Liked in: 0 post
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 1438.l2649

FAKE ?

Post subject: Re: WHAT IS THIS ?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:38 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
I don't think this one is correct either...

Post subject: Re: WHAT IS THIS ?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:47 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
I am no expert and would defer to others here, but I have been looking to see what this one actually is, and in the hope I can be of some assistance to you. A few things in the description made me wonder (probably like you) where this one sits in the model line up. Although my thinking does not mean the item is not genuine, but it does raise my eye line when the description is open to some interpretation.

The two vertical sub registers are not so usual for Breitling and although I found a 711 B 12 from 1938, this only had one pusher. The swivel lugs look right but I can only find one example, with sub dials at 3 & 9 (a 721 13). Both these watches do not appear to have the V170 movement however, but that’s not to say that I have the right watches anyway. Close but maybe no cigar. I have also found a 1940 Premier with a Telemeter layout similar to this, but it does not have square pushers and the lugs are modern on that model, so I would discount this one as well. A Chronograph with Telemeter scale seems a fair way to describe this one.

I can't find any Breitling Telemeter watch with this font style either, but that does not mean to say a model update saw the maker use italics at some stage, as I have found one other reference (on another forum) for this style using italic fonts. Google Breitling 170.

What’s probably more telling is……….. There are only a limited number of Breitling models that use the V170 movement, and I also wonder if the 170 movement is maybe just a little early for an art deco period watch. I will probably stand corrected, but the only Ref # I can find are the Breitling 170, 178, 180, 769 (Chromomat). I would have thought there would have been more ref # using the V170 movement, but not so. So doubt in my mind again about which model this one is. Its definitely not a 769, but do the other three models help you? Perhaps a ref # 170?

The watch seems, for all intents and purposes, to be a whole and reasonable watch for a Breitling. Keep in mind the Telemeter scale is probably the least useful feature of this watch and one would argue that the bidding so far is based on a real collectors item (I suppose that’s obvious). For my money though, I would be looking somewhere else in the Breitling range as this one is blunted by the price, already.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Jim

"You have Control".