The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:32 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi I am new to the forum and wondered if anyone could help me identify this watch which I bought for my husband some years ago. The model number printed on the vack is 367749 - hopefully the pictures will help
Attachment:
P1020648.JPG
Attachment:
P1020658.JPG
Attachment:
P1020656.JPG
Attachment:
P1020655.JPG
Attachment:
P1020654.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:34 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
sorry, but the watch seems to be fake.
the "Breitling Geneve" can only appear on watches after 1952, the serial number would imply this watch was produced sometimes in the 30s ...
there is no model reference on the back cover, something that any post 52 Breitling would have.
still, it is a nice watch and I hope your husband will wear it in health and keep enjoying it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:54 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
Hi mandyf,

Welcome and enjoy your stay here.

I am struggling to be a little more authoritive on Breitling, therefore I could be well out of line here, so please pardon me if I am in error. There are also some extremely authorative members here who might be able to fill in where I might be wrong.

My quick reference on your watch would suggest the serial number on the back is from 1946 for non-chronograph watches. There are similar watches in Benno Richter’s book on Breitling as well. The book does not cover all models but there are some similarities with ones that it does cover, especially with the arrowhead batons (replacing the numbers on the watch face). That particular book also shows some wristwatches with the words Breitling Geneve from 1942 & 1948, so maybe this one is a genuine Breitling. The only thing that bothers me is the lack of a signed bridge in the watch mechanism. It usually says Breitling somewhere in the gubbins, which I can't see in this case, from the pics you have supplied. Its not a named watch as far as I can see, so it is just called a Breitling Wristwatch. It would certainly fool me if it were proved not to be a Breitling, and you never know these days. Hope this helps.

Nice looking watch anyway and I hope your Husband likes wearing it.

Regards

Jim

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:18 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
P51 wrote:
Hi mandyf,

Welcome and enjoy your stay here.

I am struggling to be a little more authoritive on Breitling, therefore I could be well out of line here, so please pardon me if I am in error. There are also some extremely authorative members here who might be able to fill in where I might be wrong.

My quick reference on your watch would suggest the serial number on the back is from 1946 for non-chronograph watches. There are similar watches in Benno Richter’s book on Breitling as well. The book does not cover all models but there are some similarities with ones that it does cover, especially with the arrowhead batons (replacing the numbers on the watch face). That particular book also shows some wristwatches with the words Breitling Geneve from 1942 & 1948, so maybe this one is a genuine Breitling. The only thing that bothers me is the lack of a signed bridge in the watch mechanism. It usually says Breitling somewhere in the gubbins, which I can't see in this case, from the pics you have supplied. Its not a named watch as far as I can see, so it is just called a Breitling Wristwatch. It would certainly fool me if it were proved not to be a Breitling, and you never know these days. Hope this helps.

Nice looking watch anyway and I hope your Husband likes wearing it.

Regards

Jim

It is categorically not a genuine Breitling. Please don't rely on Richter as a sole source for validation. Breitling did not move to Geneva until 1952 so no legitimate Breitling can carry Geneve on the dial with a pre 1952 serial number.

Caseback styling and stamping is also wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:26 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Roffensian wrote:
It is categorically not a genuine Breitling. Please don't rely on Richter as a sole source for validation. Breitling did not move to Geneva until 1952 so no legitimate Breitling can carry Geneve on the dial with a pre 1952 serial number.

Caseback styling and stamping is also wrong.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:12 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
The "Geneve" also doesn't look consistent with others I've seen...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:26 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
Sorry Peoples. My mistake.

I have learned some very important things from this post and I thank you for the correction and redirect.

Sorry Mandy, my lessons learnt have been at the expense of your enquiry being settled sooner.

Regards all.

Jim

"You have Control".