It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Inherited Breitling
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:28 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Greetings Everyone,

I got my Breitling over 5 years ago. I found it in a box of various items from the house of my father's cousin when he passed away. I dont know when he got the watch or how long he had it. There was no band and the watch wasnt running.

I have been looking on the net as to what year this model was produced. I did find a posting the other day on the Watchuseek Watch Forums about the Breitling Navitimer. According to the picture on that post I have a 1955 Navitimer with the Valjoux 72 movement. It has the "B" logo instead of the AOPA wings. This is the only watch like mine I have seen online.

The watch does work and keeps pretty good time. The face of the watch is showing its age. The hands have lost their sheen and the numbers are a rather dull gold color. The white ring in the bezel of the flight computer is off white and dull as well. I would like to wear the watch but I'm worried that it being so old it should be serviced before it becomes a daily wear item again. I would like to get it restored so it looks fresh and is easier to read. Anyone know of a restoration shop that can help me with this old a Breitling?

Thanks in advance,

Post subject: Re: Inherited Breitling
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:56 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Brian wrote:
Greetings Everyone,

I got my Breitling over 5 years ago. I found it in a box of various items from the house of my father's cousin when he passed away. I dont know when he got the watch or how long he had it. There was no band and the watch wasnt running.

I have been looking on the net as to what year this model was produced. I did find a posting the other day on the Watchuseek Watch Forums about the Breitling Navitimer. According to the picture on that post I have a 1955 Navitimer with the Valjoux 72 movement. It has the "B" logo instead of the AOPA wings. This is the only watch like mine I have seen online.

The watch does work and keeps pretty good time. The face of the watch is showing its age. The hands have lost their sheen and the numbers are a rather dull gold color. The white ring in the bezel of the flight computer is off white and dull as well. I would like to wear the watch but I'm worried that it being so old it should be serviced before it becomes a daily wear item again. I would like to get it restored so it looks fresh and is easier to read. Anyone know of a restoration shop that can help me with this old a Breitling?

Thanks in advance,

Sounds like you have a nice Navitimer. If you get the serial number off the case back you can find out the exact year it was made. I'd think really good about whether to restore it to new condition because they look just fine when they have a little age on them. There are two schools on when to service. The first says you should do it about every five years and the others say if it is working fine and keeping accurate time, leave it alone. I think it will cost as much to repair and it will to service anyway. The Heist's at http://horologicalservices.com/ are about the leading authority on restoring vintage Breitling's and are recommended by the factory for vintage watches. They do first rate work but it's not cheap.

Welcome to the forum!

Paul

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:50 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks for the welcome Paul. I found the serial number on the inside of the back cover. I'll wear it for a bit and see how it does. Its kept good time the last couple of days. I have noticed that the sweep hand doesn't line up properly when zeroed. Not a huge deal. It would be nice to get the hands and the crystal replaced just for easy of reading the dial. I have exchanged a few emails with Horological Services about a year ago and I quickly got the feeling that I would end up spending more than I was comfortable with. So I didnt pursue it any further. Oh well, I'll enjoy the watch while it still ticks.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Welcome to the forum, Brian. I hope you can continue to enjoy your vintage Breitling for many years!

Post subject: Thanks for the welcome.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:52 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thank you for the welcome Admin. According to the serial number of my navitimer it was manufactured in 1955. I'll link a picture of it below. It's still a nice looking time piece for 52 years old. The age it is showing only adds to its character. However, the scratches on the crystal, and the dullness of the primary hands does make it difficult to read at a glance. Might consider getting that addressed in the future. The movement inside is very clean with no signs of corrosion at all. How long does one usually run on a full winding? I'm winding it about once a day.

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:25 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Welcome in Brian.....thats a very nice looking watch you have there, something about the authenticity of a completely unrestored piece, but I see what you mean about the hands.....might be worth getting those "sympathetically" retored, and the crystal too of course, but I think I would leave the rest just "as is", after all anyone can have a new looking Navitimer, but not one like yours! I am sure you will enjoy it in here, I recently dicovered this place and it has been a nice friendly place to be......just remember to wear your sun specs when Mr Ling comes online :lol: .......and don't let him talk you into a diamond bezel for your 'timer :lol: , just kidding Mr Ling :wink:

Best regards David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
After I join the Full Ling club ;) I want to get myself a vintage peice... a bigger vintage peice, one that I will want to wear. That's a nice watch.. but I'd want to replace the hands and crystal on it too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:09 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

If the crystal is acrylic, try polywatch compound to buff it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:15 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

A beautiful vintage watch. I like the way it is. It shows its age and wisdom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:36 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

That really does look good Brian. If it were mine I'd be tempted to get the hands re-lumed and the crystal polished - nothing more. Originality is all important with a watch of that vintage. :) :)

Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:48 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
Very cool piece!

Welcome aboard. You even spell your name the RIGHT way. With an "i".

~Brian