The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:57 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
I have had the thought in my head for a while... How come that most high end watches are from Switzerland?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:16 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
Good question......

Because they also make good cheese?

:lol:

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Easy. Switzerland is a natural resource-poor countrey and always has been which is why their professions have always been tailored to that fact. Banking, finw watches/small machines etc etc.

I am facinated why certine countries have certine professions they are best known for and in my opinion it boils down to two factors: natural resources and education.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:30 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 0 post
I thought it was because Zambia was full up....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:25 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Yes, regarding Zambia I think you're correct... :lol:

Surely, I guess that the watchmakers in the 18th century were exceptionally good in Switzerland and that their knowledge/tradition have passed down the generation. But, in my opinion, that's no reason that similar knowledge could have been passed down in communities in the French alps, the Italian alps, the German alps, the Austrian alps... Especially not when you consider their location, compared to Switzerland.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:10 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I don't think its information or knowledge being passed down from generation to generation; it’s the fact that Switzerland has an excellent PR and Marketing machine. Their Marketing machine has built the country on being synonymous with high class luxury and goods. I'm sure other countries can replicate the high quality movements of a Swiss watch, but it still would not be regarded as equal to Swiss quality because the Swiss have defined themselves as the STANDARD in watch making. For example a Rolex isn't necessarily better than a Breitling, but due to the Rolex PR machine, and a shitload of Bond flicks, a majority of people think that Rolex is the very best. It's all relative and pertains to personal opinion.

You could look at other realms of the spectrum, such as coffee. Here in the states why do more high class people opt for Starbucks oppose to Dunkin Donuts? Because star bucks built its reputation on high class taste and quality, now it doesn't necessarily mean SB is better than DD, it's just because of its reputation we perceive it as better.

You could put forth the same example for automotives, or even towns or communities. Why one town is known as better than the other? Because of it's reputation on having less crime or theft, or Why is one automotive company's products are more reliable than the other company because of it's reputation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:04 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Yes I think you have a point there. It was kind of that directions I meant by successful watchmakers in the 18th century, which both created their knowledge base and the reputation. However, you gave a much better picture of it! Thanks for the good post!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:28 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

well you cant really go to DD's for a espresso now can you? The only reason why the coffee is relatively more is because the cost to make it is more. The amount of beans used in a espresso is relatively more as compared to lets say a cup of regular coffee. I would say it has a bit to do with PR but come on when you walk into a starbucks its generally alot nicer in design, layout, etc. etc. As you can tell Im an avid starbucks goer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:11 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 2 posts
1. I hate drinking lukewarm coffee out of plastic cups, where the coffee tastes like anything else except coffee. On the other side, I was really disapointed, when I was in the US regarding coffee. One roasted bean shortly held into the hot steam....brrrrrr!!!! Terrible!
We have now 2 Starbucks here in Vienna. They are full with tourists. Bought a cup once, threw it into the next wastebin after taking half a sip. Was just disgusting.

2. Fine mechanical production started in the mountain valleys, where agricultural oriented population had to find some occupation and additional income during the snowcovered winter. In the "german" speaking part of switzerland in particular, the typical inhabitants are very narrowminded, with a small horizon. That is very helpful for beeing a good watchmaker. To this ability comes the french influence concerning design and value. This combination of abilities has primarily created the swiss watchbusiness. The neutrality during the worldwars helped to crush the competition (germany, france, italy) and good marketing helped to form the myth.
One of the most important helpers for the swiss watch myth was the american customs, who forced them to print swissmade on the dials, which was like the synonyme of a good watch.

BG
Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thomas, I completely agree; *$ is just awfull!!! I roast and brew my own coffee and consider myself something of an expert on the matter, it is a sad fact that Starbucks keeps on lowering the standard and ruining peoples palette. As far as I am concerned they are the Snickers of the coffee world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:13 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I am also an avid starbucks customer, but in the end you can't defy science. A Coffee is Coffee; it's just masked with other agents to make it taste better. I love my Grande Soy Caramel Maicaito. But, in the end it's all about flavoring and marketing. On my local TV news, they did a story on predicting people’s personalities and they had a psychiatrist look at footage of random people walking around Manhattan. And he basically said that people that buy high priced coffee, have inferiority complexes. I buy into that because if we as individuals really didn't care about what coffee we drink or watch we wear, then we could all be sipping home brewed coffee and wearing Casio watches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

defiancekofb wrote:
A Coffee is Coffee; it's just masked with other agents to make it taste better.

That right there is my point, you have never tasted a really good cup of coffee if you think it needs additives or artificial flavorings to make taste good.

defiancekofb wrote:
Grande Soy Caramel Maicaito. But, in the end it's all about flavoring and marketing. On my local TV news, they did a story on predicting people’s personalities and they had a psychiatrist look at footage of random people walking around Manhattan. And he basically said that people that buy high priced coffee, have inferiority complexes. I buy into that because if we as individuals really didn't care about what coffee we drink or watch we wear, then we could all be sipping home brewed coffee and wearing Casio watches.

Completely disagree with that!!! Most people I know hate my Lings, the few who asked and found out they cost as much as a Rolex thought I was nuts, that did not detract from my enjoyment at all. And I do drink home brewed because I cant find a place that serves a decent cup of coffee, I would love to just drop in and get my fix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:25 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

i agree that starbucks is utter crap and is ruining an entire generation of coffee drinkers, but i alwas liked coffee from dunkin donuts. that's just a relatively good cup of cheap joe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:52 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Ok this has been going on for too long without mention of the emperor of java - my fellow Canadians you know of what I speak.....

Please all bow down and pay homage to the one, the only.....

Tim Hortons :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:07 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

alright people its all up to us to make the decision on how we like our coffee. not everybody would go to starbucks to buy the same coffee taste wouldn't they, and not to mention all of people aren't going to the same store because there are a lot of coffee store to choose from.

another reason for example.
why some people like to drive BMW and only BMW like myself. It is because the style and the attitude. my father always been a big fan of LEXUS and infact, i had a lot of chance to drive one of his but it wasn't my style. don't get me wrong its a nice car but not for my taste. I believe that the germans are good engineer and they are well known for that, but they are into powers and not focusing in style compare to italian. in the other hand, japanese are good in developing specially electronics. anyway, my point is everybody have their own talents to do certain things.

for the switzerland manufacture of precision instrument engineering is higly important, as is watch making. they just dont make watch they have passion to it, and that's what make them become the best. a lot of countries already try to mimic their style but without talent the project is not precise. i just adore them when they make watch, i think it's on their blood.

people's prospective when you ask them whos the best watch maker. they would say exaclty what you thought it would be.