All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Vintage Navitimer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:49 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Attachment:
2B411D4D-C079-4835-99CA-C20DD3623599.jpeg
My father was a Navy pilot and flight instructor. He passed away and I found this in a box. It’s rough but running great .
A little help here : I know nothing about Breitling’s

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Vintage Navitimer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:42 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
Woodywatch wrote:
Attachment:
2B411D4D-C079-4835-99CA-C20DD3623599.jpeg
My father was a Navy pilot and flight instructor. He passed away and I found this in a box. It’s rough but running great .
A little help here : I know nothing about Breitling’s

A very nice heirloom. As you have probably worked out, it’s a Breitling Navitimer reference 806, probably from the late-1950. On the inside of the case back, there is a serial number and that will let you determine the year it was manufactured based on the table I have attached below. Based on the markings on the dial, it looks like it is pretty rare. So you can learn a bit more, I suggest you search the Internet on "vintage breitling 806". To get you started, I suggest you read through Kurt Broendum's excellent website:

http://kurt-b.com

If it has been sitting around for a while, and not serviced, you probably should get it serviced. However, you will want to find a very competent independent watchmaker sympathetic to vintage watch, preferably knowledgeable in Breitling watches. Please do not give it to Breitling, as they are likely to strip out all the vintage charm, which will very significantly lower the value of this rare watch.

Let us know where in the world you are located and someone may be able to recommend a watchmaker in your country, and hopefully nearby.

Edit: I've just noticed that possibly two of the sub-dial hands are detached. Are they floating around between the dial and crystal. If you have these, do not lose them as they are extremely hard (read, almost impossible) to replace.

buddman likes this post.
 Post subject: Re: Vintage Navitimer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:05 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Thank you so much . Just the info I was looking for . The serial number indicates that The Watch was made in 1957