The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:58 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi everyone - firstly, I'll try to not do that thing which seems to plague every watch forum, and have some random newbie pitch up with questions about the watch they've just bought...

I'm a watch collector, mostly Seiko, Heuer & Omega, but I got interested in a couple of Breitlings (mostly through the Time4aPint GTGs and podcasts - check them out on http://www.time4apint.com if you haven't already), especially the vintage Cal11 era.

Now, I went a bit mad at an online auction recently and picked up the spoils of my session earlier today, one of which purports to be a 2114...

My concerns on getting it home and having a good look...
* I'm pretty sure the hands have been repainted - should it even have orange hour and minute hands, or black and white?
* The dial is more marked than it looked in the photos I saw - some might call it patina.
* It's a Cal 11 but I'm pretty sure I saw a white-faced 2114 online (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hau-Breitling ... 7675.l2557) which has Cal 12 and is only 1 number later in the serial no, which seems fishy (this one is 1239039; maybe the ebay one is fishy as well?)
* I'm not quite sure that Breitling BoR style bracelet is original to the watch as it has curved end links
* quite a few 2114s I can see have just T Swiss T at the bottom of the dial, whereas some (like this one) have T Swiss Made T on either side of the date window - is one a tell tale or being earlier or later?

SO - what do you reckon? Have I bought a pup?
I might be able to return it to the auction house if I could say it's a forgery, ie a deliberate franken vs a watch that's been mucked about with... and I'd welcome any expert opinion!

Obligatory crappy phone pics - I'll get some better ones later, in proper light with a proper camera...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 185 posts
Watch is perfectly correct. I don’t know about that bracelet though (but may be fine, just don’t know).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:08 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 43 posts
Yes. Correct . The dial differences you refer to reflect the type of bezel (an option at the time). If you look closely the dials with 't swiss made t' either side of the date window do not have UPH scale. The other dial types do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ewand likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:05 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Thanks for the reassurance guys :) Buyer's remorse is such a b***h :)

There's a blob of white paint on the centre of the chrono hand which makes me think the hands aren't original - either that or when it was worked on previously, the paint came off the middle of the hand and it was clumsily blobbed on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:49 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 364 posts
ewand wrote:
makes me think the hands aren't original - either that or when it was worked on previously, the paint was clumsily blobbed on.

Not uncommon - 50 years of wear and tear. Given that your dial is patinated, new hands will look odd so suggest you just have the existing hands repainted properly if it really bothers you.