The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:14 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
i have a friend who keep talking about buying a TT rolex daytona on this coming christmas. i personally went to the local dealer to check out the watch, i wasn't really empress at all may be because i'm not a big fan of rolex (excuse myself for those of you here who loves rolex) but when i was inside. there are 19 of us looking the same model and 5 of them are tourist. i was totally in shock, i couldn't believe it. the watch are too pricey but the looks is not. i even made a google search for it but i find no interest. after a week ago i went back to the same store to try it on my wrist but not even 1 rolex daytona are available, i couldn't say a word. one of the sales associate told me that they are geting hard to find specially this coming holiday. of course i wouldn't simply believe that however, i have call all the retail store but none of them are have it available. now it's really provoking me!!! why this people are so in to this rolex daytona?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:51 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

The Rolex Daytona, in the businessman world, is the ultimate watch. If you are a traveling businessman, the Daytona is suppose to be the "I made it" Watch. For normal people like us, it's just another overpriced Rolex Timepiece, but for those individuals I just described, it's their holy grail. I don't know if this is can be confirmed by anyone, but I heard a statistic that the Rolex Daytona was the highest selling Men's luxury watch in Tokyo for a number of consecutive years.

I have seen and tried on the Daytona, It is a pretty nice watch, but overall for that kind of coin people spend on it, I would think the dial should be at least 45mm, I can't believe the Daytona dial is the same size as the GMT-Master II & Sub. Before I saw the watch in the AD, I thought the dial was bigger than it actually appeared. I mean really for $15,000+ if you wore it through a shopping mall, I bet no one would notice the watch unless you were in a close quarter situation. Of course I know what other posters are going to argue, that the Daytona has the resale value, blah blah blah.

Last edited by defiancekofb on Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:01 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
With the Daytona, you either get it or you don't. There is something about it that is very desirable, its a chrono that is also very classy, it has one of the ten best chrono movements ever made, it is in short supply, and its understated.Yet yo either realy realy REALY want it or you couldn't care less.

And the model that is in high demand and impossible to find is not the TT, its the SS version. If I could find the SS at MSRP (7.9K) I would get it. But right now there is the Rolex GMT Master IIc which offers a lot more apeal to me at a much lower cost. If there is a must have Rolex right now it is definately the GMT Master IIc followed by the Sub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:18 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 2 posts
The Daytona is an oldfashioned overpriced watch, produced in enormous quantities with an average movement for asia (so nothing exclusive at all), very good marketed and has not even got a date!!! I usually try not to talk bad about other brands, like rolex, but with the daytona they found a big bunch of idiots who would spend so much money for such a crap.

BG
Thomas

By the way, have You seen the new fancy rolex dials? Thats something really uggly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:58 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thomas, are you refering to the dials found on the new GMT Master II? The ceramic one? If so the I must disagree! Oh well one man's crap is another man's gem :love:

As far as the Daytona, I do not think it is overpriced at all, in fact if it was not for the high demand and you could get a discount on MSRP it would be quite the bargain at 5K.

The lack of date is frustrating, I wish Rolex would update the Daytona and include a date feature.

Rolex do have some stinkers though, the leopard daytona is an example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:00 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Altair wrote:
Thomas, are you refering to the dials found on the new GMT Master II? The ceramic one? If so the I must disagree! Oh well one man's crap is another man's gem :love:

As far as the Daytona, I do not think it is overpriced at all, in fact if it was not for the high demand and you could get a discount on MSRP it would be quite the bargain at 5K.

The lack of date is frustrating, I wish Rolex would update the Daytona and include a date feature.

Rolex do have some stinkers though, the leopard daytona is an example.

5k for the daytona? Pass me what your smoking please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:01 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

:lol:

I said if :wink: OK maybe not 5k but you get the point.

And it has been heard of people getting the Daytona for 7.9K from ADs.

I am smoking a Cohiba Robusto actually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:56 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
I think the Daytona is a great looking piece with classic lines. The model ranges in price from $12-27,900 (Retail). In my opinion, it's a nice looking piece, but not my favorite. Cost is higher due to some models cast in white gold. I'm not a huge fan of the peice, and isn't on my list to own unless I could just buy one at a great price.

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:07 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Actually retail for the SS Daytona is 7.9K

By the way this website is great:

http://www.thewatchquote.com/Rolex-116520-PdN.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:36 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Altair wrote:
Thomas, are you refering to the dials found on the new GMT Master II? The ceramic one? If so the I must disagree!

Altair, I think Thomas is referring to the new and truly vile dials that say "Rolex, Rolex, Rolex" all over them, not the ceramic bezel on the new (and gorgeous) GMT. Trust me, the dials Thomas is talking about are truly HIDEOUS!! If you go to this link.....

http://www.rolex.com/en/#/en/xml/collec ... -new-dials

.... and then select the bottom box (shows a brown dial when you hover over it). Next select "Datejust" and cycle through the dial options you'll see what I mean! The second one with the grim looking green Rolex-wave effect would certainly turn a few heads.... and not to mention quite a few stomachs too! The 4th, 5th and 6th models are horrendous too!

With regards to the Daytona, I too think it's very over-rated. IMO it's something bought by people with too much cash who see the Rolex sign and buy the most expensive one in the shop, just because they can.

When I sold my Submariner to this independant Rolex guy, he said he'd had quite a few Daytona's in from people who had drooled over owning one for years, before eventually getting one.... and then suddenly wondering what all the fuss was about. I just think it's typical clever marketing by Rolex while simultaneously restricting supply to give the illusion of scarcity.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:30 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

LMAO damn thats a quite a few discussion about daytona. altair would you please tell what is the SS stands for? Im a little confused to what you are referring to. By the way my friend is flying to Japan to get the damn watch and I'm quite surprised but not bemused. However, as I told here japanese really love the daytona and find it difficult for my friend to get one there. Since all the Japanese probably bought all the daytonas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
I was just thinking about how we're lucky that this thread was brought up here, rather than any other board... it would be considered trolling on any of the major forums! :)

good thing we can keep it civil here.. *fingers crossed*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:10 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Check out the Daytona on gemnation.com

http://www.gemnation.com/base?processor ... le&series=

They actually tell you the retail price of it, then look at their offering price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:09 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

And they will probably sell out too, thats the thing with high demand and limited suply. I should know I deal in aged Habanos.