been busy mate. :D

The Ploprof is such an amazing piece filled with so much history.

Your collection has taken some significant leaps recently.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:53 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks Jay, yeah pretty happy with where the ol' collection is these days. Damn near pulled the trigger on a 311 today as I got a pretty good deal, but the annoying voice of reason reappeared at the last moment.

I am actually now hell bent on downgrading the collection, need to get rid of at least three pieces. Probably going to be the 6.75, Chronomat, and Railmaster.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:10 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I'd keep the Railmaster if I were you. Ultimate understated timepiece.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:14 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Zirotti wrote:
I'd keep the Railmaster if I were you. Ultimate understated timepiece.

I dont know about ultimate, but I definitely get you and agree. But I do not wear dress watches that often and now with the DJII it just is not going to get any wrist time, and I just cant stand having watches just lying around.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:36 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

.. not when the funds can be put toward the next purchase. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:47 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Jay wrote:
Christ Altair. You have been busy mate. :D

:yeahthat
You're an example to us all. :lol:

I'm supposed to be picking up one new watch next week but now I'm not sure that's enough.

Very cool watch, and your pics show a lot of the details nicely.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:17 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Very nice, I'm a big fan of the PloProf.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:42 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Holy smoke Altair! :shock: Put that credit/debit/charge-card down and walk away slowly! :lol: Man, you've been buying some amazing pieces lately!

So let me just get this straight - in the last couple of weeks you've picked up a AP ROO Safari, an IWC BP, and Omega Ploprof, and been given a Rolex DJII???? Awesome work my friend! :bow:

And to think my Ploprof is still festering away in my AD's safe awaiting the final payment! :lol: Your collection is starting to look like a definitive who's who of high-end watchmaking. Truly excellent.

Oh and the Ploprof is indeed a superb watch...... as is the BP! :thumbsup:

PS - And those Omega pins are damn cool too!

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:50 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
Driver8 wrote:
Holy smoke Altair! :shock: Put that credit/debit/charge-card down and walk away slowly! :lol: Man, you've been buying some amazing pieces lately!

So let me just get this straight - in the last couple of weeks you've picked up a AP ROO Safari, an IWC BP, and Omega Ploprof, and been given a Rolex DJII???? Awesome work my friend! :bow:

Don't forget the UN and B&R. What a phenomenal month!

Congratulations again Altair, I'd be lying if I didn't say I was more than a little jealous. I'm glad someone's having watch fun.

Great review and fantastic to hear some history. I'm coming around to the Ploprof. If there's a better example of a tool watch then I don't know what it is but at the same time it's quite attractive. Great pics.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:16 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks all, loving this beast!

Driver8 wrote:

And to think my Ploprof is still festering away in my AD's safe awaiting the final payment! :lol: Your collection is starting to look like a definitive who's who of high-end watchmaking. Truly excellent.

Oh and the Ploprof is indeed a superb watch...... as is the BP! :thumbsup:

PS - And those Omega pins are damn cool too!

Thanks Driver, I am trying to put down the ol' CC but it is so hard! :roll:

I am sure you will have that PloProf on your big wrists soon, and I am sure you will love it! Fantastic piece!

The pins are very cool, but the problem with them is that they have me in a Speedmaster mentality now :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:47 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Great piece, and really cool pins. My fiance would have taken away my credit card about 5 watches ago :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:52 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 7 posts
Another great watch Altair although I have to agree with Driver, get the scissors out quick! :wink:

Cheers

Super Avenger(White)

Moved on:
Montbrillant Legende(Silver)
Panerai 312

SOHC 125th Ann. LE(Silver)
Navitimer World(Pearl)
Panerai 441

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:03 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

That collection of pins is a neat addition.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:04 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Very, very nice review. Makes me go hmmm.... :lol:. Naah, wife's gonna kill me! :mrgreen: