Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Found the Rolex I want
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:21 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
I had posted a while back about really wanting a datejust for its simplicity. I took a min. after lunch today (as a huge Rolex dealer was in the same parking lot) to go look at them. Soon after looking at the datejust I had changed my mind to the Turn-o-graph with a white dial. It looks a bit sportier than the Datejust but not a lot different. While looking the dealer mentioned the Milgauss. I did not think much of it as she said they were hard to find and collectors were snapping them up.

So I get home tonight and decide to surf Rolex.com and take a closer look at this Mulgauss. I have fallen in love!!!!!!!!! I will be ordering soon.

Let me know what you guys think.

http://www.rolex.com/en/collection/role ... 16400-0001

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:25 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Uhm... you shoudn't be buying a :rolex from a guy on a parking lot... :huh :nana: Just kidding dude!

Milgauss is different.... Go for it if YOU like it! :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:52 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

FUNNYY!!!!! :nana: It is actually TIVOL Jewelry. If you have ever seen one of their stores you would be very impressed. Nice joke though!! Do you have any expierience with this watch? Do you know the current MSRP? The dealer told me today that Rolex is doing another price hike on March 1. Any truth to this? I was looking at them last year and they said the same thing about Oct. 1. It is starting to sound like a sales ploy, although I do see what the markets are doing on metal and gems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
They price hike all the time, it is part of their marketing strategy... it creates urgency in the consumer, and creates perceived value. But they do make beautiful watches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
Of the three models they display in your link, I like the green sapphire/black dial version the most. Nice and clean piece, but I'd probably miss the date function. Or maybe that's just something you'll get used to... There's no date in my vintage Precision and I find that a little bit disturbing every now and then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:13 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
breitlingsource wrote:
They price hike all the time, it is part of their marketing strategy... it creates urgency in the consumer, and creates perceived value. But they do make beautiful watches.

:yeahthat Rolex actually produce a huge number of watches in a year and yet certain models are always seen to be "hard to come by", or with a huge waiting list. In the same way that they regularly hike the prices, they also restrict supply slightly to lend an air of exclusivity. Yes they are beautifully made watches, but whole "superlative" marketing thing just grates on me a little.

PS - Don't you find the second hand on the Milgauss a little bit too wacky? Looks like something the comic book villain Electro might have! :wink:

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:30 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Quote:
"Driver8...but whole "superlative" marketing thing just grates on me a little.

Why? Do you really think that a BMW is the Ultimate Driving Machine? No more so than my Audi IMHO (And no, I'm not getting in to a battle about who's car is best etc. - just using the marketing slogan as an example)

Someone once coined the phrase "probably the finest Lager in the World" for something that frankly taste like gnats piss - and yes, I regularly drink gnats piss :wink:

I think we have to try to look through the superlatives and the jargon, and make our own decisions based on experience - our own and other peoples, with whatever technical details we can get hold of or understand.

In their advertising, Panerai used to use the fact that their watches, originally produced for the Italian Navy, were in fact classified as 'secret' - what b**** difference does that make?

Sorry - getting off-track here a little - simply trying to make the point that we don't have to believe all we hear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:55 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

sportback wrote:
Quote:
"Driver8...but whole "superlative" marketing thing just grates on me a little.

Why? Do you really think that a BMW is the Ultimate Driving Machine? No more so than my Audi IMHO (And no, I'm not getting in to a battle about who's car is best etc. - just using the marketing slogan as an example)

Someone once coined the phrase "probably the finest Lager in the World" for something that frankly taste like gnats piss - and yes, I regularly drink gnats piss :wink:

I think we have to try to look through the superlatives and the jargon, and make our own decisions based on experience - our own and other peoples, with whatever technical details we can get hold of or understand.

In their advertising, Panerai used to use the fact that their watches, originally produced for the Italian Navy, were in fact classified as 'secret' - what b**** difference does that make?

Sorry - getting off-track here a little - simply trying to make the point that we don't have to believe all we hear.

Of course BMW's are the ultimate driving machines. You should know I believe everything I read! :roll:

On the Rolex topic, after having owned one, I personally found it to be over-priced for what it was. (And yes before you say it, we all know that luxury watches are ALWAYS far more expensive than they should be terms of the materials used, but we accept that. Rolex however just take it a little too far in my opinion.) My point is that Rolex's consistent prices rises, restriction of supply to artifically create some kind of illusion of scarcity, coupled with generally uninspired styling and inability to "move with the times" (again, IMHO), while at the same time marketing it all as the best thing ever, just smacks of arrogance and that bugs me a little. No more than that.

However, I don't want to get into some kind of Rolex-bashing debate on here. Just an opinion.....

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:11 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Well what do you think about Panerai? They deliberately restrict their supply, the dealers are only 'allowed' to order one or at most two of any given model PER YEAR, and even when it's ordered, it can take upwards of a year to actually get to wear the watch.

I think to some extent they all do this, but all you have to do is look at the production figures for the main brands - Panerai produced about 50,000 watches last year (give or take a few) while Rolex were into the millions - does this make them better or worse, in terms of marketing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:23 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

But as you say, Panerai only produce 50,000 compared to Rolex's millions, so by that rationale Panerai ARE more rare and exclusive.

I think I'm just slightly jaded by the fact that my 50th Anniversary Submariner was probably the biggest anti-climax of my watch-buying adventures to date. I'd wanted it for years, paid full retail for it, and then when I got it I found that it was actually pretty boring, had a flimsy 1970's style bracelet and clasp, and was wildly over-priced (IMHO) for what it was. And I'm now finding that as prices of the 50th Subbie on the second hand market are waning a little, there are more and more brand new ones for sale in jewellers shop windows, when before you could ALLEGEDLY "never get hold of them" due to a "3 year waiting list". Funny that..... especially considering they are sooooooooooo rare. :roll:

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:08 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

The Milgauss with the sapphire green crystal and dark face looks gorgeous. The second hand is wild and seems appropriate, considering it's antimagnetic properties. Rolex may be guilty of being overpriced, and artificially influencing valuation, but it's all part of the game. I wouldn't trade my Daytona and I'm sure it'll continue to be worth more than I paid for it new.

Ernst Benz Chronoscope, M Lacroix GMT,