The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:10 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361824948686?_trksid=p2055359.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Can anyone tell me if this is real? Also, how do you determine if it's real or not? Thank you :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 185 posts
It's real but a reprinted dial.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:25 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

davedc74 wrote:
It's real but a reprinted dial.

What do you mean by reprinted dial? Is that bad or common?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 185 posts
It means that the dial was in poor condition or replaced and reprinted. So it has lost much of its value to a collector.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:30 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

davedc74 wrote:
It means that the dial was in poor condition or replaced and reprinted. So it has lost much of its value to a collector.

So would it be a bad purchase? I'd love to have a Breitling watch and not looking to resale at any point.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
it is an excellent redial - the watch isn't a collectors piece, but if you like the look, go for it.
just be aware the ref. 789 is quite small bei today's standards, a bit below 33mm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:53 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

WatchFred wrote:
it is an excellent redial - the watch isn't a collectors piece, but if you like the look, go for it.
just be aware the ref. 789 is quite small bei today's standards, a bit below 33mm

OK, good to know. There's one that I fell in love with, but someone told me it was totally fake and I'm bummed about it. What would be the highest reasonably to go on this?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:31 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

around 1k would be reasonable

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:01 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Interesting that his other offering, a ref 790, has almost the same dial redo. A good job but pretty obvious.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Breitling-Stainless-Steel-Chronograph-Wristwatch-Ref-790-Military-1940-s-/222311091105?hash=item33c2c60ba1:g:~bgAAOSwx2dYJNFP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:58 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

vintage wrote:
Interesting that his other offering, a ref 790, has almost the same dial redo. A good job but pretty obvious.

[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Breitling-Stainless-Steel-Chronograph-Wristwatch-Ref-790-Military-1940-s-/222311091105?hash=item33c2c60ba1:g:~bgAAOSwx2dYJNFP[/url

So how can you tell the dial is redone? Also, for the url you posted, how can you tell that one is real? From the back of the watch it didn't seem to be to me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:00 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
The case is genuine although the YXL import code on the balance cock isn't normally seen in a Breitling. To see two dials in two different watches that are so similar in finish and format just screams something's amiss. With redials I've always found that checking sellers other auctions on ebay will often show more than one redial which usually confirms my suspicions.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:07 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 10 posts
These are 70 year old watches. Generally dials this old show at least some fading/wear. Particularly the smaller, outside numbers (the tachymeter scale). I would also expect some patina or light rusting on the dial. Although, its not impossible to find dials this old in excellent condition.

There are more subtle things that show its a redial. I am not experienced enough to give a complete list, but here are a couple of things to consider:

-The font for "Breitling" appears a little more angled and curvy than it should be.
-The font for "Premier" appears to be a bit larger than usual.
-The "g" in Breitling runs into the "r" in Premier. I have never seen that in an original dial.

When in doubt, compare the dial to some of the same era that are known to be genuine and look for the subtle differences.

Usually redials are MUCH easier to spot due to sloppy printing. For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Chronom ... SwNRdYAP4r

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:38 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

one easy "tell" to add for this example: Breitling always combined lume dials with lume hands, it also makes very little sense to have lumed arabics that glow in the dark, but non-lume baton hnads that you can't see, does it ? ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:43 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Joseph85282 wrote:
These are 70 year old watches. Generally dials this old show at least some fading/wear. Particularly the smaller, outside numbers (the tachymeter scale). I would also expect some patina or light rusting on the dial. Although, its not impossible to find dials this old in excellent condition.

There are more subtle things that show its a redial. I am not experienced enough to give a complete list, but here are a couple of things to consider:

-The font for "Breitling" appears a little more angled and curvy than it should be.
-The font for "Premier" appears to be a bit larger than usual.
-The "g" in Breitling runs into the "r" in Premier. I have never seen that in an original dial.

When in doubt, compare the dial to some of the same era that are known to be genuine and look for the subtle differences.

Usually redials are MUCH easier to spot due to sloppy printing. For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Chronom ... SwNRdYAP4r

Oh wow thank you! Now that you pointed that out I'll definitely keep an eye out. Usually good with the little details, but since I'm running blind on Breitlings I didn't want to over analyze. So the right photos are ones known to be real? The bottom silver one is beautiful. Ya, I just want to find a real, vintage Breitling. Just love the vintage style and the look. I found this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/332016653796 and someone on here told me it was fake and I was super bummed.
Is there anything on the mechanics (back of watch) that I should keep an eye out for?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:46 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

WatchFred wrote:
one easy "tell" to add for this example: Breitling always combined lume dials with lume hands, it also makes very little sense to have lumed arabics that glow in the dark, but non-lume baton hnads that you can't see, does it ? ;)

Oh dang you're so right too! I didn't notice that either!