The Breitling Watch Source Forums
http://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/

1966 Breitling Navitimer opinion
http://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=63686
Page 1 of 1

Author:  niconne [ Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:54 pm ]
Post subject:  1966 Breitling Navitimer opinion

Hi, I’d like to have your opininions about the full originality of this Navitimer:

http://www.chrono24.com/breitling/navit ... 074345.htm

Is it normal that the small second subdial is not symmetrical with the minute register? (It seems to be moved to the left).

Thanks

Author:  arcadelt [ Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 1966 Breitling Navitimer opinion

niconne wrote:
Is it normal that the small second subdial is not symmetrical with the minute register? (It seems to be moved to the left).


Do you mean because the minute subdial is slightly closer to the minute track than the 30-minute totaliser subdial?

Author:  niconne [ Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 1966 Breitling Navitimer opinion

Yes, the 2 subdials have a differen distance from the minute track. Is it normal?

In addition I would like to know if all the parts are corrects for this version (hands, slide rule etc.) and if the required price it’s acceptable.

In other words, it’s worth to buy it or not?
And if the watch it’s ok but the price too high, what could be the right price?

Thanks for your patience... :bow:

Author:  wills0_9 [ Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 1966 Breitling Navitimer opinion

niconne wrote:
Hi, I’d like to have your opininions about the full originality of this Navitimer:

http://www.chrono24.com/breitling/navit ... 074345.htm

Is it normal that the small second subdial is not symmetrical with the minute register? (It seems to be moved to the left).

Thanks


Yes. The sub dial layout is normal.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Author:  buddman [ Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 1966 Breitling Navitimer opinion

You should be able to find a good Navi on eBay or via watch sites for between 2.5 and 3k if you are not hunting for something specific.

This one is on Chronotrader yesterday, seller normally reasonable on price flexibility ( no affiliation with me) . Lume might be s bit dark but otherwise looks ok.

http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/chr ... d;id=79865

Author:  niconne [ Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 1966 Breitling Navitimer opinion

Hi buddman, thanks a lot for your precious information about the price rage and the link to Chronotrader. It seems that you know this seller: is he reliable?
the watch is really nice. but I noticed 2 things:
-the red box (and the red arrow) on the inner dial is more faded that the one on the slide rule;
-there is a scratch in the small second sub-dial:

do you think these 2 imperfections can depreciate the watch to even lower than 3350eur?

one more question: the price-range indicated in your post is referred to a navitimer late 60ies double jet logo.
what about the maximum price for a late 50ies, full black, rice beads bezel, aopa logo, full original, unpolished in really good conditions? I found one but I really cannot define whether the requested price is too high.

thanks again

Author:  buddman [ Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 1966 Breitling Navitimer opinion

niconne wrote:
It seems that you know this seller: is he reliable?


In my experience, yes

niconne wrote:
-the red box (and the red arrow) on the inner dial is more faded that the one on the slide rule;
-there is a scratch in the small second sub-dial


The fading difference is normal and the scratch is inconsequential and microscopic. Not an issue. The only issue from my view is the lume is a bit more blackened than I might care for.

niconne wrote:
what about the maximum price for a late 50ies, full black, rice beads bezel, aopa logo, full original, unpolished in really good conditions? I found one but I really cannot define whether the requested price is too high.


I am by no means the source/arbitrator of market pricing, but I suspect a Venus based all black in good condition, non retail price is 4K-5k these days. Prices will go higher for minty examples.

Author:  Dracha [ Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 1966 Breitling Navitimer opinion

buddman wrote:
niconne wrote:
what about the maximum price for a late 50ies, full black, rice beads bezel, aopa logo, full original, unpolished in really good conditions? I found one but I really cannot define whether the requested price is too high.


I am by no means the source/arbitrator of market pricing, but I suspect a Venus based all black in good condition, non retail price is 4K-5k these days. Prices will go higher for minty examples.


depending on the condition , in particular the lume on the dial and the dial, they can go much higher ?

