The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:29 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 10 posts
AshweeinCA: stay far away from the one you linked above (http://www.ebay.com/itm/332016653796)

Besides being a redial, I don't think any part of that watch was ever a Breitling. That movement is a Venus 170 which was commonly used by Breitling. However, I have only seen Breitling use 45-minute registers with Venus 170's and this one is a 30-minute register (the top circle on the dial). Not to mention the movement says "Wakmann" on it :D There are numerous issues with the case as well.

You will commonly find watches being sold "as Breilting" (ie: "Wakmann as Breitling"). Most are probably fine watches, but they are not true Breitlings and not nearly as collectible. Here is an article that helps explain it: http://www.woundforlife.com/2015/07/20/lessons-in-wristory-whats-a-wakmann/

As far as what to look for, you will have to make the decision of how much time and energy you want to invest in learning about vintage Breitlings. This forum is a great place to do that, as are several others. Otherwise you can always post photos prior to purchasing and ask others for their opinions. However, opinions are just that, and there are grey areas. Finding certain models or time periods that you like best may help (so that you can focus your efforts). One big division in the world of vintage chronographs is "pillar wheel movements" vs. "cam switched movements." That's a good place to start learning, and Breitling used both. Generally, Breitling Premier = pillar wheel & Breitling Cadette = cam switched.

Personally, I have a relatively small collection of vintage Breitlings. I like the more affordable "up-down" column wheel chronographs from the 1940's with Venus 170 movements. I have a few others too. That one pictured above with the silver dial that you liked is a "Breitling reference 787" from 1945. It has a Venus 152 column wheel movement. It is my favorite Breitling that I own. However, a purist collector would be quick to point out that the pushers and the crown are both replacements. That does not bother me since the case, dial, and movement are all original and in great condition. Some owner before me did a nice sympathetic restoration and I am perfectly happy with it.

Good luck.