Author:  buddman [ Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 1966 Breitling Navitimer opinion

Chronotrader watch is now sold apparently.

Author:  niconne [ Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 1966 Breitling Navitimer opinion

buddman wrote:
Chronotrader watch is now sold apparently.


yes, I contacted him but unfortunately the watch was sold meanwhile.

Author:  niconne [ Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 1966 Breitling Navitimer opinion

Dracha wrote:
buddman wrote:
niconne wrote:
what about the maximum price for a late 50ies, full black, rice beads bezel, aopa logo, full original, unpolished in really good conditions? I found one but I really cannot define whether the requested price is too high.


I am by no means the source/arbitrator of market pricing, but I suspect a Venus based all black in good condition, non retail price is 4K-5k these days. Prices will go higher for minty examples.


depending on the condition , in particular the lume on the dial and the dial, they can go much higher ?


Let say a top condition watch like the one on the picture (from internet). What can be the reasonable price for it?
I've read some article stating that the price of this kind of watches (these models in these conditions I mean) have been rising in the last few years... but could be interesting to know where we are now with the prices. I got a proposal for something similar but I'm not sure how to judge it...

Author:  Kurt B [ Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 1966 Breitling Navitimer opinion

Quote:
what about the maximum price for a late 50ies, full black, rice beads bezel, aopa logo, full original, unpolished in really good conditions? I found one but I really cannot define whether the requested price is too high.


Quote:
Let say a top condition watch like the one on the picture (from internet). What can be the reasonable price for it?
I've read some article stating that the price of this kind of watches (these models in these conditions I mean) have been rising in the last few years... but could be interesting to know where we are now with the prices. I got a proposal for something similar but I'm not sure how to judge it...


Nico,

Since the watch you have been offered - and pictured, is my watch, I'll be happy to respond.

It's not an easy question to answer, as so many factors is important.

If you want a black AOPA that looks like it has been run over by a truck, then I agree with Budmann, you can find one @ US $ 4-5 k, best place to look is eBay.

Important factors are.:
Has it been polished, how much and how well was the work done, is all the Radium present on the numbers, is the color even and attractive, are there any imperfections to the dial at all, has any parts been replaced with non original ones, does it come with any original accessories etc.

In your case, being a non knowledge Navitimer guy, I would certainly stay off 2nd / 3rd best pieces from sellers you do not trust unconditionally, and try to buy the best possible example, and from a seller you trust, you can get severely burned if not, as there's a truckload of junk Navitimers out there.

The watch you picture comes (as you know) with original Wakmann box, original strap from 1959 and even the original crystal, it's a one owner piece, fresh from an estate, and it shows very little use.

Image

So what is a watch like that worth (not a reasonable price) - well, at the end of the day it's quite simple, it's worth what somebody is ready to pay, and some guys are ready to pay big bucks for watches like that one.

Unlike many other sellers, I do not discuss my prices, or lower them if my watches do not sell, I actually do the opposite - I raise them, as that is the way those watches are going.

So to comment on the following.:
Quote:
I've read some article stating that the price of this kind of watches (these models in these conditions I mean) have been rising in the last few years...


The answer is simple - YES they go up, and they go up fast, so you better buy one asap, as in a foreseeable future, the prices will be much higher (that is obviously if you can find one at all), and especially on a piece like this.

As a "high end" reference, you might want to use this https://www.phillips.com/detail/BREITLING/CH080016/33, and come in mind that there's a buyer's premium on top of the selling price, it's earlier than the one you picture, described as coming with some paperwork, but definitely in less good condition IMO.

My advice has always been - and will always be, buy the best possible examples you can find, and pay the price if you can afford it, as the skies are the limit for those pieces.

We are talking very collectible art here, as much as watches, and history has by no doubt proven, that very collectible art only goes one way in terms of value, and it's not down....

Kurt / http://www.kurt-b.com

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/